Thread: Nullified Game?

Default Nullified Game?

It's mentioned in the standings thread that UIU has a nullified win(?) can someone share what that means exactly?

Default Re: Nullified Game?

No news articles anywhere, no info on the school or conference website I sent emails to the AD and the conference itself asking what happened. No response as of yet

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

I asked them on Twitter last night. Still no answer.

I'm wondering if an ex-QB who used to post quite often on here slipped onto the field for a play now that his eligibility has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by cidpeacock View Post
    It's mentioned in the standings thread that UIU has a nullified win(?) can someone share what that means exactly?
    It's similar to when it happened to Winona State in basketball early this decade. There was likely a recruiting violation or something else that has resulted in UIU playing with an ineligible player.

From the NSIC Constitution:

If an institution competes with an ineligible student-athlete the violation will be reported immediately to the Commissioner. The NSIC Principles of Nullification will be applied to all contests in which the ineligible student-athlete competed. The principles of nullification are outlined below.

NSIC Principles of Nullification – During the Regular Season and Championship Segment.
    1. The NSIC Principles of Nullification will be applied independently from the NCAA Division II Principles of Nullification.
    2. The ineligible student-athlete and the institution he or she represents will be penalized. As it relates to access to NSIC championships, a penalty will be assessed to the individual’s team won/loss percentage which may impact the individual’s and/or team’s opportunity for selection to postseason competition.
    3. All contests in which an ineligible student-athlete competes will be nullified (win, lose, or tie). The nullification of a contest will penalize only the individual and/or institution using an ineligible student-athlete.
    4. The number of nullified contests is identified and the penalty is assessed for each nullified contest. If a student-athlete was deemed ineligible and then reinstated through the NCAA reinstatement process, only those contests in which the student-athlete competed while ineligible will be nullified. The competition prior to or after that time will not be nullified.
    5. The penalty assessed will vary from sport to sport. It will be a mathematical calculation that is relevant to each sport and reduces the percentage of the win-loss record. The value of the nullification will be consistent with the NCAA Division II Championships Committee’s formula illustrated below.

The nullification "formula" for football is 0.023. How that's applied, I'm not sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    It's similar to when it happened to Winona State in basketball early this decade. There was likely a recruiting violation or something else that has resulted in UIU playing with an ineligible player.

From the NSIC Constitution:

If an institution competes with an ineligible student-athlete the violation will be reported immediately to the Commissioner. The NSIC Principles of Nullification will be applied to all contests in which the ineligible student-athlete competed. The principles of nullification are outlined below.

NSIC Principles of Nullification – During the Regular Season and Championship Segment.
    1. The NSIC Principles of Nullification will be applied independently from the NCAA Division II Principles of Nullification.
    2. The ineligible student-athlete and the institution he or she represents will be penalized. As it relates to access to NSIC championships, a penalty will be assessed to the individual’s team won/loss percentage which may impact the individual’s and/or team’s opportunity for selection to postseason competition.
    3. All contests in which an ineligible student-athlete competes will be nullified (win, lose, or tie). The nullification of a contest will penalize only the individual and/or institution using an ineligible student-athlete.
    4. The number of nullified contests is identified and the penalty is assessed for each nullified contest. If a student-athlete was deemed ineligible and then reinstated through the NCAA reinstatement process, only those contests in which the student-athlete competed while ineligible will be nullified. The competition prior to or after that time will not be nullified.
    5. The penalty assessed will vary from sport to sport. It will be a mathematical calculation that is relevant to each sport and reduces the percentage of the win-loss record. The value of the nullification will be consistent with the NCAA Division II Championships Committee’s formula illustrated below.

The nullification "formula" for football is 0.023. How that's applied, I'm not sure.
    I will speak to this briefly in my column this week....but you are on the right track here. I spoke with the league office today about it briefly.

Self-reported, a player was allowed to play in a game when they were not eligible. The - .023 to their winning % is applied but does not impact W/L of any of the teams involved. Instead of being .333 overall, they are listed at .310. (win percentage)

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    I will speak to this briefly in my column this week....but you are on the right track here. I spoke with the league office today about it briefly.

Self-reported, a player was allowed to play in a game when they were not eligible. The - .023 to their winning % is applied but does not impact W/L of any of the teams involved. Instead of being .333 overall, they are listed at .310. (win percentage)
    As usual, TMZ Witt comes through. Or would this be 60 Minutes Witt? Either way, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Thanks