Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

If nothing else you will get to watch my favorite NSIC official work the game.

Nebraska defeats SMSU 79-38 in a game that counted for Nebraska but was an exhibition for SMSU

Per Nebraska media.....SMSU was paid $30,000 for the game and will use the money towards locker room renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Per Nebraska media.....SMSU was paid $30,000 for the game and will use the money towards locker room renovations.
    Nice chunk of change. Upgrades would be nice, the current locker room is small.

Looks like that Nebraska game helped us get the rust off.

The South looks to be a huge battle for the rest of the year with both WSC and Augie starting out hot and giving Kato, USF, and SMSU a real battle for the top part of the conference. Upper has also gotten back into the mix.

top 2 teams come into Marshall this weekend. Should be fun!

need to defend the home court this weekend and somehow battle to get the sweep at home. That would really be big.

Bruggeman is having a good year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    Bruggeman is having a good year so far.
    My overly simplified prediction for the WSC game. Slowing down Bruggeman is the key to beating Southwest. This task will primarily fall to Vance Janssen, who has the combined traits of being an excellent defender, but is also very foul-prone. Janssen gets called for more ticky-tack, far from the basket fouls than any player in my recent memory, and Bruggeman has the reputation of causing such fouls. Janssen is simultaneously the key player to running Wayne's fast break and half court offense. The Wildcats simply aren't the same team without him at the point. So, I think the outcome may be determined as much by the officiating of this matchup as anything else. If officials call a tight game and Janssen gets in early foul trouble as he did vs Augie the Wildcats are in big trouble. If they let the players play and he stays on the floor I think Wayne has a decent chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by cat fan View Post
    My overly simplified prediction for the WSC game. Slowing down Bruggeman is the key to beating Southwest. This task will primarily fall to Vance Janssen, who has the combined traits of being an excellent defender, but is also very foul-prone. Janssen gets called for more ticky-tack, far from the basket fouls than any player in my recent memory, and Bruggeman has the reputation of causing such fouls. Janssen is simultaneously the key player to running Wayne's fast break and half court offense. The Wildcats simply aren't the same team without him at the point. So, I think the outcome may be determined as much by the officiating of this matchup as anything else. If officials call a tight game and Janssen gets in early foul trouble as he did vs Augie the Wildcats are in big trouble. If they let the players play and he stays on the floor I think Wayne has a decent chance to win.
    I believe Wayne switches just about everything on defens so I’m not sure any one player will be responsible for Bruggeman...it will be all 5 guys unless Wayne does something different this game from what they have done all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    I believe Wayne switches just about everything on defens so I’m not sure any one player will be responsible for Bruggeman...it will be all 5 guys unless Wayne does something different this game from what they have done all season.
    I can confirm they switched nearly everything vs Augie on Sunday. It hampered the Vikings ability to create space in the first half.

Sure, they switch on almost every well-executed screen in the half court, but they switch back as soon as opportunity presents. Everyone will get Bruggeman occasionally. However Janssen pretty much always draws the opposing point guard in the open court and at the start of half court sets, which is where he also tends to get into unnecessary foul trouble. Believe me, I'd love to see him play 35 minutes...just not certain that is realistic vs Bruggeman given the tendencies I have seen. If he has to sit half of the game like he did last weekend it probably won't end well.
    Last edited by cat fan; 01-03-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Really looking forward to this game. Wayne obviously much improved.

I know folks focus on Bruggeman, but the key to our season from the start and going forward is really simple -- Taylor Schafer, Nick Dufault, Mike Lee, Braeden Hanson, and Kenny Byers need to make 3 point shots. If Ryan gets into the lane, he is double teamed and those guys are wide open for 3 pt shots.

In the games we have won, those guys have shot ok to good and hit 3s. In the games we have lost, they have stunk up the joint.

This is so important because then if we hit shots and get a lead, Ryan just isolates down the stretch and gets either a layup or gets to the line where he shoots 85%. I am sure Bigler would tell me it is slightly more complicated than this, but this is a summary.

I expect 2 barn burners this weekend. I expect lots of good basketball and guys making plays and wonderful effort from all 3 teams. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    Really looking forward to this game. Wayne obviously much improved.

I know folks focus on Bruggeman, but the key to our season from the start and going forward is really simple -- Taylor Schafer, Nick Dufault, Mike Lee, Braeden Hanson, and Kenny Byers need to make 3 point shots. If Ryan gets into the lane, he is double teamed and those guys are wide open for 3 pt shots.

In the games we have won, those guys have shot ok to good and hit 3s. In the games we have lost, they have stunk up the joint.

This is so important because then if we hit shots and get a lead, Ryan just isolates down the stretch and gets either a layup or gets to the line where he shoots 85%. I am sure Bigler would tell me it is slightly more complicated than this, but this is a summary.
    Bigler probably would say it’s more complicated than that, but it really isn’t much more complicated. Not much different than watching the Houston rockets...keep the ball in Bruggeman/hardens hands and see what happens. Wouldn’t doubt if some teams play around with box and 1 against Smsu at some point in near future.

we played good for 35 minutes against Augie. Just couldn't score the last 4:36. That happens.

Played poorly and without fire against Wayne. We stunk it up. Disappointing.

Lots of season left,, but need to kick it in the butt.

16. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Nice chunk of change. Upgrades would be nice, the current locker room is small.
    I've never been in the locker facilities - do football and basketball share the same rooms or do they get separate spaces?

This weekend's Hall of Honor inductions (Scott and Chad Koenen) had me wondering who would be on the SMSU men's basketball Mt. Rushmore. Ready, go!

This weekend's Hall of Honor inductions (Scott and Chad Koenen) had me wondering who would be on the SMSU men's basketball Mt. Rushmore. Ready, go!
    Bruggeman, Bruggeman, Bruggeman and Bruggeman.

Bruggeman, Bruggeman, Bruggeman and Bruggeman.
    1/4 correct

1/4 correct
    Thank Moorhead for choosing kretchman over Bruggeman 5 years ago.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast