Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Contribute to D2

Default Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Alright everyone, let's hear what you all think about what's going to happen in the game this weekend.

Ready, set, go.

Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Should be interesting.
    i think it comes down to how GVSU moves the ball, I think ferris gets their 28 so it comes down to the GV Offense

well, I am not sure at all - it can be close or one team can blow the other out, that's why I'm coming up to watch in person - Go Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Bos715 View Post
    i think it comes down to how GVSU moves the ball, I think ferris gets their 28 so it comes down to the GV Offense
    If we hold Ferris to only 28 then it will be our best defensive performance of the year. Last year was only 28 because Reggie Bell was playing on one leg, and Jayru is much better than Bell is. My worry would be that if we assign a spy to Jayru, I don't know who it would be. He's a big dude and fast. We don't really have a guy who is the same size and just as fast who can spy him. I think Johnathon Williams is going to be a big factor in the game. Against Dixie, there were 2 or 3 plays where he nearly took the handoff from the QB, and a couple times on read options where he was standing right in front of both the QB and RB when the QB was looking what to do with the ball. If Williams can get that kind of penetration again (unlikely, since Ferris OL is going to be much better), that would be good.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 10-08-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos715 View Post
    If it comes down to the offense putting up more than 28, we're screwed. The offense has been sloppy much of the season and Williams is barely above a 50% passer halfway through the season.

The defense needs to be shut-down good and the offense needs to do just enough to score a little more. I don't foresee that happening though.

GV's defense looks a lot faster than last years. Not sure if that is due to the competition or D is more athletic. Interested to see if they use a spy on Jayru since he takes off out the pocket so much.

Agree with other posters on GV offense. If they can control the ball, minimize the deep balls and keep Ferris' O on the sidelines then it's a toss up. I think GV can run on Ferris if they commit to it.

If Bart has a bad day or receivers are dropping balls giving Ferris more opportunities, then I think Ferris will pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    GV's defense looks a lot faster than last years. Not sure if that is due to the competition or D is more athletic. Interested to see if they use a spy on Jayru since he takes off out the pocket so much.

Agree with other posters on GV offense. If they can control the ball, minimize the deep balls and keep Ferris' O on the sidelines then it's a toss up. I think GV can run on Ferris if they commit to it.

If Bart has a bad day or receivers are dropping balls giving Ferris more opportunities, then I think Ferris will pull it out.
    Pull it out? Makes it sound like Ferris is the underdog. If this game were on a Vegas board, I have to think Ferris would be favored.

Pull it out? Makes it sound like Ferris is the underdog. If this game were on a Vegas board, I have to think Ferris would be favored.
    I'd say this is a Pick em'. GV's nonconference was way tougher than Ferris'. I think they will be a little more battle tested (although Ashland scared the $#! out of us). Not sure what injuries are looking like for either team, but I think both seem to be healthy.

This will probably come down to a couple of coaching decisions and special teams. Maybe home field gives GV a slight edge...but I'm counting on the Dogs to find a way.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    I'd say this is a Pick em'. GV's nonconference was way tougher than Ferris'. I think they will be a little more battle tested (although Ashland scared the $#! out of us). Not sure what injuries are looking like for either team, but I think both seem to be healthy.

This will probably come down to a couple of coaching decisions and special teams. Maybe home field gives GV a slight edge...but I'm counting on the Dogs to find a way.
    Who knows. A ton of unkowns IMO. Jayru looks to be the real thing. But, XSU has been known to shoot themselves in the foot more than some would like. GV's O has had guys in and out for a variety of reasons. They should be pretty full for Saturday.. barring a player....or two? I'd give Xerris more of the edge, but Ashland played them tight (yes, a lot of things went against Xerris.) Alternately, I'm still thinking that Xerris's D is pretty vulnerable. And comments about Bart being off this year. Uh, sure, Ok, if TA and company go with that thought, it'll be a solid GV win (I doubt they will take GV lightly.)

I'm hedging both ways, but I think GV has mostly one thing to neutralize (a big one at that) and Xerris has multiple. So going with those Lakers. Dang I wish I will be there

BTW Massey has GV a 1 point Fav... GV a 7 point underdog if up there and I think a 3 point dog at a neutral site. To me, those numbers don't make sense, but I suspect that's how the algorithm goes.
    Last edited by Redwing; 10-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Who knows. A ton of unkowns IMO. Jayru looks to be the real thing. But, XSU has been known to shoot themselves in the foot more than some would like. GV's O has had guys in and out for a variety of reasons. They should be pretty full for Saturday.. barring a player....or two? I'd give Xerris more of the edge, but Ashland played them tight (yes, a lot of things went against Xerris.) Alternately, I'm still thinking that Xerris's D is pretty vulnerable. And comments about Bart being off this year. Uh, sure, Ok, if TA and company go with that thought, it'll be a solid GV win (I doubt they will take GV lightly.)

I'm hedging both ways, but I think GV has mostly one thing to neutralize (a big one at that) and Xerris has multiple. So going with those Lakers. Dang I wish I will be there

BTW Massey has GV a 1 point Fav... GV a 7 point underdog if up there and I think a 3 point dog at a neutral site. To me, those numbers don't make sense, but I suspect that's how the algorithm goes.
    Massey has GVSU as a 3.5-point favorite in the game this weekend, O/U 56.5. They have it GVSU 30, Ferris 27, GV with 61% chance of winning: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/nca...es?dt=20181009

12. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

I think Kle is right- GV's D-line absolutely HAS to get continuous penetration to disrupt the RPO and short passing game of Ferris, otherwise it will be very difficult to contain the Bulldogs offense. Bart and co. have really looked much better as of late and you know both teams will be UP for this game. Anything can happen in a game like this, but I'm giving the edge to Ferris. TA has had the Lakers' number since he arrived and always seems to outsmart our game plan. I can wait for the game, I'm just hoping for good weather. Friday and Sunday both show rain so it could be wet again..

I agree the Laker D has to contain their QB, I believe that is a major key to success. However I disagree about the Laker offensive being had by TA. Maybe previous years, but I have much more faith in Ginn and his game plan. Morrison was a very predictable OC and not very good. Now that he's been replaced and they are playing at Lubbers might be the advantage Saturday.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Massey has GVSU as a 3.5-point favorite in the game this weekend, O/U 56.5. They have it GVSU 30, Ferris 27, GV with 61% chance of winning: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/nca...es?dt=20181009
    Strange.. This is where I got the numbers I posted from:
    https://www.masseyratings.com/game.p...1=Ferris+State

Maybe I have an old link since I think I see 2016 on the page. Thanks for the link... now I can also go to the correct page!

I wonder why they keep old ones active?

As for a spy for JC... I'm thinking GV's 2 - Mr Horton might be assigned that function? I would suspect Johnathon (95) will be licking his chops to get a few hits in though. But TA is no dummy, so I wonder what he'll dial up to counteract that. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by Redwing; 10-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Strange.. This is where I got the numbers I posted from:

Maybe I have an old link since I think I see 2016 on the page. Thanks for the link... now I can also go to the correct page!

I wonder why they keep old ones active?

As for a spy for JC... I'm thinking GV's 2 - Mr Horton might be assigned that function? I would suspect Johnathon (95) will be licking his chops to get a few hits in though. But TA is no dummy, so I wonder what he'll dial up to counteract that. Should be interesting.
    I don't know. Both teams have done the exact same things in every game for the last five years against each other, basically. You know exactly what Ferris is going to do offensively, and you know exactly what GV is going to do offensively. Ferris is going to do a lot of jet sweep options and bubble screens off of them and go side-to-side a lot with their passing game. GV is going to throw fades and hope the WR's can out-play the DB's. Same thing every year, just a matter of who makes less mistakes.

16. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

So far, can't think of a better looking D for GV since the NC years.... maybe 2009? They seem strong through 2 1/2 quarters, but haven't faced anything like Ferris's offense. The offense has come along now that Paritee is a consistent deep threat and Dodson at full strength. Provenchar brings that smolen/brezik kind of threat - not quite the speed but more physical. Moss and Oline will need solid showing. Ferris always seems to have the edge in coaching, but maybe Mitchell is finally getting 'edgy' enough to change that perception, we shall see. Funny thing is neither Ferris O or GV D have had to play more than 1 complete game. Another 28-24 type score, winner determined by a big play on special teams or a turnover (like most other years, lol)

17. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Couple Observations:
    1. Can we please stop referring to Provenchar as "Blake Smolen" - I mean we are talking one of the all time great Lakers, a dude who was a legit 4.4 and a dude who played everywhere but OL and QB on offense. Jack is a great player and I hope he has a great career, but let's hold off on comparing him to one of the GOATs of Laker football.
    2. TA has never had the Laker Offense because TA doesn't have a single thing to do with Ferris's Defensive Game Plan.
    3. This is the fastest Defense that Ferris has ever had, not the best, but the fastest. However they are a little worse against the run than they typically have been, which has almost been the best in the league that last 6 seasons. They are athletic at DB but a lot of guys playing in their first meaningful Anchor Bone game so it could be interesting.
    4. Lets be real, as fun as this game is going to be, and as fun as it is hyping this up, this is the conference championship game and that is it (Easy Davenport, y'all are good but you haven't played ANYBODY | Michigan Tech is the best D2 team you played). Neither of these teams have trouble beating the other on the road, home/away just isn't something that matters in this game. This is the first of two times these teams will play and if it goes anything like the 2015/2016 years then I am willing to bet both teams would rather lose the first game of this 2 game series this season.

This is going to be a great game, it is great for the schools, it is great for the league, and it is great for D2 and I wish College Gameday would actually show up.

A bit early on the west coast, but I may just get up to check this out.

Sincerely,
    Ferris Sucks

https://www.mlive.com/lakers/index.s...g_to_lubb.html

Round 1 of a 2 round fight this year. Winner wins GLIAC and gets higher playoff seed in region. I truly believe these teams will meet again in 6-7weeks. Winner of this game gets to host round 2.

20. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Quote Originally Posted by GLIACWatcher View Post
    Couple Observations:
    1. Can we please stop referring to Provenchar as "Blake Smolen" - I mean we are talking one of the all time great Lakers, a dude who was a legit 4.4 and a dude who played everywhere but OL and QB on offense. Jack is a great player and I hope he has a great career, but let's hold off on comparing him to one of the GOATs of Laker football.
    2. TA has never had the Laker Offense because TA doesn't have a single thing to do with Ferris's Defensive Game Plan.
    3. This is the fastest Defense that Ferris has ever had, not the best, but the fastest. However they are a little worse against the run than they typically have been, which has almost been the best in the league that last 6 seasons. They are athletic at DB but a lot of guys playing in their first meaningful Anchor Bone game so it could be interesting.
    4. Lets be real, as fun as this game is going to be, and as fun as it is hyping this up, this is the conference championship game and that is it (Easy Davenport, y'all are good but you haven't played ANYBODY | Michigan Tech is the best D2 team you played). Neither of these teams have trouble beating the other on the road, home/away just isn't something that matters in this game. This is the first of two times these teams will play and if it goes anything like the 2015/2016 years then I am willing to bet both teams would rather lose the first game of this 2 game series this season.

This is going to be a great game, it is great for the schools, it is great for the league, and it is great for D2 and I wish College Gameday would actually show up.
    I love it! 2 of the best teams in the nation playing each other, and DU just happens to get put in the post.... I read the blogs, and forums -- I don't think anyone from DU or any other team's fans have said DU can compete against the big 3, but the fact that people are talking about them in their 2nd year -- then they must be doing something right......

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast