Thread: Emporia State at Northwest Missouri State (Military Appreciation Day)

Contribute to D2

Default Emporia State at Northwest Missouri State (Military Appreciation Day)

IH8FERRIS

Default Re: Emporia State at Northwest Missouri State (Military Appreciation Day)

Bearcats will need to put maximum pressure on Emporia QB, Marstall.

Last edited by NW Normal; 09-27-2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Emporia State at Northwest Missouri State (Military Appreciation Day)

When you've lost 25 straight to a team there are a lot of reasons for it. But over the past 4-5 years I would have to say the Bearcats ability to put pressure on Hornet QBs while rushing just four players has been the major factor.
    That and special teams. I know it sounds crazy when you get beat 34-0 but I really feel that the key play in last year's game was the blocked FG returned for a TD to give NWMSU a 10-0 lead. Take that out and IF the FG is made it's 3-3 to start the second quarter. Then add the failed attempt at the fake field goal at the end of the half and it very easily could have been 10-6 Hornets at the half. Granted the Bearcats put up 21 unanswered in the second half but 20-10 is a lot different than 34-0.

ESU offense is pretty different this season. Getting Nault going and running Marstall a little bit will be the key for them, imo.

Pressure on the QB is not part of our defensive scheme, nor is covering the receivers...

The one WR ESU has who can catch could give the D fits, too.

I have 5 tickets available in the top of Section EE if anyone is interested.

Our secondary was exposed last week and I'd fully expect ESU to try and exploit it like UCO did. Going to take a much better effort up front and in the secondary this week to avoid a second straight loss. Wright will need to use his feet to keep ESU defense honest and open up more deep throws.

I would say that we need to establish the run. We have arguably the best set of guys to run in the conference, if not in D2. I would like to see 40+ rushing attempts with 200+ yards gained. Passing attempts to 25 or less.
    IH8FERRIS

Quote Originally Posted by IM N GUD H&NZ BEARCAT View Post
    I would say that we need to establish the run. We have arguably the best set of guys to run in the conference, if not in D2. I would like to see 40+ rushing attempts with 200+ yards gained. Passing attempts to 25 or less.
    Right now they are averaging 35/35 with nearly all of the Carries coming from 3 guys. Those 3 guys are averaging around 9 totes per game each. Not sure how the last 2 weeks with one blowout and one attempt to come from behind skew those numbers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Right now they are averaging 35/35 with nearly all of the Carries coming from 3 guys. Those 3 guys are averaging around 9 totes per game each. Not sure how the last 2 weeks with one blowout and one attempt to come from behind skew those numbers, though.
    The fact that one of the 3 guys is the qb could also skew the numbers - how many of the "rush attempts" were actually sacks or scrambles by Wright?

Little big man: Jack Richards

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    The fact that one of the 3 guys is the qb could also skew the numbers - how many of the "rush attempts" were actually sacks or scrambles by Wright?
    Yeah. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by IM N GUD H&NZ BEARCAT View Post
    Agreed. Going to be semi-crappy weather. Establishing the run / ball security on O and the DBs not getting boat-raced again will be the keys to winning this Sat.

Yeah. Good point.
    Probably at least 60/40 designed runs....probably.
    IH8FERRIS

Over under on the amount of times ESU tries to take the top off the NW D is set at 9.

Over under on the amount of times ESU tries to take the top off the NW D is set at 9.
    Sounds about right. What's the O/U on their success rate?

Quote Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
    Sounds about right. What's the O/U on their success rate?
    5 or 200 yards whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    When you've lost 25 straight to a team there are a lot of reasons for it. But over the past 4-5 years I would have to say the Bearcats ability to put pressure on Hornet QBs while rushing just four players has been the major factor.
    That and special teams. I know it sounds crazy when you get beat 34-0 but I really feel that the key play in last year's game was the blocked FG returned for a TD to give NWMSU a 10-0 lead. Take that out and IF the FG is made it's 3-3 to start the second quarter. Then add the failed attempt at the fake field goal at the end of the half and it very easily could have been 10-6 Hornets at the half. Granted the Bearcats put up 21 unanswered in the second half but 20-10 is a lot different than 34-0.
    The recipe to end your losing streak is there. UCO was able to take advantage of a major weakness that MW and Southern (DUH) couldn't and WU for some reason just stopped. NW can't get pressure on QB and DB's can't cover. Pretty simple.