Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    But, can't have 1 player score 40% of your points in a conference game and win many and that has happened in both games 40% in one game 50% in the next. Funny thought reminds you just how good Ryan is. They have thrown the kitchen sink at him defensively and yet he has back to back 30 point games in the NSIC. Not sure the last time a guy did that?....
    November 2018...MSSU's Cam Martin came really close with 28 vs St Cloud and 49 vs Mankato, which was 49% of MSSU's 100 points in their win over Minnesota State.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Not saying Bruggeman brings any drama at all. He appears to be great teammate. That has nothing to do with my point. My point is simply style of play...when one player on a team dominates so much of the ball on offense.
    That was the analogy I said I understood.

My point was separate, reagarding the drama and pertained to your Towns/Butler comment Towns didn't get better simply due to getting more opportunities with the ball. Butler destroyed team chemistry (partly due to dominating the ball but also his selfishness overall). I was saying that Bruggeman doesn't have that to him. Probably an easier conversation than writing! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Wonder if the entire offense didn’t focus on Bruggeman so much if SMSU would be better off? Si Olaf to jimmy butler leaving wolves. Bruggeman tremendous player, but the ball always in his hands. Not sure if they have any other playmakers, but hard to beat the top teams if you have one playmaker and four other guys standing around waiting to play off the one playmaker?? I know I’m oversimplifying this...
    Interesting thought. Obviously not normal for SMSU which loves balance up and down the lineup. This is a bit of an abberration, but he is very good and until roles can be figured out I would expect more Ryan. If other guys step up, his load should go down. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Interesting thought. Obviously not normal for SMSU which loves balance up and down the lineup. This is a bit of an abberration, but he is very good and until roles can be figured out I would expect more Ryan. If other guys step up, his load should go down. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Little bit chicken or egg...can others really be expected to step up into bigger roles if entire offense built around Bruggeman...again I love Bruggeman as a player and understand how good he is...

5. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

The year AFTER our all-time leading scorer (Greg Garton) graduated, we made it to the national tourney (never made it when he was here).

Evidence article 2: the year we went to the final four we had a guard who turned out to be the all-time career leader in assists (around 800 in 117 games) and steals (nearly 400). At one point he had the D2 records for both categories (Eddin Santiago).

SWMSU has probably been at their best when Bruggeman was the floor general but not necessarily having to carry the team with his scoring.

It's not like Ryan just dribbles the ball for 25 seconds and hoists a shot every possession. He's running the offense, passing it to where he should. But guys are either missing shots or not taking them, which can lead to Ryan getting the ball back late in the clock.

A lot of the supporting cast has seen major dips in their shooting percentage from nonconference play to conference play.
    Schafer: .492 to .407
    Lee: .514 to .286
    Dufault: .607 to .333
    Hanson: .575 to .167

Those are the main places the Mustangs get their scoring punch outside of Bruggeman. I know a regression is natural after playing a soft nonconference schedule, but those numbers are more than just simple regression. So can you blame Bruggeman for deciding to take a little more of the offensive load when the other guys are struggling?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    The year AFTER our all-time leading scorer (Greg Garton) graduated, we made it to the national tourney (never made it when he was here).

Evidence article 2: the year we went to the final four we had a guard who turned out to be the all-time career leader in assists (around 800 in 117 games) and steals (nearly 400). At one point he had the D2 records for both categories (Eddin Santiago).

SWMSU has probably been at their best when Bruggeman was the floor general but not necessarily having to carry the team with his scoring.
    We've made it to the NCAA Tournament in two consecutive years with Bruggeman carrying the load. No, maybe not quite to the extent he is now, but we wouldn't have made such a strong late push two years ago if it wasn't for Bruggeman carrying the load in that NSIC Tournament. And those were with veteran teams with arguably more talent than this team has as a whole.

It can be a fine line between getting your top guys the ball to produce and keeping the more role players engaged and productive. I think players and coaches with LeBron james teams would agree with this difficulty at times...

The main point is that Bruggeman probably good enough to beat many teams without supporting guys playing to best of their ability...not as realistic for Southwest, or any team, to beat the top competition largely on back of one or two players (unless it’s cleary against Moorhead :)) The question is whether role guys have sets called for them to give them best chance to contribute, or if they are really just last resort options if shot clock winding down, etc... that can affect the shooting percentages etc of role players.

Could possibly make similar statements about Sioux Falls and St. Cloud that rely heavily on one or two guys. Can you win regionals/national championships that way?

Good discussion...

9. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

The one ref on Friday night seemed to have an issue with the Stangs bench. Does anyone know what that was all about? Every game I've seen in the last few years, the bench has had their chants and cheers and nobody has ever really had a problem with it. Mankato didn't seem to get the same treatment.

10. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

You had a black guy(SCSU grad, so I'm sure it wasn't him :)), a thinner white guy(black hair cut tight) and a less thinner white guy. I'm guessing it was the less thinner white guy.
    Some guys are just over-officious as I like to call it

11. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    You had a black guy(SCSU grad, so I'm sure it wasn't him :)), a thinner white guy(black hair cut tight) and a less thinner white guy. I'm guessing it was the less thinner white guy.
    Some guys are just over-officious as I like to call it
    It was the SCSU guy.

Not sure what the deal was. The crowd sure didn't like him though.

Congrats to Ryan B for passing Jake Fahl.

Great career. Finish strong.

13. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Based on 23 points per game (average so far this year) and 20 games to go (first round NSIC tourney win, second round tourney loss), that would put him at 2,100 points for his career and nearly 500 more than second place on the school's all-time scoring list. Not too shabby!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Based on 23 points per game (average so far this year) and 20 games to go (first round NSIC tourney win, second round tourney loss), that would put him at 2,100 points for his career and nearly 500 more than second place on the school's all-time scoring list. Not too shabby!
    Taking this a step further, here's where he could end the season in the three major categories he already has the career records in, if he continues at his season pace (using your number of 20 games left).....

2. Jacob Fahl 1,638

Assists
    1. Ryan Bruggeman 698
    2. Vinard Birch 396

Steals
    1. Ryan Bruggeman 229
    2. Andre Beasley 157

Another 20 games would also give him (and Taylor Schafer) the new school record for most games played at 127. Last year's seniors Kirk and Moen have the current record of 124.

Next game against Nebraska.

Went to the Nebraska game at The Pentagon.

I think we might have trouble with Nebraska's length , size, and athleticism, but that is just me.

I think we might have trouble with Nebraska's length , size, and athleticism, but that is just me.
    Why on earth is this happening in the middle of the season...let alone when you have to play a conference game at USF the next night?

Ah, pretty sure its not just you. Good luck.

Yep, Nebraska finally has a pretty solid squad. Perhaps not Michigan-caliber but I think they can play with anyone else in the Big10. This sets up to be their year..

Wayne lost to the Huskers by 35 back in early November, so count it a moral victory if you can beat that point spread.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Why on earth is this happening in the middle of the season...let alone when you have to play a conference game at USF the next night?
    I'm gonna guess a nice sized check is involved in the decision. Plus I expect SMSU folks still feel substantial affection for Miles. Nebraska likely wanted a tune-up game after Christmas break to get ready for the resumption of Big Ten play.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    After a 2-week break from games, it might not be a bad idea to get the team back in the habit of playing on consecutive days before they both start counting towards the conference record. The travel between Lincoln and Sioux Falls really isn't that much different than the travel between some NSIC travel partners either, so it's not like it is something the team hasn't dealt with before. And there's actually more times between the games for rest than there is for normal NSIC road trips, since the Nebraska game starts at 1 p.m. and the USF game not until 4 p.m.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast