Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/17)

Contribute to D2

Default AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/17)

No. 2 Minnesota State handed Concordia-St. Paul (Minn.) a 46-13 loss, moving their record to 3-0 on the season and gathered three more first-place votes this week to move closer to the top spot in the AFCA Division II Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. The Mavericks prepare to face Winona State (Minn.), who just fell out of the Top 25 this week after its loss to Upper Iowa, this coming Saturday.

The Top 5 is still the same this week with Texas A&M-Commerce at No. 1 with 22 first-place votes. Following Minnesota State are Indiana (Pa.), Northwest Missouri State and Grand Valley State (Mich.).

There is only one Top 25 matchup this week as No. 22 Colorado State-Pueblo tries to rebound from their loss last Saturday to newly ranked No. 17 Colorado School of Mines as the ThunderWolves travel to Commerce, Texas, and take on No. 1 Texas A&M-Commerce.

AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/17)
    1. Texas A&M-Commerce (22) (3-0)
    2. Minnesota State-Mankato (6) (3-0)
    3. Indiana (PA) (4) (3-0)
    4. Northwest Missouri State (3-0)
    5. Grand Valley State (3-0)
    6. Ferris State (1) (3-0)
    7. Midwestern State (3-0)
    8. West Georgia (3-0)
    9. Ouachita Baptist (3-0)
    10. West Florida (2-1)
    11. Minnesota-Duluth (3-0)
    12. Central Washington (2-1)
    13. West Chester (3-0)
    14. Colorado Mesa (3-0)
    15. Pittsburg State (3-0)
    16. Valdosta State (3-0)
    17. Colorado School of Mines (3-0)
    18. Fort Hays State (2-1)
    19t. Harding (2-1)
    19t. Central Missouri (2-1)
    21. Southern Arkansas (3-0)
    22. Colorado State-Pueblo (2-1)
    23. West Alabama (2-1)
    24. Azusa Pacific (3-0)
    25. Indianapolis (1-1)

Dropped Out
    Winona State (#11), Ohio Dominican (#12), Sioux Falls (#24)

Others Receiving Votes
    Winona State, Sioux Falls, Florida Tech, Notre Dame College, Ohio Dominican, Tarleton State, Fairmont State, Kutztown, Edinboro, Carson-Newman, Ashland, Findlay, Hillsdale, Bowie State

2. Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/17)

Once again. Mines should be ranked higher than Mesa

Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/17)

Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    Well in good news, they get to settle that on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    You are correct, but it really doesn't matter at this point. It will all be settled in a couple of weeks.

Still don't understand why Harding is higher than SAU.

who voted ferris #1?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    who voted ferris #1?
    Either TA or MM, if I had to guess, although any of the coaches in the GLIAC could have. Maybe Findlay’s HC?

Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    who voted ferris #1?
    I don’t know how ferris doesn’t get more 1st place votes, every game has been over at halftime, top offense in the country and the most they given up is 19 and that’s because they place reserves in 2nd half

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by Bos715 View Post
    I don’t know how ferris doesn’t get more 1st place votes, every game has been over at halftime, top offense in the country and the most they given up is 19 and that’s because they place reserves in 2nd half
    Opposition quality. And there are a few teams that could claim that rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Opposition quality. And there are a few teams that could claim that rational.
    i think GV should be ranked higher also struggled against delta but bad weather beat indy good after the first half but when A&M barley wins a 2 OT game and Minn State should have lost their 2nd game. and ferris played a really good findlay team and beat them by 40+ and i know rankings mean nothing but how do you not look at ferris and think they are better up to this point. even indiana pa struggled against ashland who is down, nw missouri has done great this year also had one fairly close game but ferris has not given up more then 6 points in a the first half yet

i think GV should be ranked higher also struggled against delta but bad weather beat indy good after the first half but when A&M barley wins a 2 OT game and Minn State should have lost their 2nd game. and ferris played a really good findlay team and beat them by 40+ and i know rankings mean nothing but how do you not look at ferris and think they are better up to this point. even indiana pa struggled against ashland who is down, nw missouri has done great this year also had one fairly close game but ferris has not given up more then 6 points in a the first half yet
    IUP didn't struggle against Ashland. You should've watched the game instead of the final score. Had it not been for a couple special teams gaffs, that's a 2-3 score game. IUP largely controlled that game from the opening kickoff. And I wouldn't necessarily say Ashland is down. They lost to a good IUP team in Week 1. They played a good Ohio Dominican team who is going to win their conference in Week 2. In that loss to ODU they were without their starting quarterback because he felt the need to drink and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    IUP didn't struggle against Ashland. You should've watched the game instead of the final score. Had it not been for a couple special teams gaffs, that's a 2-3 score game. IUP largely controlled that game from the opening kickoff. And I wouldn't necessarily say Ashland is down. They lost to a good IUP team in Week 1. They played a good Ohio Dominican team who is going to win their conference in Week 2. In that loss to ODU they were without their starting quarterback because he felt the need to drink and drive.
    I think findlay wins that conference, and ashland isn’t bad by any means but they are down from last year and years before that, but if you look at scores and opp strength it’s hard to not say a team averaging 50+ points and 600 offensive yards a game and only giving up 14 a game on D with playing there 2s 1.5 QTS a game to not be considered the #1 team

I think findlay wins that conference, and ashland isn’t bad by any means but they are down from last year and years before that, but if you look at scores and opp strength it’s hard to not say a team averaging 50+ points and 600 offensive yards a game and only giving up 14 a game on D with playing there 2s 1.5 QTS a game to not be considered the #1 team

When you get into the top 5 there’s only one way you move up in any level of football... The team(s) in front of you lose. Nothing more. Nothing less. No secret formula to it. And none of it matters at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all fairness, Commerce probably doesnt deserve the #1 spot right now, but they are the defending champs and they are undefeated, so it is what it is at this point. They will likely lose a game or 2 this season, but their D is still improving under a new system and replacing the Harlon Hill QB and 3 other All Americans aint easy. That said, by the end of the season I expect them to be close to what they were last year. Bottom line: its WAY too early to put much stock in this stuff.

Blog Entries

Ferris beat 1-2 East Stroudsburg, 2-1 Findlay (whose two wins are against 1-2 Kentucky Wesleyan and 0-2 William Jewell), and 0-3 Northwood (who lost to Missouri S&T). Like Redwing alluded to, quality of opposition is a bit suspect. Credit Ferris for beating bad teams the way they should, but their stats are inflated, and stats are the crux of your argument. I have them in my top 5, but they haven’t earned #1 yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    When you get into the top 5 there’s only one way you move up in any level of football... The team(s) in front of you lose. Nothing more. Nothing less. No secret formula to it. And none of it matters at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Exactly.
    i think everyone can agree that it’s way to early but i’m just saying ferris is one of the few programs that has 11 wins the past for years so it’s not like this team just came out of nowhere, they may have not played good teams and they won’t this week either but i look at a lot of teams in the top 5 struggling to not great teams, i think out of every team in the top 10 and i think NW missouri has the best chance to go undefeated and i think ferris is 2nd

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

i think everyone can agree that it’s way to early but i’m just saying ferris is one of the few programs that has 11 wins the past for years so it’s not like this team just came out of nowhere, they may have not played good teams and they won’t this week either but i look at a lot of teams in the top 5 struggling to not great teams, i think out of every team in the top 10 and i think NW missouri has the best chance to go undefeated and i think ferris is 2nd
    I don't know what a voter bases their opinions on. (Frankly I think the majority just look at w/l and MAYBE the score.) However, you have offered your opinion. It may be based on a lot of data, or just that.. an opinion. So who knows what is the right order? Have you watched the other teams play or are you just basing it on stats? Do you know what key people were playing or not playing and why? Many factors can go into a team's performance and many of the factors can be difficult to discover- especially in D2. k
    Key players may be nicked up or ill. A coach may want to give another guy a shot. etc. One thing for sure.. the polls are indeed subjective and can lead to head scratching results. But who knows what a voter does or does not know about a team? Or for that matter, how "honest" is their vote?

Still, they seem to garner more than their share of comments, so indeed the interest is there.

So, keep it coming. The more the merrier.

It can't be understated that few people, and I mean very few, actually understand the entire landscape of D2 football around the country. You're kidding yourself if you think all the voters and coaches are fully aware of what's happening across different regions or conferences.

These games aren't televised. There's no media coverage (minimal depending on which team you root for). Everything we know about every team is either what somebody tells us or what we believe based on a result that we see.

There's nothing more to these polls than talking points. They mean nothing. And you can tell how some of the "name brand" schools are treated differently by the voters. One team might lose to the same unranked opponent by the same score, but the name that people recognize may fall 6 spots, while the other program might fall 18. There's no consistency or formula. And again, it means nothing. Think West Florida cared what they were ranked in the Top 25 poll last year? No chance.

Transitive property is not applicable to football, but this is beyond any property or logical thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast