Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Elon beats JMU

  1. #1

    Default Elon beats JMU

    Will Curt be at a P5 next year?

    What he's done there is amazing.

  2. Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    I agree that Curt has done a tremendous job at Elon. He also did a fab job with a program reboot at IUP.

    But no wonder JMU lost. They had Ben DiNucci at QB and some Indiana scrub catching passes from him.

    -

  3. Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    A big reason for Elon's success is former Millersville QB, former Kutztown University Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator who helped build Kutztown in the power it is today in PSAC East, Drew Folmar.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    242
    Rep Power
    21882

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    I wish Temple would have hired Curt rather than Coach Collins lol. I suspect if he wants he will be a HC at a G5 school in the American Conference I think the leap is too great for him to get a P5 gig unless its an academic school but then the odds are heavily stacked against him (Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    678
    Rep Power
    6391

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Congrats to Coach Cignetti ! He took a bad team and QUICKLY turned it around !!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    3845

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    This is a nice turn around. I feel this is a tight recruiting area too, IMO. A jump to a Power 5 school is unlikely, but a Group of 5 is very possible. Maybe a respectable one at that? Getting a P5 gig is very tough, you don't realize how hard it is to get your foot in the door...that's the hard part. You can have the record and numbers but getting known is a different thing. Most of these interviews are based on how other coaches respect you. Not saying CG isn't there, I don't know. But it's a tough road to so and wish him luck.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Congrats to Coach Cignetti ! He took a bad team and QUICKLY turned it around !!
    Someone once said that when you talk about coaching you are one of those dads. Coaching makes a big difference.

  8. Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    This is a nice turn around. I feel this is a tight recruiting area too, IMO. A jump to a Power 5 school is unlikely, but a Group of 5 is very possible. Maybe a respectable one at that? Getting a P5 gig is very tough, you don't realize how hard it is to get your foot in the door...that's the hard part. You can have the record and numbers but getting known is a different thing. Most of these interviews are based on how other coaches respect you. Not saying CG isn't there, I don't know. But it's a tough road to so and wish him luck.
    His connection to Nick Saban probably doesn’t hurt. But I tend to agree, somewhere in the Group of 5 will be his next landing spot.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,826
    Rep Power
    55804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    This is a nice turn around. I feel this is a tight recruiting area too, IMO. A jump to a Power 5 school is unlikely, but a Group of 5 is very possible. Maybe a respectable one at that? Getting a P5 gig is very tough, you don't realize how hard it is to get your foot in the door...that's the hard part. You can have the record and numbers but getting known is a different thing. Most of these interviews are based on how other coaches respect you. Not saying CG isn't there, I don't know. But it's a tough road to so and wish him luck.

    I agree, but he’s a pretty well traveled assistant at the P5 level. I think the jump from where he’s at now to the P5 level is pretty large depending on the expectations of the program.

    Like Chuck said, the connection to Saban is pretty gigantic. He headed up the recruiting while he was there.

    You can also contribute some of Curt’s success there to a previous knowledge of that area. He coaches at NC State previously. He may have formed some good relationships down there that has helped him to recruit well at Elon. But I don’t know how many of those guys he brought in have been impact players yet.

    There were some pretty strong rumors linking him to Southern Miss in 2012. I would have to look at what his salary is, but I don’t know how much more money he would be paid there versus what he is making at Elon. Maybe he thinks he’s got a nice thing going at Elon. I don’t know.

    The thing that can’t be overstated is that Curt isn’t a spring chicken. He is not at the ideal age to become an FBS head coach for the first time in his life. A lot of these programs either want a proven head coach at that level or a young up and comer.

    If you were looking for a potential P5 landing spot, I would actually look at Maryland as a potential landing spot. With what has gone on there, I doubt many of those coaches are retained or want to come back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I agree, but he’s a pretty well traveled assistant at the P5 level. I think the jump from where he’s at now to the P5 level is pretty large depending on the expectations of the program.

    Like Chuck said, the connection to Saban is pretty gigantic. He headed up the recruiting while he was there.

    You can also contribute some of Curt’s success there to a previous knowledge of that area. He coaches at NC State previously. He may have formed some good relationships down there that has helped him to recruit well at Elon. But I don’t know how many of those guys he brought in have been impact players yet.

    There were some pretty strong rumors linking him to Southern Miss in 2012. I would have to look at what his salary is, but I don’t know how much more money he would be paid there versus what he is making at Elon. Maybe he thinks he’s got a nice thing going at Elon. I don’t know.

    The thing that can’t be overstated is that Curt isn’t a spring chicken. He is not at the ideal age to become an FBS head coach for the first time in his life. A lot of these programs either want a proven head coach at that level or a young up and comer.

    If you were looking for a potential P5 landing spot, I would actually look at Maryland as a potential landing spot. With what has gone on there, I doubt many of those coaches are retained or want to come back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He takes Elon to final 4 look for him to get possibly North Carolina job....just sayin

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    It would have to be a pretty down and out P5 program. FBS job? Sure.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Carolinas
    Posts
    2,647
    Rep Power
    18526

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    He takes Elon to final 4 look for him to get possibly North Carolina job....just sayin
    I'd say the UNCC job would be a more realistic next step, especially if he can recruit the Carolinas and Mid-Atlantic well. Then if he can have some success there then I could see him at an ACC school.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    It would have to be a pretty down and out P5 program. FBS job? Sure.
    I see Cignetti as an insider in the coaching fraternity. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he could land a P5 giig. Probably not a top 20 program, though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I see Cignetti as an insider in the coaching fraternity. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he could land a P5 giig. Probably not a top 20 program, though.
    Sure. The only looming vacancies on the East Coast I would presume at this point are Maryland and North Carolina. Could be more - maybe Georgia Tech or Rutgers. But even so these are still programs where donors have a vote in the process and I can't say his resume would satisfy those folks.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Sure. The only looming vacancies on the East Coast I would presume at this point are Maryland and North Carolina. Could be more - maybe Georgia Tech or Rutgers. But even so these are still programs where donors have a vote in the process and I can't say his resume would satisfy those folks.
    This is all speculation, of course, but compare it to the jump James Franklin made. Predicting the future is a tricky business.

  16. Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    I could see him getting the UNC job if it opens. But the usual bump up would be a MAC program. Win a few years and then P5. He has Alabama on his resume. That's all the "street cred" you need combined with his Elon turn around...(and IUP from the "average and classy" years)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    This is all speculation, of course, but compare it to the jump James Franklin made. Predicting the future is a tricky business.
    I don't see the comparison. Which transition for Franklin are you referencing? I don't see one that fits.

    Pete Lembo went from Elon to Ball State so I agree with EdinboroFB that if he lands anywhere it will be with a MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, or AAC school. Unless he wins the FCS national championship then maybe a down and out Power 5 like BC, UNC, or Rutgers.

    UNC Charlotte or East Carolina are more realistic.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by PSAC Pride! View Post
    A big reason for Elon's success is former Millersville QB, former Kutztown University Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator who helped build Kutztown in the power it is today in PSAC East, Drew Folmar.
    .......and to think he foolishly passed on the Milersville job..!!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Elon beats JMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I don't see the comparison. Which transition for Franklin are you referencing? I don't see one that fits.
    I was referencing going from Vanderbilt to Penn State. Franklin had a couple years of success at a program that had been down and then made what most people believed was a big leap to PSU. I realize that you would consider that to be a lateral move (just joking).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    30801

    Default

    Let’s not forget that Curt came to IUP because the grind at the FBS level, even as an assistant, was too much. That’s what he said at the time anyway. Of course, that was at Alabama, which might be tougher than working in the NFL. I don’t know how old his kids are now, although his daughter just graduated from IUP. That is likely a factor too.

    Things change and maybe being the HC at IUP got him reinvigorated. Just like playing, coaching gets in your blood and it’s hard to imagine doing anything else. Whatever he wants for his coaching career, I wish the best for him. He did a nice job at IUP, and is doing well at Elon. I’m sure he’ll get opportunities if he’s open to them.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •