Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who 'turns the corner' first

Default Re: Who 'turns the corner' first

You can always tell the Western KS natives who never moved east of Manhattan because they insist that the state ought to be divided into equal thirds when assigning labels like Eastern, Central and Western Kansas.

The best way to divide KS east-west is into 4 regions: 1) Eastern Kansas - this ends at US-75, 2) Flint Hills - mostly self descriptive, but if you have a credible argument that you're in the Flint Hills, you get to claim it, 3) Central Kansas - west of the Flint Hills to a kind of nebulous ending point that can arguably be as far west as Great Bend, but is probably more aptly Hutch, 4) Western Kansas - everything west of the aforementioned nebulous boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    You can always tell the Western KS natives who never moved east of Manhattan because they insist that the state ought to be divided into equal thirds when assigning labels like Eastern, Central and Western Kansas.

The best way to divide KS east-west is into 4 regions: 1) Eastern Kansas - this ends at US-75, 2) Flint Hills - mostly self descriptive, but if you have a credible argument that you're in the Flint Hills, you get to claim it, 3) Central Kansas - west of the Flint Hills to a kind of nebulous ending point that can arguably be as far west as Great Bend, but is probably more aptly Hutch, 4) Western Kansas - everything west of the aforementioned nebulous boundary.
    I'm not a western ks native, transplant; 2/3 of my life or more manhattan and east and some in Missouri

and yes, i'm playing around, I know what everybody considers western ks. the dividing line (IMO) is the ellsworth exit on I-70, that's where the geological formation changes from the flint/rolling hills into the Kansas plains/platte; which kind of angles down as you said to Great Bend and back over towards Hutch. I just think it's funny because you look on a map and there is a LOT of Kansas left west of Hays. As the original poster said a kid could point to western Kansas and find Hays, and I'd argue, no they couldn't they really wouldn't be that close. You talk to anybody unfamiliar driving across Kansas and they think getting to Hays is some sort of accomplishment and next stop must be Colorado, and nope, you got another 2 1/2 hours yet to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post

Topographically, Western KS begins about 50 miles west of Wichita. Flat, few trees, tumbleweeds, etc... Hays is in the high plains, so they have some rolling hills, but not enough to separate.

If you walk across a pasture and see devil's claws, tumbleweeds, and Horny toads right before kicking up a pheasant. You are in Western KS.

P.S. I loved Western KS. No allergies. No leaf mold. Fewer poisonous snakes. It does suck to play golf or row a boat out there, though.

My favorite region is the flint hills, especially East of El Dorado where you have huge stretches of beautiful scenery..

When we moved to Pittsburg, it was a pretty claustrophobic feeling with all the trees and only being able to see the sky if you craned your neck and looked up.

If you consider painted milkweed or a pheasant feather wall hanging to be fine art, you might be from Western KS.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Fewer poisonous snakes...
    but a lot more scorpions

Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    but a lot more scorpions
    True

9. Default Re: Who 'turns the corner' first

I'm not a western ks native, transplant; 2/3 of my life or more manhattan and east and some in Missouri

and yes, i'm playing around, I know what everybody considers western ks. the dividing line (IMO) is the ellsworth exit on I-70, that's where the geological formation changes from the flint/rolling hills into the Kansas plains/platte; which kind of angles down as you said to Great Bend and back over towards Hutch. I just think it's funny because you look on a map and there is a LOT of Kansas left west of Hays. As the original poster said a kid could point to western Kansas and find Hays, and I'd argue, no they couldn't they really wouldn't be that close. You talk to anybody unfamiliar driving across Kansas and they think getting to Hays is some sort of accomplishment and next stop must be Colorado, and nope, you got another 2 1/2 hours yet to go.
    Once you get to Hays, the next stop is Goodland, because CO gas prices are absurd.

Blog Entries

Topographically, Western KS begins about 50 miles west of Wichita. Flat, few trees, tumbleweeds, etc... Hays is in the high plains, so they have some rolling hills, but not enough to separate.

If you walk across a pasture and see devil's claws, tumbleweeds, and Horny toads right before kicking up a pheasant. You are in Western KS.
    I’m going to Colorado on Friday for vacation, and we always take US36 across the state. I know we are in western Kansas when we see the tumbleweeds, which is usually somewhere between Oberlin and Atwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    I’m going to Colorado on Friday for vacation, and we always take US36 across the state. I know we are in western Kansas when we see the tumbleweeds, which is usually somewhere between Oberlin and Atwood.
    Weekly preview first, yes

Blog Entries

Weekly preview first, yes
    Yes. Should be done tomorrow evening. However, I won’t be able to get one done for the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by UCObluejay View Post
    I don't want this to come out mean but...
    NEO is a JuCo in Miami (Miama) http://www.neo.edu/
    NSU is the MIAA team.
    It's more of a Miam uh as opposed Miam a, but that is nitpicking. Just DON'T pronounce it Miam ee LOL
    My late Great Uncle was the long time Dean of Students at NEO A & M. I sure do miss him!
    Go Golden Norse!

myyyyyy am eeee is in florida
    myamuh is a much shorter word and is a town in Oklahoma.

myyyyyy am eeee is in florida
    myamuh is a much shorter word and is a town in Oklahoma.
    myamuh is also in Missouri - little town north of Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by iconions View Post
    It's more of a Miam uh as opposed Miam a, but that is nitpicking. Just DON'T pronounce it Miam ee LOL
    My late Great Uncle was the long time Dean of Students at NEO A & M. I sure do miss him!
    Go Golden Norse!
    Kind of like Arkansas City/River isn't Arken saw
    it's R-Kansas

Kind of like Arkansas City/River isn't Arken saw
    it's R-Kansas
    Don't forget the little are kansas

western Kansas is classic Big Sky country. there is a good reason why the folks who live "out there" are kind, courteous, honest, soft-spoken, and endowed with great humility. anyone who has stood alone on the plains when a monstrous thunderhead is building and rolling their way knows of what I speak. one feels very, very small in Big Sky country in the face of awesome, overwhelming nature. it keeps a person honest and humble.

and as far as western Kansas being flat......true, if you travel only I-70 western Kansas is pretty flat and monotonous. highway engineers want it that way. flat land is ideal for them. it is the easiest and cheapest to build on. but if one ventures off the four-lane....

I can take a person in any direction from I-70 and in half an hour or less I can show them some of the wildest, most rugged and beautiful country they have ever seen in their lives. incredible rock formations, towering bluffs, impossible canyons. and no people. just antelope, jack rabbits, elk, coyotes, cougars, road runners, horney toads, prairie rattlers, prickly pears, spanish bayonets, buffalo grass, and silence like they have never "heard" before. this wild land is today like it has always been. I have never known such peace of mind as when I am alone in western kansas. even tho I was born and raised in eastern kansas and western missouri, my heart will always be in western kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbadbod View Post
    and as far as western Kansas being flat
    scientifically proven; Kansas is flatter than a pancake

scientifically proven; Kansas is flatter than a pancake
    And the earth is smoother than a bowling ball

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast