Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the biggest upset in your conference last week?

Contribute to D2

Default What was the biggest upset in your conference last week?

Valdosta State were 3 point dogs to West Alabama (Massey) and ended up winning by 34 this past Saturday. Were there any big upsets in your conference last week?

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: What was the biggest upset in your conference last week?

0-2 Upper Iowa came from 13 down to upset 2-0 Winona State by one in the NSIC.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    0-2 Upper Iowa came from 13 down to upset 2-0 Winona State by one in the NSIC.
    That was pretty big, Winona was ranked 10th. Is Upper Iowa a sleeper sorta like Valdosta or are they more like a mid tier team that will jump up and beat one of the better teams every now and then? By sleeper I mean a perennial top of the conference type team. Like, VSU is pretty good year in year out but our being unranked was based on our last season.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    That was pretty big, Winona was ranked 10th. Is Upper Iowa a sleeper sorta like Valdosta or are they more like a mid tier team that will jump up and beat one of the better teams every now and then? By sleeper I mean a perennial top of the conference type team. Like, VSU is pretty good year in year out but our being unranked was based on our last season.
    When they came in they were towards the bottom. They are about a 50-50 team. It is best to play them late in the season because they don't have a lot of depth and the injuries deplete them. They almost beat UMD a year or two ago, I can't remember which.

The NSIC South tends to be MSU, USF and WSU. Augie can beat anyone but had a bad year in 2017. Concordia, Southwest, Upper Iowa and Wayne State pull some upsets but tend to be in the bottom half.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    When they came in they were towards the bottom. They are about a 50-50 team. It is best to play them late in the season because they don't have a lot of depth and the injuries deplete them. They almost beat UMD a year or two ago, I can't remember which.

The NSIC South tends to be MSU, USF and WSU. Augie can beat anyone but had a bad year in 2017. Concordia, Southwest, Upper Iowa and Wayne State pull some upsets but tend to be in the bottom half.
    Got it. Is the north competitive and which division claims superiority?

Up in New England, Merrimack beat Bentley 35-30. Bentley was picked to possibly give the top teams in the Northeast-10 a run but are now 1-2, and they barely won the one game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    Got it. Is the north competitive and which division claims superiority?
    Typically, the south owns the north, with the exception of UMD.

8. Default Re: What was the biggest upset in your conference last week?

I know the NCAA.com website announced Mines win over CSU Pueblo was an upset, but it wasn't. Colorado Mines clearly spent the summer preparing for something special this year. They are well conditioned and very disciplined, so they'll show up ready to play every week and will likely win the RMAC. Hopefully, CSU Pueblo can win all of their remaining games and Mines can help carry them into the playoffs.

Not an upset per se, Shippensburg and California were both playoffs teams last year and both were picked to finish second in their division in the PSAC this year. But Cal pounded Ship 57-14. Not sure who saw that coming.

IDK if I'd call it an upset, but it kind of was I guess. Wingate was defending SAC champions and Carson-Newman beat them by 17 and it could have been worse. Eagles had at least 3 touchdowns called back because of penalties. Instead of 31-14, it could have easily been 52-14. CN was preseason pick to win the SAC and I thought they'd win so I don't know how much of an upset it really was.

Quote Originally Posted by canadarican View Post
    IDK if I'd call it an upset, but it kind of was I guess. Wingate was defending SAC champions and Carson-Newman beat them by 17 and it could have been worse. Eagles had at least 3 touchdowns called back because of penalties. Instead of 31-14, it could have easily been 52-14. CN was preseason pick to win the SAC and I thought they'd win so I don't know how much of an upset it really was.
    We've all been waiting on the return of CN and when I say return I mean to their dominant form. Could this be that team?

Hillsdale's 34-18 victory over Ohio Dominican University. ODU was ranked 12th in the AFCA poll, and 18th in the D2football.com poll, and undefeated at 2-0 coming into the game. Hillsdale was 1-1, having lost in overtime 31-30 to Michigan Tech (GLIAC) at Tech due to a missed xtra point that would have sent the game into the second overtime. Must mention, in all fairness to ODU, their starting QB went down in the second quarter and a red-shirt freshman played well for most of the game. Both teams committed turnovers. Hillsdale 5, ODU 6. Wild game. Lots of interceptions and big plays. ODU next faces Findlay at Findlay, and Hillsdale hosts Lake Erie College (0-3) in Hillsdale for homecoming.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    I know the NCAA.com website announced Mines win over CSU Pueblo was an upset, but it wasn't. Colorado Mines clearly spent the summer preparing for something special this year. They are well conditioned and very disciplined, so they'll show up ready to play every week and will likely win the RMAC. Hopefully, CSU Pueblo can win all of their remaining games and Mines can help carry them into the playoffs.
    I mean, it was an unranked team against the #9 team who had won the RMAC 8 years in a row. It was a huge upset.

Davenport over Michigan Tech was pretty shocking.

Blog Entries

No real upsets in the MIAA last week (we didn't have any in the first week, either), but in Week 2, MoWest took down defending MIAA champ FHSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Typically, the south owns the north, with the exception of UMD.
    the gliac has done quite well vs the south...also did quite well vs umd

Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    the gliac has done quite well vs the south...also did quite well vs umd
    Other than GV who are the top programs in the GILAC, is there a big 3? I always thought there were more teams, maybe VSU could do a home & home with GV? I know we played SV one year to open our season but was probably to help fill out our schedule during those lean years when the GSC had only 5 or 6 teams.
    Last edited by boyblue; 09-20-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Central Oklahoma beats Northwest Missouri State 31-21 tonight, and the game wasn’t even that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Central Oklahoma beats Northwest Missouri State 31-21 tonight, and the game wasn’t even that close.
    I had to go and check

wtf??

Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    I had to go and check

wtf??
    Retweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast