Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best and worst coaching staffs??

Contribute to D2

Default Who has the best and worst coaching staffs??

I am curious to know who has the best coaching staffs in the PSAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Who has the best and worst coaching staffs??

I won't put Ship's raw talent at the top. But I certainly would consider their coaching staff to be one of the best. Maciejewski has been money at home for seven years (disregarding Saturday), gets good assistants, and runs an upbeat program.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    I won't put Ship's raw talent at the top. But I certainly would consider their coaching staff to be one of the best. Maciejewski has been money at home for seven years (disregarding Saturday), gets good assistants, and runs an upbeat program.
    I'd say there is a difference between running a program, and the game day coaching. For just game day, I'd probably go with Schaetzle at Hurst and Clements at KU, Tort easily the best DC, and, He manages the game well but not sold on the OC. Zwann runs a great program, as does Maciejewski. the proof is in the wins . Then there is recruiting. . .

With a few exceptions, though, I think coaching in the PSAC is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I'd say there is a difference between running a program, and the game day coaching. For just game day, I'd probably go with Schaetzle at Hurst and Clements at KU, Tort easily the best DC, and, He manages the game well but not sold on the OC. Zwann runs a great program, as does Maciejewski. the proof is in the wins . Then there is recruiting. . .

With a few exceptions, though, I think coaching in the PSAC is pretty good.
    easily the best D coordinator? lol

Quote Originally Posted by MC1313 View Post
    I am curious to know who has the best coaching staffs in the PSAC?

Bloomsburg had the best head coach when Hale was there but now nobody stands out. Torts is 16-1 right now as a head coach but he needs another year or two on his resume for a full appraisal .

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Bloomsburg had the best head coach when Hale was there but now nobody stands out. Torts is 16-1 right now as a head coach but he needs another year or two on his resume for a full appraisal .
    Torts came at perfect time.

It's a loaded question -- and hard to answer.

For one, not all programs are created equal.

Would Clarion's Chris Wiebel look like a star if he had a budget like SRU or IUP? Perhaps.

College is so much about recruiting and the ability to keep kids focused to execute a game plan rather than being a mastermind of X's and O's like the pro level.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    College is so much about recruiting and the ability to keep kids focused to execute a game plan rather than being a mastermind of X's and O's like the pro level.
    very true, except when you don't go for 2 when you're down 5, or when you snap into the end zone, when you are ahead with 59 seconds to go.

Mike Terwilliger has by-and-large been a great OC, and Jimmy has had a lot of coaching success in high school so I'm hopeful he is successful. Now, our defensive coaching leaves a great deal to be desired; I would say the DC needs to be replaced, but knowing ESU, they'd probably promote the young defensive backs coach they just hired, David Castillo, since he's an "ESU guy", and the cycle would just continue.

Of course, Denny is who he is, and there's not much point trying to say anything that hasn't already been said. I do think his luster may have faded a little bit in these 2010s as ESU has struggled to keep up with the top PSAC programs, but his place in the books is solidified. Maybe if he was better at surrounding himself with defensive minds that could shore up that side of the ball, ESU would still be a 6+ win team and we'd be talking about one of the better overall coaching staffs considering the budget.

Recruiting aspect of coaching: I know some coaches are more upfront with their players. Shippensburg sets a more realistic expectations for incoming Freshmen and runs very productive training camps. Loch Haven on the other hand does a poor job of communicating and lost a lot of incoming recruits. Millersville (new staff) time will tell with their next year as they hit the recruiting trail. ESU is up in the air (with this looking to be Douds last year) but the staff under him doesn’t look like they will make any real changes so look for more of the same the next few years of 3-7 records. Kutztown I know very little of but understand they get some outside help utilizing some recruiting services. It looks as though a lot of the PSAC colleges rely on their summer camps and local information then any real recruiting. Once Shepard enters the league it looks like they will set the standard on how to recruit as they are in a different league like IUP.

Quote Originally Posted by MC1313 View Post
    Recruiting aspect of coaching: I know some coaches are more upfront with their players. Shippensburg sets a more realistic expectations for incoming Freshmen and runs very productive training camps. Loch Haven on the other hand does a poor job of communicating and lost a lot of incoming recruits. Millersville (new staff) time will tell with their next year as they hit the recruiting trail. ESU is up in the air (with this looking to be Douds last year) but the staff under him doesn’t look like they will make any real changes so look for more of the same the next few years of 3-7 records. Kutztown I know very little of but understand they get some outside help utilizing some recruiting services. It looks as though a lot of the PSAC colleges rely on their summer camps and local information then any real recruiting. Once Shepard enters the league it looks like they will set the standard on how to recruit as they are in a different league like IUP.

Different league like "IUP" Omg you're right their quality of players just has been so much better than Cal and SRU lol

Quote Originally Posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    Mike Terwilliger has by-and-large been a great OC, and Jimmy has had a lot of coaching success in high school so I'm hopeful he is successful. Now, our defensive coaching leaves a great deal to be desired; I would say the DC needs to be replaced, but knowing ESU, they'd probably promote the young defensive backs coach they just hired, David Castillo, since he's an "ESU guy", and the cycle would just continue.

Of course, Denny is who he is, and there's not much point trying to say anything that hasn't already been said. I do think his luster may have faded a little bit in these 2010s as ESU has struggled to keep up with the top PSAC programs, but his place in the books is solidified. Maybe if he was better at surrounding himself with defensive minds that could shore up that side of the ball, ESU would still be a 6+ win team and we'd be talking about one of the better overall coaching staffs considering the budget.

I agree the issue at ESU is the defense Coordinator. That being said If the new assistant head coach (Jimmy) doesn’t make changes then it will rough roads ahead and if he can’t make a do it it reflects on his ability as a head coach. The DC for the last few years has been flat out horrible. This will affect their future recruiting process and is probably one of the reasons the DC coach had to lie to get some recruits in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    very true, except when you don't go for 2 when you're down 5, or when you snap into the end zone, when you are ahead with 59 seconds to go.
    i wonder who this could be referring to? nine days later, it's still painful

You can argue that, but you can also argue that he's the right guy for the given situation. It goes both ways. There's great coaches in bad situations. There's terrible coaches in good situations. There's good coaches in good situations at the right time. I think that's Tort.

Curt Cignetti had an abundance of talent at IUP, but he peaked. The program likely hit the highest point they were ever going to go with Curt. I was disappointed to see Curt go, but I think Tort is just the right guy for the situation. I don't necessarily think he "came at the perfect time." There's arguably just as much talent on the field today as there was in Cignetti's last season in 2016. I think the depth is better and the #1s are probably better, but we aren't talking about night and day differences here. I just think Tort is better at getting the most out of guys. He interacts well with players, gets support from fans and donors because he is lively, energetic, and speaks the language. Curt was an introvert. Interviews were dry, recruiting had become stagnant, buzz around the program had faded. That all changed with Tort longed before he ever coached one play as the head coach. He just injected more life and enthusiasm into the program than Curt could at that point. Sometimes you forget coaching is more of a sales position than anything.

Success in coaching isn't necessarily about X's and O's, talent on your roster, etc. It's about if you are the right personality to lead the crop of players that is on your roster at that current moment in time.
    Last edited by IUP24; 09-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of all of the coaching staffs in the PSAC, but it always seems like Shippensburg manages to attract quality assistant coaches, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

The initial question in the thread is a tough one to answer. There's a lot of turnover on coaching staffs at this level of college football. The key to good coaching staffs is stability. If a program has stability on a staff at this level that could mean a couple things... 1) They are simply happy or waiting for the right opportunity, or 2) They just aren't good enough to progress any further.

Speaking as an IUP fan, I know they didn't lose any coaches. But they have some young guys on their staff. If they have another big year, chances are those guys are elsewhere next year, which is the way it should be if they are talented enough to progress.

The fact is, most coaches don't stay at this level for long. I don't know what everybody does for a living, but we probably all make more money than most of the guys who are assistants at PSAC programs.

Or he’s just the right coach for IUP. We have standards that need to be met and he was hired by Frank who set those standards.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    You can argue that, but you can also argue that he's the right guy for the given situation. It goes both ways. There's great coaches in bad situations. There's terrible coaches in good situations. There's good coaches in good situations at the right time. I think that's Tort.

Curt Cignetti had an abundance of talent at IUP, but he peaked. The program likely hit the highest point they were ever going to go with Curt. I was disappointed to see Curt go, but I think Tort is just the right guy for the situation. I don't necessarily think he "came at the perfect time." There's arguably just as much talent on the field today as there was in Cignetti's last season in 2016. I think the depth is better and the #1s are probably better, but we aren't talking about night and day differences here. I just think Tort is better at getting the most out of guys. He interacts well with players, gets support from fans and donors because he is lively, energetic, and speaks the language. Curt was an introvert. Interviews were dry, recruiting had become stagnant, buzz around the program had faded. That all changed with Tort longed before he ever coached one play as the head coach. He just injected more life and enthusiasm into the program than Curt could at that point. Sometimes you forget coaching is more of a sales position than anything.

Success in coaching isn't necessarily about X's and O's, talent on your roster, etc. It's about if you are the right personality to lead the crop of players that is on your roster at that current moment in time.
    I couldn't agree more, Tort is a perfect fit and striving from what I see. The discipline that lacked with Cignetti is evident as the team is proficient with minimal turnovers and penalties. They had some real bad penalty/discipline flags under Kurt...Not happening with Tort and great to see.....Also seems like it's Tort's way or the highway evidence by the WR and DB departures from last year's roster....Great feel for the program and juice on game day..Correct was getting real stale under Kurt.....just sayin

Only knock I see with Tort so far is they've lost a lot of kids to grades. Again ... can only take the horse to the well, ...

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Only knock I see with Tort so far is they've lost a lot of kids to grades. Again ... can only take the horse to the well, ...

Well IUP is the Princeton of the PSAC....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast