Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Thursday Night Football!!!

  1. #1

    Default Thursday Night Football!!!

    So with the final 2018 NSIC installment of Thursday Night Football tonight, I am curious what others think of playing NSIC games on Thursday night? I think I'm right that the reason for this was the partnership with Midco to show these games on TV (someone correct me if that's wrong). Also, does anyone know if that is why the division games were played the first 4 weeks this year? That exposure is good for the conference, but I'd be curious to see how many people the NSIC games on Midco reach. As for availability of watching the games, the NSIC app is great and I can watch any NSIC game I want on that. I think most NSIC fans already do the same. I can't speak from a player's perspective, but losing 2 days to recover and prepare has to make it a little harder. From a fan perspective, I know there were some Northern fans that were disappointed the home opener was on a Thursday night. Many fans travel long distances and having to work the next day deters some people from going. I guess for now, I'm glad it is only four weeks and I don't think I want it to expand any further into the season.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    772
    Rep Power
    15933

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    As a fan, it can be tough to get to them but for the most part I like them but 4 weeks is enough.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Renville County, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,691
    Rep Power
    4782

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    In general I like the concept, as it gives you a chance to see other teams in action you normally would not.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    I can understand the problems it has on the players, and maybe travel (?), but four weeks this early in the season is a good opportunity to see teams you wouldn't necessarily watch on Sat.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    In general I like the concept, as it gives you a chance to see other teams in action you normally would not.
    What if the conference worked with schools to schedule Saturday games more like how big college games are. Right now it seems to be 1 pm or 6/7 pm. What if you had two games at 11 am, two at 2 pm, two at 5 pm and two at 7:30 pm, something like that? Obviously, they'd have to work to find more visitor-friendly travel times (farther distance gets the early games so they can get back home the same day), but it'd be a way to maybe get more eyes on games?

  6. Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    So with the final 2018 NSIC installment of Thursday Night Football tonight, I am curious what others think of playing NSIC games on Thursday night? I think I'm right that the reason for this was the partnership with Midco to show these games on TV (someone correct me if that's wrong). Also, does anyone know if that is why the division games were played the first 4 weeks this year? That exposure is good for the conference, but I'd be curious to see how many people the NSIC games on Midco reach. As for availability of watching the games, the NSIC app is great and I can watch any NSIC game I want on that. I think most NSIC fans already do the same. I can't speak from a player's perspective, but losing 2 days to recover and prepare has to make it a little harder. From a fan perspective, I know there were some Northern fans that were disappointed the home opener was on a Thursday night. Many fans travel long distances and having to work the next day deters some people from going. I guess for now, I'm glad it is only four weeks and I don't think I want it to expand any further into the season.
    I prefer Saturdays. Getting ready for a Thursday game on a short week is difficult for all of us involved in game operations and don't like seeing Duluth getting knocked out of two days of practice. If it's D-1, I get it because of big-time TV coverage. But in D-2, it makes no sense to play Thursdays.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    In general I like the concept, as it gives you a chance to see other teams in action you normally would not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    I can understand the problems it has on the players, and maybe travel (?), but four weeks this early in the season is a good opportunity to see teams you wouldn't necessarily watch on Sat.
    Agree with both.

    Also agree with Stangers idea about staggering start times on Saturdays. Maybe not four tiers, but two or three would be nice. Night games in November are less than comfortable at most NSIC locations!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Night games in November are less than comfortable at most NSIC locations!
    I know SMSU moves all November (and late October) games to 1 pm kickoffs. I don't know the last time I've seen a night game that late in the year.

    But even if it was 11 am and 2 pm....or noon and 3 pm for start times would probably work.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    BTW, I'll be watchin' Wayne beat up CSP tonight.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    I'm not a fan of it at all. Fans struggle with getting to the game before kickoff and for travel and short weeks for teams, I dont think it's the best for players! I'd rather see staggered starts on Saturday like was mentioned earlier.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,992
    Rep Power
    802906

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Could be in for some weather delays tonight it looks

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,827
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    September or early October games at night are great. No November games or even late October games should be.

    It is nice to sit home and watch Thursday night games- not so much fun if you have an away game to go to.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,827
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Concordia St. Paul
    @CSPBears
    38m38 minutes ago
    More
    ALERT: @CSPBearsFB vs @wscwildcats in #NSICFB is in a weather delay. Current timeline is for a 6:30 p.m. kickoff at Sea Foam Stadium. The @NorthernSunConf game will still be televised on @MidcoSN

  14. #14

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    What if the conference worked with schools to schedule Saturday games more like how big college games are. Right now it seems to be 1 pm or 6/7 pm. What if you had two games at 11 am, two at 2 pm, two at 5 pm and two at 7:30 pm, something like that? Obviously, they'd have to work to find more visitor-friendly travel times (farther distance gets the early games so they can get back home the same day), but it'd be a way to maybe get more eyes on games?
    This would not work.

    The first thing you have to consider is that people will attend their team's game first.

    Tonight, there are 14 fan bases that can watch the game.

    11am - 4 fan bases unavailable to watch on TV because they are attending
    - 4 other fan bases unavailable to watch on TV because they are traveling to the 2pm games or tailgating
    2pm - 4 fan bases unavailable to watch on TV because they are attending
    - 4 other fan bases unavailable to watch on TV because they are leaving the 11am games
    - 4 other fan bases unavailable to watch on TV because they traveling to the 5pm games or tailgating
    Etc.

    Obviously, not every fan that attends a home game will go on the road and not everyone tailgates, etc. But especially with the long distances in the NSIC, the likelihood is that people will be unavailable at a much greater rate than Thursdays.

    A great matchup on Thursdays is absolutely the best way to do TV.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    160 miles S of SUFU. As a crow flies
    Posts
    1,571
    Rep Power
    306547

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Massive T-storm rolling through the Twin Cities. Going to be awhile before kick-off. Cannot believe Sioux Falls has had 6 and a half inches of rain the past 2 days, I'll bet farmers are not pleased with harvest coming up.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,827
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Massive T-storm rolling through the Twin Cities. Going to be awhile before kick-off. Cannot believe Sioux Falls has had 6 and a half inches of rain the past 2 days, I'll bet farmers are not pleased with harvest coming up.
    That would be an understatement. West of here near Renville they had six inches- and that isn't counting the last couple of days. It was like a monsoon here. I currently have three inches of water in my basement. I'm going back and forth because I don't dare let the sump pump burn out. I got it down to an inch and a half- give it a rest- and it comes back in again.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,827
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Update from the TMZ of D2football.com:

    Matt Witwicki
    @WittD2Football
    7m7 minutes ago
    More Matt Witwicki Retweeted Concordia St. Paul
    Looks like this game is now Live Stats only..no video feed..due to storms that rolled through. CSP up 12-0 early in 2nd.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    So no game stream tonight?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mankato, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    1,943
    Rep Power
    13987

    Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Update from the TMZ of D2football.com:

    Matt Witwicki
    @WittD2Football
    7m7 minutes ago
    More Matt Witwicki Retweeted Concordia St. Paul
    Looks like this game is now Live Stats only..no video feed..due to storms that rolled through. CSP up 12-0 early in 2nd.
    Supposedly a tornado came through town here in Janesville, MN. I drove through the one that hit outside of Eagle Lake today on my way home. Areas around my family farm got hit pretty hard too but nobody knows if it was tornado or heavy winds.

  20. Default Re: Thursday Night Football!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    So no game stream tonight?
    No video feed tonight. Couldn't get a signal out due to the severe weather in that part of MN tonight. BUT the MidcoSN announcers are doing an audio stream at https://portal.stretchinternet.com/n...reamType=video. 26-0 Concordia at halftime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •