Thread: The Battle of the Minnesota State's

Contribute to D2

Default The Battle of the Minnesota State's

Mankato vs Moorhead. 5-0 vs 4-1. Pretty solid matchup between these two schools. I picture a very tight game with defense being the stars.

How do we see all of this going down?

Default Re: The Battle of the Minnesota State's

I don't know enough about Moorhead's team to really know what to expect from them. Assuming the Mavs play with intensity from the start, and don't turn the ball over too often, I would expect them to wear down Moorhead by the second half.

I believe the Mavs will be too much for the Dragons. First half might be closer than some would guess, but by end of game it'll likely be a 3 score margin. Also, I believe we'll see two 100 yard rushers in Gunn and Taromina this week.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Mankato vs Moorhead. 5-0 vs 4-1. Pretty solid matchup between these two schools. I picture a very tight game with defense being the stars.

How do we see all of this going down?
    I honestly don’t see it being close imo. The Dragons have benefited from a soft schedule and The one quality team they played, they got blown out by over 50 points. But that’s why you play the games!

Prediction: Mavs 49-24

Mavs 38 - 13

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

The Dragons will have to go to the air. Can the Mavs hold on to the ball, both in time of possession and the turnover battle? Last week giving up only 3 points after having 3 turnovers, and then either scoring or setting up touchdowns by the defense was key. Hopefully the Mavs are not slow out of the gate so I can exhale in the second half.

I'm thinking this will be close in the first half and depending on 2nd half adjustments, I think this could end up being closer than people think! Very hopeful 31-28 Dragon win at the end of the day

well..... definitely the fastest start for the mavs offense so far this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    well..... definitely the fastest start for the mavs offense so far this season!
    Indeed. Slowed down quite a bit, but still have the lead at the half.

Mavs 35
    Dragons 14

MSU 42, Moorhead St. 20, Final.

On the positive side, a good start for the Mavs, and no turnovers I can recall. Also they sacked the Moorhead QB 11 or 12 times.
    Nissen's kickoff return was amazing. You don't often see a tight end returning one for a TD.
    99 yards of penalties today; need to reduce that amount.
    Anyway, another win and back home vs. Minot State next week.

Sacks killed us today. There were 3 plays that I can think of that changed the game in the Mavs favor.

1. Nissen's KO return to start the 2nd half.
    2. 3rd down catch by Zylstra right before half and then the score with 6 seconds left
    3. Zylstra's 59yd TD after a fumble

Those were the 3 plays I felt swung the game. Statistically it was a pretty even game other than TO's and sacks.

I will say I got a chance to meet Chance Bowen before the game. Seems like a great kid and he was super proud that his dad is a Dragon Hall of Fame member!

AND I got the luxury of meeting Laker today too! Always fun to get to meet guys from the board in real life!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    Sacks killed us today. There were 3 plays that I can think of that changed the game in the Mavs favor.

2. 3rd down catch by Zylstra right before half and then the score with 6 seconds left

Those were the 3 plays I felt swung the game. Statistically it was a pretty even game other than TO's and sacks.

I will say I got a chance to meet Chance Bowen before the game. Seems like a great kid and he was super proud that his dad is a Dragon Hall of Fame member!

AND I got the luxury of meeting Laker today too! Always fun to get to meet guys from the board in real life!
    Agree, those three plays definitely changed the momentum. I was surprised the Mavs did not just run out the clock at the end of the first half, but it paid off for them not too.
    The Dragons look like an improving team.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

This just in: Zylstra is pretty good.

28-0 lead shrinks in half. Mavs score right before half. Nissen runs like his Uncle Dewey Marble was chasing him with a pitchfork. I was talking to Double Nickels as it unfolded- two devastating blocks opened a hole as wide as Highway 212 as the Pride of Renville County looked like a runaway 18 wheeler heading for home on a Saturday night.

Oddly, the Mavs couldn't seem to do a lot after that kickoff return on offense. Too many penalties. It was like they lost their edge. I was standing by the end zone talking to Dragon Hall of Famer Paul Brigandi- former linebacker who looked like he could still crack my head like a peanut (make that a cashew). A young lady near us said, "Well, we scored 20 points against the #1 team in the nation. That's pretty good!"

No one was within 7 yards of him on the route when the ball got there. He's a very difficult matchup with his size and speed.

While I think we backed off a little early, it was another solid game for the Mavericks! S/o to d line for getting constant pressure to the QB with 10 SACKS!! 10!! If we can get pressure like that, then we will go far!

Next up is Minot st. which is now likely their easiest opponent for the season and will likely look ahead to other beaver team in BSU. I hope this isn’t a trap game but college is different than nfl (bills vs Vikings for example lol).