Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSAC Women's Basketball (18-19)

Default PSAC Women's Basketball (18-19)

This should be another good year.

Any attempts to pick the West? Edinboro, Cal and IUP are pretty deep. Seton Hill will make some noise this year. It's going to be a battle.

Default Re: PSAC Women's Basketball (18-19)

The East will be interesting, though almost definitely not as strong as the West. WCU is losing a lot, but will still be in the mix. ESU is dealing with the graduation of Imani Brown, though they keep everyone else. I think this will be a learning year, and next year is the year for true contention. Bloomsburg and Kutztown are interesting options that return all their key pieces, and Shippensburg should at least return to the playoffs on the back of Ariel Jones. Bloom is my sleeper pick to take the division after coming on strong late last year.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    This should be another good year.

Any attempts to pick the West? Edinboro, Cal and IUP are pretty deep. Seton Hill will make some noise this year. It's going to be a battle.
    I agree with you. Edinboro has a new coach, right? Of course they were always tough under Stan Swank. Iup and Cal should be fighting for a top spot. Seton Hill gives Cal fits - especially deadly in their gym. They are well-coached.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    I agree with you. Edinboro has a new coach, right? Of course they were always tough under Stan Swank. Iup and Cal should be fighting for a top spot. Seton Hill gives Cal fits - especially deadly in their gym. They are well-coached.
    Have absolutely no basis to support this but I have a feeling that VULCAN WBB could be special this year. A lot of experience, especially with SEAIRRA BARRETT back, and seven freshman of whom at least one, SHAUNA HARRISON, has the experience at a high level to start this year. Settling on a point guard between ABBEY SPORIO and BIANCA JASPER will be the other big decision, probably favors AS as a senior. 25 days until exhibition versus @GoBearcatsWBB in Cincy.

I'm not overly sure what to expect out of IUP this year.

They have a lot back -- but also a lot of new faces and many more stepping in to larger roles.

The core returning is Carolyn Appleby, Lauren Wolosik, Maura D'Anna and Brittany Robinson -- three starters and D'Anna played heavy minutes a year ago.

The 'next up' group includes Madison Kerr and Courtney Alexander -- both redshirt sophomore guards. Alexander is my pick as IUP's next breakout player. Lexi Griggs (Jr.) and Kendall Hunter (Sr.) will also step in to larger roles.

G/F Natalie Myers, the Youngstown State import, will also factor in the rotation. Senior Ana Hollen will back up Appleby at PG.

On paper, Tom landed a tremendous, highly-decorated freshmen class. I'd assume three of them redshirt but possibly all four.

Tom now has this built where he's more in 'reload' than 'rebuild' mode.

Division II Bulletin Preseason Top 25

4. IUP
    13. Edinboro

PSAC Preseason Coaches Poll

PSAC East
    1 Kutztown (5)
    2 ESU (2)
    3 West Chester
    4 Bloomsburg (1)
    5 Millersville
    6 Shippensburg
    7 Lock Haven
    8 Mansfield

PSAC West
    1 Edinboro (5)
    2 IUP (4)
    3 California
    4 Slippery Rock
    5 Gannon
    6 Seton Hill
    7 Mercyhurst
    8 Pitt-Johnstown
    9 Clarion

Quote Originally Posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    PSAC Preseason Coaches Poll

PSAC East
    1 Kutztown (5)
    2 ESU (2)
    3 West Chester
    4 Bloomsburg (1)
    5 Millersville
    6 Shippensburg
    7 Lock Haven
    8 Mansfield

PSAC West
    1 Edinboro (5)
    2 IUP (4)
    3 California
    4 Slippery Rock
    5 Gannon
    6 Seton Hill
    7 Mercyhurst
    8 Pitt-Johnstown
    9 Clarion

Thanks for posting. I can't comment on the East but the West Big 3 is going to be a war this year. Seton Hill, my opinion, is picked way too low. I'd have put the Griffins fourth. UPJ could be the big sleeper of the 9 West teams.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Thanks for posting. I can't comment on the East but the West Big 3 is going to be a war this year. Seton Hill, my opinion, is picked way too low. I'd have put the Griffins fourth. UPJ could be the big sleeper of the 9 West teams.
    The East goes through these cycles of senior laden teams. Last year it was West Chester, two years ago it was Shippensburg. Bloomsburg has everyone back, so they might be the sleeper there.

Rock has everyone returning. Why so high on Seton Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    The East goes through these cycles of senior laden teams. Last year it was West Chester, two years ago it was Shippensburg. Bloomsburg has everyone back, so they might be the sleeper there.

Rock has everyone returning. Why so high on Seton Hill?

Seton Hill has perhaps the league's best young player in sophomore Cheyenne Trest (PSAC Freshman of the Year last season). They added some nice size and Mark Katarski is a really good coach. Trest was a huge land for them. I know several more high-profile programs in the PSAC went after her coming out of high school.

Rock has everybody back but that's not like saying a Cal has everybody back. Talent-wise they were a step behind last season. SRU played very undisciplined last year. Maybe that will have changed with a year in the system.

Half

Ohio State 31
    IUP 26

Final was 72-50.

IUP played well minus the third quarter.

Appleby had a huge game.

Awesome!!!

The new player, Myers (YSU tansfer), started and went for 11 and 7.

4 WEST division teams taking on D1 opponents in WBB. IUP played a nice game @ OHIO STATE, winning the second qtr, before falling 50-72 to the BUCKEYES. GANNON at PITT tonight. CLARION at MARYLAND on Friday evening. VULCANS at CINCINNATI on Saturday evening. I always feel if a team can keep the final score within 30 pts, as the C'HAWKS did, these games can be a fun learning experience for D2 players. Sort of surprised that BORO chose a CIAA based tournament to start the season but COACH WHEELER has her own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    4 WEST division teams taking on D1 opponents in WBB. IUP played a nice game @ OHIO STATE, winning the second qtr, before falling 50-72 to the BUCKEYES. GANNON at PITT tonight. CLARION at MARYLAND on Friday evening. VULCANS at CINCINNATI on Saturday evening. I always feel if a team can keep the final score within 30 pts, as the C'HAWKS did, these games can be a fun learning experience for D2 players. Sort of surprised that BORO chose a CIAA based tournament to start the season but COACH WHEELER has her own agenda.

Wheeler hit the jackpot when she convinced her two stars to stick around another year. Edinboro is going to be a major problem this year -- likely the Region favorites in my opinion.

Probably since 3 of the Atlantic Region Poll top 10 teams are CIAA. Learn to beat them now and it will pay dividends in March.

2SIDA Atlantic Region Poll
    Place Team Points 2017-18 Records
    1 Edinboro (1) 53 27-4
    2 Virginia Union (1) 51 28-3
    3 Indiana (Pa.) (3) 47 30-4
    4 Glenville State (1) 41 31-2
    5 California (Pa.) 31 24-7
    6 Notre Dame (Ohio) 25 23-9
    7 Johnson C. Smith 22 18-10
    8 East Stroudsburg 15 16-11
    9 Kutztown 12 18-12
    10 Virginia State 11 23-6

IUP ladies all over Alderson Broaddus ... 26-6 at end of first quarter.

Final

IUP 95
    AB 50

IUP more than 50 rebounds

Virginia Union (women) smacked Edinboro yesterday by 21 points. That's scary.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast