Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LIU to become one program

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Contribute to D2

Default LIU to become one program

I read that LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post will be combing all programs into D1.

http://athletics.liu.edu/faqs/

Default Re: LIU to become one program

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I read that LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post will be combing all programs into D1.

http://athletics.liu.edu/faqs/
    wow... is this the 2nd NE10 team to be leaving this year? Think i read somewhere that Merrimack was out as well? Is the NE10 going to have enough conference members to continue?

Just seeing this, not sure what I think - since Post is a D2 program, would their athletes suffer from the transition since they will be merged with a D1 school in Brooklyn? Maybe the NEC is a soft landing for the Post athletes since some of the NEC's football programs aren't really better than D2 programs (then again, some of Post's players got interest from D1 schools). New Haven played Bryant (picked third in the NEC) this year and hung with them for a good chunk of the game, but too many turnovers sunk them.

Curious if this might help Pace at all, since they may be able to grab D2 players from Long Island without worrying about Post? Or would Post have an easier time recruiting the same players since the unified LIU would be D1?

If/when this happens, it's a big loss for NE10 football. The conference is already changing with Merrimack on the way out and Franklin Pierce coming in. Assumption (I think) graduates most of their golden generation after this year and will need to retool with a new coach. Does this cause other NE10 schools to think about moving up to D1? New Haven did explore D1 membership a while back when they were having trouble as an independent.

Hope Collins gets a pay raise indicative of a D1 football coach!

You are right - Merrimack has been accepted by the NEC and will transition to D1.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Looks like this is supposed to start in 2019-20.

I gotta say this comes as a complete surprise. I'm in the middle of my workday, so I don't have time to digest all of this. Will have more to say later.

7. Default Re: LIU to become one program

Im shocked. What will happen with scheduling next year? To have a full 10 game schedule teams will now have to schedule 2 OOC games. Going to miss the AIC/Post rivalry.

This has some potential to be great, seems like Post losses recruits to near by NEC schools. Although competing to be one of the top teams in D2 was a great experience.

9. Default Re: LIU to become one program

So will football be played as FCS in the NEC?

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    So will football be played as FCS in the NEC?
    It probably would be. Looks like the plans are to build a new athletic complex with a football field. Not sure how much of the Post facilities will carry over to the new university.

From what Ive read online it looks like at least Football will stay at the Post campus with upgrades to the stadium. Then the other sports I don't know, LIU Brooklyn has a successful basketball program so that would stay there i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowjacketalum View Post
    Im shocked. What will happen with scheduling next year? To have a full 10 game schedule teams will now have to schedule 2 OOC games. Going to miss the AIC/Post rivalry.
    That could get messy. The PSAC got Shepherd to replace Cheyney, so they’ll probably stick to one OOC game. The MEC is changing too. The GMAC might be open to OOC games but they’re mostly in Ohio. I’d rather not schedule D1 or D3 teams but that might be necessary to get 10 games (I know back in the day both New Haven and AIC played Springfield College a bunch).

Quote Originally Posted by cwfenn View Post
    That could get messy. The PSAC got Shepherd to replace Cheyney, so they’ll probably stick to one OOC game. The MEC is changing too. The GMAC might be open to OOC games but they’re mostly in Ohio. I’d rather not schedule D1 or D3 teams but that might be necessary to get 10 games (I know back in the day both New Haven and AIC played Springfield College a bunch).
    When did Springfield drop from D2 to D3? I seem to recall them being in the old D2 NECC with Keene State, Franklin Pierce, Lowell, Southern Connecticut and New Haven in the early 1990s.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    From what Ive read online it looks like at least Football will stay at the Post campus with upgrades to the stadium. Then the other sports I don't know, LIU Brooklyn has a successful basketball program so that would stay there i'm sure.
    From the link above:

Teams that will compete in Brooklyn are: Basketball (Men’s and Women’s), Bowling (Women’s), Fencing (Women’s), Ice Hockey (Women’s), Softball, Swimming (Women’s), Track & Field (Men’s and Women’s), Volleyball (Women’s), and Water Polo (Women’s).

Teams that will compete at Post are: Baseball, Cross Country (Men’s and Women’s), Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf (Men’s and Women’s), Lacrosse (Men’s and Women’s), Rowing (Women’s), Rugby (Women’s), Soccer (Men’s and Women’s), Tennis (Women’s), and Wrestling.

https://www.northeastconference.org/...i-program.aspx
    Last edited by NE10Fan; 10-03-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    When did Springfield drop from D2 to D3? I seem to recall them being in the old D2 NECC with Keene State, Franklin Pierce, Lowell, Southern Connecticut and New Haven in the early 1990s.
    From looking at their old football schedules, looks like they made the switch to D3 around 1995.

Interesting fact - From 1982-93 they played a home-and-home series with AIC each year.
    Last edited by cwfenn; 10-04-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Football and 6 other sports will move to D1. Post and presumably Merrimack as well will join the NEC and play a full 12-game schedule. Men's and women's basketball will be played in Brooklyn. Any Post players who elect to join Brooklyn-based teams will be provided with transportation to and from practices/games. All teams will be referred to as "Long Island University," thereby further advancing LIU's decades-long effort to completely subsume the C.W. Post name. As a final touch, Post's traditional school colors of green and gold will be abandoned and new colors of light blue and gold (blue from LIU and gold from Post) will be adopted for all teams. All existing scholarships will be honored.
    The seating capacity of the stadium and ancillary facilities will be upgraded to meet FCS requirements. That will certainly involve a welcome replacement of the east (visitors) grandstand and an overall increase in seating capacity (maybe we'll finally get lights- just my opinion).
    I have to wonder if the NE10's abandonment of championship weekend had any impact on Post's decision. IMO, the decision to cut back to a 10-game schedule pretty much puts the damper on any chance of a second NE10 team to make the post-season playoffs. I think that, notwithstanding the impending departure of Post and Merrimack, the decision was very short-sighted, especially since the level of competition in the conference has shown so much improvement in recent years.

There are FCS seating requirements? Whomever enforces those have obviously never been to the NEC stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by CWP '68 View Post
    Football and 6 other sports will move to D1. Post and presumably Merrimack as well will join the NEC and play a full 12-game schedule. Men's and women's basketball will be played in Brooklyn. Any Post players who elect to join Brooklyn-based teams will be provided with transportation to and from practices/games. All teams will be referred to as "Long Island University," thereby further advancing LIU's decades-long effort to completely subsume the C.W. Post name. As a final touch, Post's traditional school colors of green and gold will be abandoned and new colors of light blue and gold (blue from LIU and gold from Post) will be adopted for all teams. All existing scholarships will be honored.
    The seating capacity of the stadium and ancillary facilities will be upgraded to meet FCS requirements. That will certainly involve a welcome replacement of the east (visitors) grandstand and an overall increase in seating capacity (maybe we'll finally get lights- just my opinion).
    I have to wonder if the NE10's abandonment of championship weekend had any impact on Post's decision. IMO, the decision to cut back to a 10-game schedule pretty much puts the damper on any chance of a second NE10 team to make the post-season playoffs. I think that, notwithstanding the impending departure of Post and Merrimack, the decision was very short-sighted, especially since the level of competition in the conference has shown so much improvement in recent years.
    Proud to be part of the green and gold's growth CWP68, sad that it won't be those colors anymore but pretty excited for the future of the program. In a few years Long Island might have a new big rivalry game every year. LIU Vs Stony Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    There are FCS seating requirements? Whomever enforces those have obviously never been to the NEC stadiums.
    LOL ... Most draw worse than PSAC games.

Quote Originally Posted by CWP '68 View Post
    I gotta say this comes as a complete surprise. I'm in the middle of my workday, so I don't have time to digest all of this. Will have more to say later.
    I know this will not thrill you but if the $$$ are there to make a first rate job of the conversion especially in FB, I can foresee some amazing rivalry games especially OOC vs STONY BROOK, FORDHAM, ALBANY and others. Good luck and drop by the D2 MB when the urge hits you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast