Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Quote Originally Posted by DUpanthers View Post
    I love it! 2 of the best teams in the nation playing each other, and DU just happens to get put in the post.... I read the blogs, and forums -- I don't think anyone from DU or any other team's fans have said DU can compete against the big 3, but the fact that people are talking about them in their 2nd year -- then they must be doing something right......
    DU, I know you're new to the GLIAC so we'll give you a pass on this one Save the DU love for another thread. This is strictly Ferris / GV. No other team matters, no other game matters in all of D2 this week. As much as I can't stand GV, don't want another team dipping their chip in this salsa.

I agree with Looter, winner gets home field in playoffs and they probably meet again in the 2nd round. If Ferris loses their seeding would probably be affected more due to their SOS being so crappy (East Stroudsburg 1-5, Findlay 3-3, William Jewel 1-4).

Agree Ferris's D isn't as strong this year, but they lost 3 studs to NFL rosters so can't really fault them for that. Will be interested to see on offense how much pwr read TA runs with Jayru. Seems to like the quarterback draw a little more but I'm assuming GV will have an athletic guy spying. Maybe the middle will be opened a little more for passing.

Either way, whoever handles adversity the best will probably win this one.

Fox News reported today that if MM fails to beat Ferris again and advance significantly in the playoffs he is out as GV HC and Becker will do whatever it takes to get TA to GV. All evidence HAS been corroborated and it has been confirmed that there was not any ice thrown.

I think in regard to the Laker d, the biggest difference between this year and the past few years is their discipline. Over the last few years you could count on the defense over pursuing and opening up gaps. This is the real reason I think the Lakers have a solid chance against Ferris this year. Running quarterbacks have a hard time running when all the gaps are covered. So, if Grand Valley continues playing the disciplined defense they have been, and force Ferris to put it in the air, then I think Grand Valley could win this one by 10 to 13 points.

On a different note, one of the last posters mentioned that the teams tend to do the same thing over and over, which has been true, but I think you will see some differences this year from GV. When they incoporated that shovel pass a couple of weeks ago and even had Bart do a sneak and bootleg, I think they were working on some things to add some wrinkles to their playbook. Both moss and provencher can catch out of the backfield better than the running backs over the last few years. That adds a lot of versatility to an offense!

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Laker View Post
    I think in regard to the Laker d, the biggest difference between this year and the past few years is their discipline. Over the last few years you could count on the defense over pursuing and opening up gaps. This is the real reason I think the Lakers have a solid chance against Ferris this year. Running quarterbacks have a hard time running when all the gaps are covered. So, if Grand Valley continues playing the disciplined defense they have been, and force Ferris to put it in the air, then I think Grand Valley could win this one by 10 to 13 points.

On a different note, one of the last posters mentioned that the teams tend to do the same thing over and over, which has been true, but I think you will see some differences this year from GV. When they incoporated that shovel pass a couple of weeks ago and even had Bart do a sneak and bootleg, I think they were working on some things to add some wrinkles to their playbook. Both moss and provencher can catch out of the backfield better than the running backs over the last few years. That adds a lot of versatility to an offense!
    Uh, and no one has yet mentioned a new OC/playcaller.

5. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    DU, I know you're new to the GLIAC so we'll give you a pass on this one Save the DU love for another thread. This is strictly Ferris / GV. No other team matters, no other game matters in all of D2 this week. As much as I can't stand GV, don't want another team dipping their chip in this salsa.

I agree with Looter, winner gets home field in playoffs and they probably meet again in the 2nd round. If Ferris loses their seeding would probably be affected more due to their SOS being so crappy (East Stroudsburg 1-5, Findlay 3-3, William Jewel 1-4).

Agree Ferris's D isn't as strong this year, but they lost 3 studs to NFL rosters so can't really fault them for that. Will be interested to see on offense how much pwr read TA runs with Jayru. Seems to like the quarterback draw a little more but I'm assuming GV will have an athletic guy spying. Maybe the middle will be opened a little more for passing.

Either way, whoever handles adversity the best will probably win this one.
    I was just as surprised as you were to see DU come up on a FSU/GVSU forum.. so just thought it wasn’t funny.

After this week, you may wish you had Sparky back!

Ferris by 14.

Quote Originally Posted by DUpanthers View Post
    After this week, you may wish you had Sparky back!
    Sure....now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Uh, and no one has yet mentioned a new OC/playcaller.
    please read all posts before commenting, it avoids embarrassment.

Previously posted:

I agree the Laker D has to contain their QB, I believe that is a major key to success. However I disagree about the Laker offensive being had by TA. Maybe previous years, but I have much more faith in Ginn and his game plan. Morrison was a very predictable OC and not very good. Now that he's been replaced and they are playing at Lubbers might be the advantage Saturday.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by oddzon View Post
    please read all posts before commenting, it avoids embarrassment.

Previously posted:

I agree the Laker D has to contain their QB, I believe that is a major key to success. However I disagree about the Laker offensive being had by TA. Maybe previous years, but I have much more faith in Ginn and his game plan. Morrison was a very predictable OC and not very good. Now that he's been replaced and they are playing at Lubbers might be the advantage Saturday.
    I missed it.. I'm getting sloppy in my "old" age. Guess I deserved that. Thanks for pointing out my mistake... won't be my last though. Alternately, maybe I just (didn't) consider the source?????
    Last edited by Redwing; 10-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Easily the biggest game in D2 this year. I hope it’s going to be online for viewing

11. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Quote Originally Posted by MDRussell View Post
    Easily the biggest game in D2 this year. I hope it’s going to be online for viewing
    Last time Wayne State played at Grand Valley, I was able to go on the Grand Valley web site and watch the game for free. I assume you can do the same for this game, it's worth a try anyway.

12. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

It’s on ESPN3. All GV home games are on ESPN3.

13. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Game will be decided on GV special teams play. If special teams coach has done his job this year and Lakers do not have a special teams let down at end of half and game GV wins this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    I missed it.. I'm getting sloppy in my "old" age. Guess I deserved that. Thanks for pointing out my mistake... won't be my last though. Alternately, maybe I just (didn't) consider the source?????
    LOL, maybe it's my old age but your last comment makes perfect sense to me.

one thing won't win this game. if GV tries to stop the run Jayru will still easily pass to Barnett or Craig, maybe even earls easy. I find it interesting that Ferris is redshirting their best offensive player in Taylor

They're redshirting him?

Quote Originally Posted by The Looter View Post
    They're redshirting him?
    it is the only thing that makes sense he played the 3rd game of the season and we haven’t seen him i don’t think he way 100% healthy then but after the career he had you have to let him play a full season for his final season

18. Default Re: Ferris State @ Grand Valley State

Quote Originally Posted by Bos715 View Post
    it is the only thing that makes sense he played the 3rd game of the season and we haven’t seen him i don’t think he way 100% healthy then but after the career he had you have to let him play a full season for his final season
    Unless the NCCA gives him a medical redshirt one play on the field takes away the redshirt. The new redshirt rules only apply to D1 FBS FOOTBALL

Quote Originally Posted by WayneStatesman View Post
    Last time Wayne State played at Grand Valley, I was able to go on the Grand Valley web site and watch the game for free. I assume you can do the same for this game, it's worth a try anyway.
    You can even watch the pre-game special!
    https://gvsulakers.com/news/2018/10/...-saturday.aspx

As a side note, the weather is looking perfect for football with 53/45, no precip, and the sun setting right at game time. You can't ask for any better for an assessment of two West Michigan teams.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast