Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSIC Pick'Em Week #7 - Chat

Contribute to D2

Default NSIC Pick'Em Week #7 - Chat

Most of the picks this week were pretty easy. I'm guessing that a lot of people will have the same number of correct guesses.

Winona State @ Minnesota Crookston - Last Saturday Winona finally got the dominating win that had been eluding them so far this season. This week they get their second. Sorry Crookston, I often root for the underdog so I'll be pulling for you, but I don't think you're going to win this one.

St. Cloud State @ Sioux Falls - Neither USF or St. Cloud has had as good of a season as their fans would have hoped. USF has had two losses already by a combined total of four points, both in games they should have won but didn't due to their own mistakes. St. Cloud has the same 4-2 record as the Cougars, however their schedule has been softer and their losses been more lopsided. I think the Coo is going to vent some frustration with a "get right" game at home, so I'm picking them. Plus I'm a fan, so I tend to pick them anyway. lol

MSU Moorhead @ Wayne State - Moorhead's two losses have come against the top two teams in the conference. Wayne's only win has come against SMSU back in week two. I think the Dragons are going to take this one.

Minot State @ Minnesota State Mankato - Again, because I like to root for the underdog I'm going to be pulling for the Red Beavers. Unfortunately they're just too young of a team right now so I don't think this game will be very close.

Augustana @ Northern State - Northern surprised me a little last weekend by playing hard against Concordia on the road and coming out with a victory. Augie had a tough game at home against the Bulldogs, and put up a reasonable fight against a top-tier team. This may be the toughest pick of the week. I could see the Wolves pulling the upset at home, but not enough to pick them to win. I think the Vikings come home the victor.

Southwest Minnesota State @ Minnesota Duluth - Unfortunately for the Mustangs, I think this is a poor matchup for them. I don't see SMSU's defense stopping Duluth's offense, and I don't see SMSU's offense putting up a ton of points against Duluth, which they will have to do to pull off the upset.

Concordia - St. Paul @ U-Mary - Concordia is much improved from last year, but sits with a surprisingly low 2-4 record. I think this comes in part from having such a tough schedule so far this season, already facing Mankato, Duluth and USF (which they nearly won.) Mary hasn't seen much in the way of success yet this year, being in full-on rebuilding mode. This should be a good matchup for Concordia.

Bemidji State @ Upper Iowa - The Green Beavers have had a pretty good year so far, with their only loss to undefeated Duluth. They played USF tough last Saturday, coming back from a 21-3 deficit to win 24-21. Upper Iowa has been more of a question mark, where they haven't yet found much week to week consistency. I think Bemidji will have a comfortable win by at least two scores.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #7 - Chat

Is Augie at Northern the game of the week? I would think so but I'll listen to other points of view.

Easiest week of picking games! If there was a game of the week it would be AU at Northern but picking auggie simply because they’re more experienced...

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Is Augie at Northern the game of the week? I would think so but I'll listen to other points of view.
    I think it's the best matchup we get this week, but even then I think Augie would be the favorite to win.

If I look at my picks, in every case if the opposite team won I would consider it an "upset." Most everything looks to be pretty one sided.

5. Default Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #7 - Chat

With this being such a lopsided weeks as far as picks are concerned, who has the best chance to pull off an upset?

I think Wayne St or Mary.

BSU is in a "trap" game. Sioux Falls and homecoming last week, at Upper Iowa this week, Mankato in Bemidji next week.

I kind of felt that way with Wayne State as well as BSU went at Duluth, at Wayne State, homecoming with Sioux Falls.
    Millsy

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    With this being such a lopsided weeks as far as picks are concerned, who has the best chance to pull off an upset?

I initially picked Wayne, but ended up switching.

And part of me was about to go full homer on this question.

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Degrees View Post

WSC plays tough at home. If the Dragons dont get off the bus like in Duluth, this could end up being an "upset". Hoping the Dragons get off to a hot start and roll from there!

10,000 Lakes State Opposite Corner Week—Southwest Minnesota @ Minnesota Duluth and Winona State @ Minnesota Crookston
    In a fluke of scheduling, the opposite corners of Minnesota play one another on the same weekend. Draw lines through the state to mark this and boom, “X” lands on Lake Wobegon. You betcha, yeah.

Longitude Week
    Go South Young Men—St. Cloud State @ Sioux Falls, MSU Moorhead @ Wayne State, Bemidji State @ Upper Iowa
    Go North Young Men—Augustana @ Northern State, Concordia - St. Paul @ U-Mary
    With crossovers from North and South in October, vertical travel conference games get crazy. We might see snow bowls or Indian summer heatwaves. Definitely get to write that chestnut of a junior high headline, “Beavers and ‘C***s Collide in Fayette” though Matt W will nuance the heck out of that to some snoozefest about special team trends, Upper Iowa offensive struggles, and third down conversion data.

Don’t Look Ahead To Next Weekend Game of the Week—Minot State @ Minnesota State Mankato
    Mavs have a lot to play for in coming weeks. Red Beavers have pride and come in ticked. “Bad Vibe Game” rather than “Trap Game”, but just sayin’ MSU, don’t get sloppy, fellas. This is the kind of game where people get hurt, and I don’t mean Laker. Well, I can mean Laker, he’s not young and there will be frost warnings this weekend for the first time this fall, those steep stairs can get icy. (Man, this write-up took a sharp turn...)

The wolves last beat Augie in 2003, before that was 1952...we are something like 5-37-1 all-time. We have had our chances, most recently two years ago in Sioux Falls. I have a strong feeling the Wolves could take this one Saturday. We have been playing well (not like top of the NSIC level, but just well) the last three weeks. Handed the game back to St. Cloud due to some conservative play calling and had Winona beat until giving up that late drive with under two minutes to go. Concordia has had a good season so to win on the road there was a very good win. It will take a great effort, no turnovers, continuing to be the best disciplined team in the NSIC (penalty-wise) and a big defensive play. Augie is better at getting after the QB and while their QB can pit up big numbers he isn't all that efficient at a 50%completion rate. Can the Wolves stop the run? Can they not get burned on huge plays? I dont know. Despite being 2-4 we could easily be 4-2 and the view of NSU might be a little different. We are certainly the underdog and history isn't on our side but Augie isn't the juggernaut they had been for quite a while. I am calling for a Wolves win...but if things go South early it could just be another ugly loss to those darn Vikes.

The road to 6-5 isn't an easy one, but this win alone would make the season a redemptive success

Bemidji (-16.5) at Upper Iowa - After a big win last week and a dip in the lake, I could see Bemidji coming out flat in this one. The NSIC adjusted a win from Upper Iowa because even the league still can't believe they upset Winona. Can they add a Beaver pelt to the trophy case this year? I don't think so, but it could be close. BSU 27-24

Southwest at Duluth (-28.5) - Southwest has gotten the offense going against some of the lower tier teams in the conference. Duluth is not one of those teams. UMD 45-17

Moorhead (-2.5) at Wayne - I keep getting burned picking against Moorhead. Maybe I'm too stubborn, maybe I'm just terrible picking games. I like Wayne at home. WSC 21-20

Concordia (-26.5) at Mary - I'm not sure what to make of this Concordia team. I do know what to make of Mary. CSP 31-6

St Cloud at Sioux Falls (-20.5) - Will the Coo be hungover after the loss last week, or will they be looking to send a message that they still belong in the playoff conversation. I think they win big. USF 38-10

Minot at Mankato (-45.5) - Ugly. Quickly. MSU 52-9

Winona (-38.5) at Crookston - Ditto. WSU 48-7

Augie (-4.5) at Northern - NSU had a good win last week. Taking out Augie would be a great win for this team, this year. Larson is becoming a legit star in the conference already. Hopefully Maxwell will be back to add something (anything? please?) to the running game. The defense will have to play well and I expect to see another blocked kick or 2. I think it can happen. NSU 33-30

Blog Entries

http://www.d2messageboard.com/entry.php?b=2281

Only one upset being picked by our crew..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Really a great write-up by Matt W, the man does his homework and watches games throughout the week. That 14 year old looking kid from Bemidji pictured to the left of hirsute (hairy) Matt Zimmer is leading all journalist with a 41-7 record, he might be ready to shave after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Another solid assessment! Love reading these every week!

PS: the Dragons beat NSU by 14 after 2 late TD's ;)

Game day! Woohoo!

Good luck to all the teams today not named St. Cloud.

Hope every team comes through injury free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
    Game day! Woohoo!

Good luck to all the teams today not named St. Cloud.

Hope every team comes through injury free.
    Nothing better than Saturday's in the fall!!! Watched some 8th grade football this morning and made it back home just in time for kickoff!

Wayne feed went out...

BSU with a house call to open the game against Upper Iowa

Congrats Huskies on a tough road win at Sioux Falls; Moorhead too.

Beavers got 10 quick points the first half of the 3rd quarter to take a 24-6 lead at UIU.
    Last edited by CoachSalscheider; 10-13-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update

Upper Iowa just blocks a BSU punt for a TD BSU 24-13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast