Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle for the kit!

Contribute to D2

Default Battle for the kit!

Homecoming is always a special one especially if it’s a traveling trophy game! Glad I’m able to attend this one! Go Mavs!

Default Re: Battle for the kit!

A long-time rivalry, to be sure. Hopefully the Mavs begin the game with high intensity.

It's always great to beat Winona and Duluth but it's something special beating St. Cloud...go mavs

I’m wondering why they aren’t gettingTaormina imvolved much this year. Having over 1000 yards last year as a backup you’d think they’d continue giving him chances. Still been a very good game today. Defense really came to play so far.

Love half the helmets! Need the MAVERICK on both sides. Never been a fan of numbers on the helmet (or even one side).

Also, St. Cloud is in rough shape. They are behind by 30+ and have just been pounding the ball rather than even really attempting to throw it.

Final score: MSU 45, SCSU 10. The defense played very well, and scored a few TD's on their own. Great to make it to 5-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Also, St. Cloud is in rough shape. They are behind by 30+ and have just been pounding the ball rather than even really attempting to throw it.
    Rough shape?!?! You're too kind. 5 receptions for 51 yards all day. Underwood is a good coach who typically does more with less, but this year's reduction to 17 scholarships is going to hit this program hard. For the first time in a very long time SCSU is not even the best team in Stearns County.

Quote Originally Posted by StateU View Post
    Rough shape?!?! You're too kind. 5 receptions for 51 yards all day. Underwood is a good coach who typically does more with less, but this year's reduction to 17 scholarships is going to hit this program hard. For the first time in a very long time SCSU is not even the best team in Stearns County.
    State U, that reduction in scholarships is devastating, especially with at least several conference teams moving toward the D2 maximum of 36 very soon. It places the football program in a very difficult position.

StateU: UMD, who not long ago won a D2 football championship, recently dropped in FB scholarships. SCSU FB, who has had their moments in FB over the years, have also dropped in scholarships. Is there an inverse correlation with these two FB programs and their expensive hockey programs (thinking of the financial loses on the women's side in particular)?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
    StateU: UMD, who not long ago won a D2 football championship, recently dropped in FB scholarships. SCSU FB, who has had their moments in FB over the years, have also dropped in scholarships. Is there an inverse correlation with these two FB programs and their expensive hockey programs (thinking of the financial loses on the women's side in particular)?
    How many scholarships does UMD offer?

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    State U, that reduction in scholarships is devastating, especially with at least several conference teams moving toward the D2 maximum of 36 very soon. It places the football program in a very difficult position.
    Agreed. I feel bad for Coach Underwood.

How many scholarships does UMD offer?
    According to UMD1 in last weeks chat says: "On a side note, the announcers just said that UMD is 10th in the NSIC in scholarships with 20.5?!?!? As injuries pile up that will come back to bite them again."

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Love half the helmets! Need the MAVERICK on both sides. Never been a fan of numbers on the helmet (or even one side).
    Or the Mankato St. Indians?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
    According to UMD1 in last weeks chat says: "On a side note, the announcers just said that UMD is 10th in the NSIC in scholarships with 20.5?!?!? As injuries pile up that will come back to bite them again."
    Interesting. I would be willing to bet that their Title IX lawsuit has something to do with the reduction? SCSU just settled one lawsuit and one was thrown out of court.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Or the Mankato St. Indians?
    When I was in school they wore blueish- purple helmets with a spear on the side a la Washington Redskins Sonny Jurgenson era. Also blueish- purple jerseys. Not even sure what to call that color.

When my sister was there- the Bernie Maczuga era- they had gold helmets, gold pants, purple jerseys with the Indian on the sleeves. I saw one of those today at the football alumni meeting.

Personally, I LOVE the mean looking Mav head. The Mavericks in the form of an animal is unique but the Mav head is recognizable from further away. You have to be up close to figure out the other one.

The SCSU- MSU rivalry used to be great. So many times one or the other team, usually SCSU, ruined the other team's season. MSU knew that they could lose, and even if they didn't they would need an ice bath later because it would be bruising. Lately MSU has had the edge. Not playing each other every year doesn't help. It just doesn't have the same feeling anymore.

BTW, I did ring the Victory Bell in your honor after the game. But I strolled off instead of running at hundred yard dash speed......

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    When I was in school they wore blueish- purple helmets with a spear on the side a la Washington Redskins Sonny Jurgenson era. Also blueish- purple jerseys. Not even sure what to call that color.

When my sister was there- the Bernie Maczuga era- they had gold helmets, gold pants, purple jerseys with the Indian on the sleeves. I saw one of those today at the football alumni meeting.

Personally, I LOVE the mean looking Mav head. The Mavericks in the form of an animal is unique but the Mav head is recognizable from further away. You have to be up close to figure out the other one.
    I love that old logo...it's my computer home screen picture. I love our current logo but I wish they'd use the old logo a bit more often

I think the Victory Bell story you referred to also included an adult beverage as part of the build up - just a guess
    THE Saint Cloud State University :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by scsu83 View Post
    I think the Victory Bell story you referred to also included an adult beverage as part of the build up - just a guess
    No chocolate milk was involved in that epic tale. There was thunder and lightning but no chocolate milk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast