Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Missed the weekend games, but seeing that we made 19 3s Saturday was encouraging (ended weekend shooting 31-53 from 3-point range). If the preseason poll ends up accurate though, the Friday loss to Emporia could end up hurting us by the end of the year.

Bruggeman finished the weekend with 18.0 ppg and 10.5 apg. I don't know what the rest of the conference did, but I feel like those numbers will be tough to beat this week for potential POW.
    From where I was sitting on Friday (with the USF team apparently), it looked like the Mustangs couldn't get anything to fall. I'm sure Bigler had some words for them after the game.
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.

loss to Emporia was surprise, but the new guys they had were good. they will finish better than predicted in the MIAA.

Good win over Hays on Saturday.

USF looked good.

will be a tough South again.

SMSU will be ok.

Braeden Hanson has been a nice early season surprise.

As a freshman, he scored ZERO points in end of game action, ZERO!

He is going to be a big key to the season and so far looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    Braeden Hanson has been a nice early season surprise.

As a freshman, he scored ZERO points in end of game action, ZERO!

He is going to be a big key to the season and so far looks good.
    I remember Bigs brought his name up before the season as someone who could be a big part of how the team performs this season. I really like some of the lineup combinations we're putting out there, including with Hanson as the defacto 5 when Bartlett and McNease aren't out there.

Must win Saturday at home.

Well not really, but it would be huge to beat the conference favorite to start the season , even if at home.

Going to be a great game!

Must win Saturday at home.

Well not really, but it would be huge to beat the conference favorite to start the season , even if at home.

Going to be a great game!
    I think a win on Saturday would definitely make a nice statement. I wouldn't call it a must-win though, then again, I rarely do. That's more your style.

Interesting that USF has never won in Marshall. Mustangs are 15-0 at home in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I think a win on Saturday would definitely make a nice statement. I wouldn't call it a must-win though, then again, I rarely do. That's more your style.

Interesting that USF has never won in Marshall. Mustangs are 15-0 at home in the series.
    I saw that stat on games in Marshall. Mind boggling as USF has been very good for awhile now.

Crazy we throttled them last year. It was one of those games where eveything went right for us and nothing went right for them. Unlikely to happen this year.

USF was just better . It happens. I suspect they will do that to teams often this year.

In the meantime, must win a couple this coming weekend.

Career leaderboard update.

Scoring
    1. 1638 Jacob Fahl (120 games) - 1999-03
    2. 1600 Mike Tobin (114 games) - 1982-86
    3. 1563 Jordan Miller (115 games) - 2009-13
    4. 1544 Ryan Bruggeman (103 games) - 2015-19
    5. 1512 Andre Beasley (72 games) - 1990-93

Assists
    1. 560 Ryan Bruggeman - 2015-19
    2. 396 Vinard Birch - 2010-14
    3. 342 Andrew Peschong - 2006-10
    4. 321 Jordan Miller - 2009-13
    5. 304 Marques Pena - 1998-01

Steals
    1. 173 Ryan Bruggeman - 2015-19
    2. 157 Andre Beasley - 1990-93
    3. 151 Juan Mitchell - 1983-87
    4. 148 Turner Moen - 2014-18
    5. 135 Mike Walker - 1995-98

Huge game Friday,. No high school stuff going on. Hoping for a big crowd.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Huge game Friday,. No high school stuff going on. Hoping for a big crowd.
    I might make it. That would make it a lot bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I might make it. That would make it a lot bigger.
    LOL

And now a reading from Dave 3:16....

Krauthketball giveth and Krauthketball taketh away

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    And now a reading from Dave 3:16....

Krauthketball giveth and Krauthketball taketh away
    Never a doubt.

This concludes the reading.

Played the 2 best teams in the league to start and have gone 0-2. Needed to split. Having said that, USF and Kato look good and they will beat a lot of teams so no need to panic.

But, can't have 1 player score 40% of your points in a conference game and win many and that has happened in both games 40% in one game 50% in the next. Funny thought reminds you just how good Ryan is. They have thrown the kitchen sink at him defensively and yet he has back to back 30 point games in the NSIC. Not sure the last time a guy did that?

so, it is pretty simple at this point. Michael Lee needs to score double figures and play like a senior.

Dufault and Hanson need to score as well. We need 30 per night from Hanson, Lee and Dufault (an combo to get there) and we'll win a lot of games. How those 3 do the rest of the season is going to determine is we challenge for the conference, a high up, or middle of the pack. Pretty simple.

Steven McNease has been a pleasant surprise. Rebounding machine and has actually played better in the NSIC than non conference. he really battled inside against Kato tonight. Loved the effort.

Wonder if the entire offense didn’t focus on Bruggeman so much if SMSU would be better off? Si Olaf to jimmy butler leaving wolves. Bruggeman tremendous player, but the ball always in his hands. Not sure if they have any other playmakers, but hard to beat the top teams if you have one playmaker and four other guys standing around waiting to play off the one playmaker?? I know I’m oversimplifying this...

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Imagine what that game might have been like if Bruggeman wasn't scoring?

Shout out to my man Ty Dennis, former Mav wideout who is now in grad school at Southwest. He made my day by saying hello after the game!

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Imagine what that game might have been like if Bruggeman wasn't scoring?

Shout out to my man Ty Dennis, former Mav wideout who is now in grad school at Southwest. He made my day by saying hello after the game!
    Not saying Bruggeman shouldn’t score...age old question about 5 players and one basketball...how much better is towns now that butler is gone...The question is whether against the top teams is it too easy for others to let Bruggeman be the guy to the detriment of team...and I think Bruggeman is unquestionably one of best players in conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Not saying Bruggeman shouldn’t score...age old question about 5 players and one basketball...how much better is towns now that butler is gone...The question is whether against the top teams is it too easy for others to let Bruggeman be the guy to the detriment of team...and I think Bruggeman is unquestionably one of best players in conference.
    Butler has been a problem at both of his stops in the NBA though, both chicago and the wolves. And now, Embiid is pissed too. I doubt Bruggeman brings unnecessary drama to the team but I get your analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Butler has been a problem at both of his stops in the NBA though, both chicago and the wolves. And now, Embiid is pissed too. I doubt Bruggeman brings unnecessary drama to the team but I get your analogy.
    Not saying Bruggeman brings any drama at all. He appears to be great teammate. That has nothing to do with my point. My point is simply style of play...when one player on a team dominates so much of the ball on offense.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast