Thread: West Chester U School Of Music Receives 3 Million Dollar Donation

Contribute to D2

Default West Chester U School Of Music Receives 3 Million Dollar Donation

Well that should pay for next year’s half time show prop budget. IUP needs to find some money...our band is falling too far behind.

Default Re: West Chester U School Of Music Receives 3 Million Dollar Donation

The IUP band is very good. It's just not a 'football band' .... unfortunately.

I think the IUP band brass view home games as an obligation. Nothing more.

It still burns me to see the band lined up awaiting the player entrance.

There was a time IUP had the most intimidating field entrance around with the drums beating the Cherokee sound.

They took the song away. They could at least play the drum sequence.

Just remember ...

Who ya gonna call

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The IUP band is very good. It's just not a 'football band' .... unfortunately.

I think the IUP band brass view home games as an obligation. Nothing more.

It still burns me to see the band lined up awaiting the player entrance.

There was a time IUP had the most intimidating field entrance around with the drums beating the Cherokee sound.

They took the song away. They could at least play the drum sequence.

Just remember ...

Who ya gonna call

Absolutely.

Crimson Express is deflating.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Absolutely.

Crimson Express is deflating.
    Wow, good for WCU. Very generous.

What type of donation would it take to get Cherokee back do you think? Seven figs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Wow, good for WCU. Very generous.

What type of donation would it take to get Cherokee back do you think? Seven figs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You offer 7 figures for Cherokee and they'd be playing it today.

Good for the WCU Band. It’s a wonderful band!

Since this thread has quickly turned into another iup thread...I can’t understand why your band can’t play any song they desire! I’m sure ANY band director could make up a show with “Cherokee” and a variety of other songs. What’s the big deal? If the Cal Band played Cherokee for fun during Saturday’s game would they get in trouble? Would iup fans get in trouble for cheering while listening to it? Incredible.

IUP sees itself as a 'competition band' and not a 'football band' ... that's the quick answer.

This past Saturday the Mercyhurst band came in here and stole the show. They played non-stop for FOUR quarters and played game-style music. The IUP band takes the whole third quarter off.

Guessing, but MU played 5 songs to every one IUP did.

IUP sees itself as a 'competition band' and not a 'football band' ... that's the quick answer.

This past Saturday the Mercyhurst band came in here and stole the show. They played non-stop for FOUR quarters and played game-style music. The IUP band takes the whole third quarter off.

Guessing, but MU played 5 songs to every one IUP did.

How was their halftime show? Probably not as good as IUP’s.

How was their halftime show? Probably not as good as IUP’s.
    They (MU) didn't play at halftime due to the HOF inductions.

I get it. Competition IUP would destroy them. I'm talking purely from a football game view.

They (MU) didn't play at halftime due to the HOF inductions.

I get it. Competition IUP would destroy them. I'm talking purely from a football game view.

But the IUP has never been a game band...they play more during a game now than they did 25-30 years ago.

But the IUP has never been a game band...they play more during a game now than they did 25-30 years ago.
    Time for change.

Congrats to WCU School of Music! I have seen their band performance several times at football games and it is very impressive.

Why was Cherokee no longer played at IUP? I think it came with a new band director wanting to make his mark. And it occurred at a time where there was a desire to distance the university from references to the Indian nickname and mascot. If the song had been otherwise titled it is my opinion it would be fine being played.

Quote Originally Posted by BADinPA View Post
    Congrats to WCU School of Music! I have seen their band performance several times at football games and it is very impressive.

Why was Cherokee no longer played at IUP? I think it came with a new band director wanting to make his mark. And it occurred at a time where there was a desire to distance the university from references to the Indian nickname and mascot. If the song had been otherwise titled it is my opinion it would be fine being played.

I thought the said the NCAA wouldn’t allow it so they changed it.

Whatever the reason is, it’s bogus.

Thats cool for wcu nobody cares about iup and your stupid band this thread is about wcu and their alumni donation

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Thats cool for wcu nobody cares about iup and your stupid band this thread is about wcu and their alumni donation
    NO BAND IS STUPID. Even iup’s. Bands add a lot to football game days. They work hard and get few rewards for their efforts. In these days when so many music programs are being cut, we need to EMPHASIZE the arts and SUPPORT them.

I started the thread.

Try again.

Be nice, Homer. Most football players end up working for those band kids once real life starts.