Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DU goes 4-0

Default Re: DU goes 4-0

Quote Originally Posted by DUpanthers View Post
    I am not clueless, but you have to realize to things, every time DU wins everyone brings up the face that they played a NAIA and DIII school. DU is building a program and can go 11-0 still not make the playoffs, I would bet that if this was eligible playoff year, they wouldn’t have NAIA/DIII schools on the schedule. What does it matter if your 11-0, 9-0 when you can’t make the post season. Build the programs confidence. I don’t expect this team to win any more than 6-7 games.. but a 6-7 season for a team in their 2nd year of DII is good season, continue to build on that. BIllyGV you act like those 2 games are going to affect GVSU making the playoffs...
    Alright I’ve been watching this as an outsider all season just to see what would be said about DU, but I couldn’t stay out any longer and had to join in. Foreclosure: I am a DU fan, so my opinion may be biased; but I feel like it may be a little more realistic and rational than my Panther partner DUpanthers.

First of all, DUpanthers, you need to be a little less on edge about all this. You’re gonna make Panther nation look bad! Who cares if other people don’t like our schedule? They have every reason to criticize it because it doesn’t benefit their team. That’s a fact, not their opinion. Just like if another team in the conference did something that didn’t benefit us - we have the right to be upset and point out the flaws of the situation. Doesn’t mean you have to get all defensive...I think they all understand the reasoning behind why it’s on our schedule, they just don’t like it because it doesn’t benefit their team. Again, if you’re a DU fan, who cares if GV and Ferris don’t like our schedule. It’s not our job to make them happy.

That being said (here comes my biased DU voice), I do think what DU has been able to accomplish in such short time is remarkable. Whether or not there has been DIII or NAIA schools on the schedule, they have been winning games. Regardless of how these next few weeks go, come mid to late October this success is going to be hit with a rude awakening with GV/Ferris/Ashland. But that’s ok. That’s expected. These teams (mainly GV and Ferris this year) are making all the other teams in the conference look silly anyways, so who cares if we aren’t to their level yet. Being only our 3rd year even playing football games, to be where we are at in such a tough conference should be labeled as a success on its own.

I guess in conclusion, I just wanted to add my two cents to reassure everyone else in the GLIAC that us DU fans can be respectful and rational in our football talk. On the other hand, I’m hoping to see a little more respect for DU and what they’ve accomplished, even if that comes in the same season where beating GV isn’t a realistic expectation. Give us time - say 2-3 more years and I think it’s totally realistic to see DU flirting with a consistent spot in the top third of the conference. But who knows, might just be the DU goggles I’m watching this season through.

2. Default Re: DU goes 4-0

I am good, it just funny that GVSU fans that are worried that DU could affect if they make the playoffs, when they will probably end up 10-1, 11-0... You are correct, I could careless what everyone else thinks, I am just going to smile and enjoy the season for these young men. I was just explaining why their schedule was the way it was. Next they will be saying that the DII Quincy game doesn't count because they lost to a FCS and NAIA team this year.. So Actually DU is only 2-0... LOL!

On the game itself -- DU has to fix the kicking game (could have cost them the game), but the Defense only held Mayon to 47 yards rushing... Realistically just hoping for a 3-3 finish over the next 6 games......and hoping for competitive games against FS/GV/Ash --

When it is all said and done, I will be rooting for GV/FS to win a NC once the playoffs get here.

I am good, it just funny that GVSU fans that are worried that DU could affect if they make the playoffs, when they will probably end up 10-1, 11-0... You are correct, I could careless what everyone else thinks, I am just going to smile and enjoy the season for these young men. I was just explaining why their schedule was the way it was. Next they will be saying that the DII Quincy game doesn't count because they lost to a FCS and NAIA team this year.. So Actually DU is only 2-0... LOL!

On the game itself -- DU has to fix the kicking game (could have cost them the game), but the Defense only held Mayon to 47 yards rushing... Realistically just hoping for a 3-3 finish over the next 6 games......and hoping for competitive games against FS/GV/Ash --

When it is all said and done, I will be rooting for GV/FS to win a NC once the playoffs get here.
    Because it still affects postseason seeding purposes. For example, if GVSU and NWMS both end up at 10-1, then Davenport having two less actual wins on their schedule for statistical purposes could result in GVSU being the #3 seed while NWMS is the #2 seed, when even a pair of bad D-II teams for DU would help more. If GVSU's Opponents' winning percentage (one of the top statistics used to determine rankings) ends up being 0.10 lower because DU really only has 5 wins instead of 7, and that's what determines them being #3 instead of #2 (which is extremely feasible), then we would have reason to complain. Let's hope it doesn't end up mattering, but there's more than enough reason for GV or FSU people to point out that it hurts. It isn't about just making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. It is about seeding compared to other conference's playoff teams and whether there is an extra home game or not in the playoffs.

4. Default Re: DU goes 4-0

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Because it still affects postseason seeding purposes. For example, if GVSU and NWMS both end up at 10-1, then Davenport having two less actual wins on their schedule for statistical purposes could result in GVSU being the #3 seed while NWMS is the #2 seed, when even a pair of bad D-II teams for DU would help more. If GVSU's Opponents' winning percentage (one of the top statistics used to determine rankings) ends up being 0.10 lower because DU really only has 5 wins instead of 7, and that's what determines them being #3 instead of #2 (which is extremely feasible), then we would have reason to complain. Let's hope it doesn't end up mattering, but there's more than enough reason for GV or FSU people to point out that it hurts. It isn't about just making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. It is about seeding compared to other conference's playoff teams and whether there is an extra home game or not in the playoffs.
    I understand your complaint, but it is not DU's fault, it is more the fault of all the teams that jumped ship few years ago. DU wouldn't even be D2, if you still had all the GLIAC teams, then you wouldn't have the need to schedule out of conference games. When the 6 teams that jumped shipped, GLIAC and GMAC should have comprised and said we will do cross over games for all non-conference. That probably would have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    How about you go out and find DU a few D2 games to play, and while you are at it bring a few to GVSU and XSU, XSU only has 9 next year and GVSU only has 10..getting D2 games is no easy feat...at least DU is up and playing..unless you have a solution quit ragging on the poster..DU can only play the games they have on the schedule..

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    How about you go out and find DU a few D2 games to play, and while you are at it bring a few to GVSU and XSU, XSU only has 9 next year and GVSU only has 10..getting D2 games is no easy feat...at least DU is up and playing..unless you have a solution quit ragging on the poster..DU can only play the games they have on the schedule..
    I have never said anything negative about it happening. I don't care who they play. They can play 12 D-III schools for all I care. The poster kept asking why it matters, and I have explained it. He kept questioning it, because it doesn't sound like he understands how it affects playoff positioning. So I explained it some more. Your condescension here is noted.

I understand your complaint, but it is not DU's fault, it is more the fault of all the teams that jumped ship few years ago. DU wouldn't even be D2, if you still had all the GLIAC teams, then you wouldn't have the need to schedule out of conference games. When the 6 teams that jumped shipped, GLIAC and GMAC should have comprised and said we will do cross over games for all non-conference. That probably would have helped.
    And nobody has said anything about it being DU's fault, from what I see. We simply pointed out why the schedule matters and what it affects. I haven't seen anyone here saying DU is in the wrong for having the schedule they have, or that they intentionally did it, or whatever. If that has been done, please point it out and I will correctly chastise those people. I have simply explained why the teams they have played so far matters and why it is worth pointing out. I don't care if you play all NAIA and D-III schools. Feel free. I just explained why people talk like DU actually has two less wins than they do - because that's how it is scored in the grand scheme of things for D-II.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    I gotta go with Kle on this one. DUPanthers keeps bringing up lack of respect and complaints about people criticizing the schedule. In this thread, there are only congrats that I see. The comments about the schedule are in relation to how DU's record will play out for PO seedings. It actually had little to do with DU, but rather a hope that some GLIAC teams MAY have another opponent at .500. That's where this started. DUP then took it as a shot that their record is suspect since it's not all D2. THAT wasn't the point a bit. DUp can and should support his Panthers, but he's gone too far on the the schedule. It seemed like he may not understand how the PO seedings are determined and some tried to explain.

Again, especially DUP, someone tell me where someone bagged DU for scheduling non-D2games? I didn't see it. Point it out (maybe there is one? but clearly the majority have congratulated DU.)

9. Default Re: DU goes 4-0

Quote Originally Posted by ShowtimeSniper View Post
    Alright I’ve been watching this as an outsider all season just to see what would be said about DU, but I couldn’t stay out any longer and had to join in. Foreclosure: I am a DU fan, so my opinion may be biased; but I feel like it may be a little more realistic and rational than my Panther partner DUpanthers.

First of all, DUpanthers, you need to be a little less on edge about all this. You’re gonna make Panther nation look bad! Who cares if other people don’t like our schedule? They have every reason to criticize it because it doesn’t benefit their team. That’s a fact, not their opinion. Just like if another team in the conference did something that didn’t benefit us - we have the right to be upset and point out the flaws of the situation. Doesn’t mean you have to get all defensive...I think they all understand the reasoning behind why it’s on our schedule, they just don’t like it because it doesn’t benefit their team. Again, if you’re a DU fan, who cares if GV and Ferris don’t like our schedule. It’s not our job to make them happy.

That being said (here comes my biased DU voice), I do think what DU has been able to accomplish in such short time is remarkable. Whether or not there has been DIII or NAIA schools on the schedule, they have been winning games. Regardless of how these next few weeks go, come mid to late October this success is going to be hit with a rude awakening with GV/Ferris/Ashland. But that’s ok. That’s expected. These teams (mainly GV and Ferris this year) are making all the other teams in the conference look silly anyways, so who cares if we aren’t to their level yet. Being only our 3rd year even playing football games, to be where we are at in such a tough conference should be labeled as a success on its own.

I guess in conclusion, I just wanted to add my two cents to reassure everyone else in the GLIAC that us DU fans can be respectful and rational in our football talk. On the other hand, I’m hoping to see a little more respect for DU and what they’ve accomplished, even if that comes in the same season where beating GV isn’t a realistic expectation. Give us time - say 2-3 more years and I think it’s totally realistic to see DU flirting with a consistent spot in the top third of the conference. But who knows, might just be the DU goggles I’m watching this season through.
    There is no room for intelligent conversation in this forum. Please come here with only inflamed egos or sarcasm. Nothing less will be tolerated...
    No on the fact sides it will be interesting to see how DU moves forward when they have to recruit to NCAA standards and not the NAIA levels that were given a pass on for a few years...the last chance U guys MIGHT have a little tougher time getting in. Whatever happens it is nice to have a back yard rival for GVSU in sports. Best of luck to your team moving forward, except of course when you play GVSU, no luck that day, just good health!
    Sparky is a good guy he will get you some wins!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12