Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    87

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    DC gets the interim tag........

    A National search begins soon? After the season? Does the AD do his job and put some feelers out right now??? Who might they be able to get to take this job?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Columbia / Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    12957

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    I would suspect Dr. Marble is pretty hands-on with this hire ... Just my two cents

    Spitballing on candidates - BUT would think Joe Bettasso would get every opportunity to win the job over the rest of the year. Atiba Bradley will get a long look, as he should https://goyotes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=953&path=football ... Pie in the sky candidate would be Brad Cornelsen https://hokiesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=255 - but can't imagine a scenario he'd do that - Dark horse candidates: Jeff Sims at Garden City CC http://www.gobroncbusters.com/sports..._Sims?view=bio and Jerry Partridge https://gostatesmen.com/coaches.aspx...&path=football

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I would suspect Dr. Marble is pretty hands-on with this hire ... Just my two cents

    Spitballing on candidates - BUT would think Joe Bettasso would get every opportunity to win the job over the rest of the year. Atiba Bradley will get a long look, as he should https://goyotes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=953&path=football ... Pie in the sky candidate would be Brad Cornelsen https://hokiesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=255 - but can't imagine a scenario he'd do that - Dark horse candidates: Jeff Sims at Garden City CC http://www.gobroncbusters.com/sports..._Sims?view=bio and Jerry Partridge https://gostatesmen.com/coaches.aspx...&path=football
    Good insight Frost.....

    I am hopeful that Dr. Marble will put some thought into this and put together a panel of people to conduct this coaching search....

    I do wonder though, do you turn to someone who has not had any real head coaching experience or someone who has had HC experience prior to this job, even at the a JUCO or NAIA before someone who has never been an HC...

  5. #5

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I would suspect Dr. Marble is pretty hands-on with this hire ... Just my two cents

    Spitballing on candidates - BUT would think Joe Bettasso would get every opportunity to win the job over the rest of the year. Atiba Bradley will get a long look, as he should https://goyotes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=953&path=football ... Pie in the sky candidate would be Brad Cornelsen https://hokiesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=255 - but can't imagine a scenario he'd do that - Dark horse candidates: Jeff Sims at Garden City CC http://www.gobroncbusters.com/sports..._Sims?view=bio and Jerry Partridge https://gostatesmen.com/coaches.aspx...&path=football
    winner

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Columbia / Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    12957

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    winner
    That name is purely 100% from me - although he'd certainly be one of my first calls ...

  7. Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Let's make sure we get a guy who can recruit!

    We have some nice players, but we've came up empty as well on some guys we thought had the talent and thus we were really counting on them, and they weren't capable at this level / league.

    Truly best wishes to Denver and thanks for giving it your best the past three-plus years.

  8. #8

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Partridge would be a home run hire. Could you imagine him coming back to the MIAA with a chip on his shoulder?

    Bradley would be great as well. I remember him being a natural leader with a lot of charisma.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Let's make sure we get a guy who can recruit!

    We have some nice players, but we've came up empty as well on some guys we thought had the talent and thus we were really counting on them, and they weren't capable at this level / league.

    Truly best wishes to Denver and thanks for giving it your best the past three-plus years.
    I certainly do appreciate all that Denver Johnson tried to do at MSSU. He took over a program that was not in a great place, and had the programs best interest at heart.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by MOSO27 View Post
    Good insight Frost.....

    I do wonder though, do you turn to someone who has not had any real head coaching experience or someone who has had HC experience prior to this job, even at the a JUCO or NAIA before someone who has never been an HC...
    Coordinators turned HC seem to do well in the MIAA - Chris Brown, Jim Svodoba (although he did get a bit of HC in nebraska), Craig Schurig, Tim Beck, Rich Wright and I'm probably missing some

    Denver Johnson had HC experience, quite a bit of it; I think MO So should find a coordinator that wants to make it his own.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    Coordinators turned HC seem to do well in the MIAA - Chris Brown, Jim Svodoba (although he did get a bit of HC in nebraska), Craig Schurig, Tim Beck, Rich Wright and I'm probably missing some

    Denver Johnson had HC experience, quite a bit of it; I think MO So should find a coordinator that wants to make it his own.
    Do you consider Bart Tatum a success as an HC? Certainly it looked great on paper, but I think Bart is better suited for being an OC....but you are right, some do work out well.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,744
    Rep Power
    236138

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    I hope MoSo’s not smart enough to hire JP.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chillicothe...Home of Sliced Bread
    Posts
    3,780
    Rep Power
    50475

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Maybe you can sway HookEmHerd as your "color analyst"...
    IH8FERRIS

  14. Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    JP would be a great hire for them. Setting aside the proven ability to win in the MIAA, there are so many parallels between MW and MoSo as universities (less parallels as football programs, largely because JP has been at one of them and not at the other).

  15. #15

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I would suspect Dr. Marble is pretty hands-on with this hire ... Just my two cents

    Spitballing on candidates - BUT would think Joe Bettasso would get every opportunity to win the job over the rest of the year. Atiba Bradley will get a long look, as he should https://goyotes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=953&path=football ... Pie in the sky candidate would be Brad Cornelsen https://hokiesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=255 - but can't imagine a scenario he'd do that - Dark horse candidates: Jeff Sims at Garden City CC http://www.gobroncbusters.com/sports..._Sims?view=bio and Jerry Partridge https://gostatesmen.com/coaches.aspx...&path=football
    This is a strong post... I will say "Pie in the sky" is putting it lightly re: Cornelsen since he'd probably take like a 60+% pay cut haha.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,822
    Rep Power
    841391

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Partridge is the perfect fit. Him at MoSo would be the best MIAA hire since Mel T, IMO.

  17. Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Partridge is the perfect fit. Him at MoSo would be the best MIAA hire since Mel T, IMO.
    I agree he's a great fit, but this seems like an overstatement.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by MOSO27 View Post
    Do you consider Bart Tatum a success as an HC? Certainly it looked great on paper, but I think Bart is better suited for being an OC....but you are right, some do work out well.
    I'd take 25-39 right now over 3-33

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,822
    Rep Power
    841391

    Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    I agree he's a great fit, but this seems like an overstatement.
    Maybe so. Especially when I think about Schurig and Brown turning around programs that were bad forever.
    I do think he'll be the first shot at a great fit they have had since Ware. I don't see him building a dynasty, but turning MoSo into a middle of the pack team who is occasionally PO caliber would be a pretty amazing achievement.

    I think they need to offer him 150K this morning and get this thing done.

  20. Default Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Maybe so. Especially when I think about Schurig and Brown turning around programs that were bad forever.
    I do think he'll be the first shot at a great fit they have had since Ware. I don't see him building a dynasty, but turning MoSo into a middle of the pack team who is occasionally PO caliber would be a pretty amazing achievement.

    I think they need to offer him 150K this morning and get this thing done.
    Something tells me the next MSSU coach is not going to make more than the coaches at NW, UCM and Pitt State. MoSo should find out what he made at MW, find out what he's making now, look at the median HC salary in the MIAA and offer something close to the higher of those numbers.

    Maybe I'm imagining something into JP's personality based upon his postgame comments at past games but I get the impression that he would love the opportunity to come back to the MIAA, be given his own little corner of the world to get to work in and try to build something that could challenge the top of the conference. I don't think they'll have to break the bank for his salary--a resource commitment to the program for scholarships, recruiting budget and assistant coaches would probably all be more important than what they're offering him for his salary (assuming they're not going to insult him). But like I said, I may be reading too much into what his personality has always seemed like to me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •