Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Coach salary?

Contribute to D2

Default Head Coach salary?

Does anyone know have a clue what a typical salary for a head coach would be in the MIAA.

I heard a rumor today about a potential head coaching change, the asking salary was 500k. Is that figure excessive, right on the button, or a gross understatement.

2. Default Re: Head Coach salary?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerGlen View Post
    Does anyone know have a clue what a typical salary for a head coach would be in the MIAA.

I heard a rumor today about a potential head coaching change, the asking salary was 500k. Is that figure excessive, right on the button, or a gross understatement.
    No one is paying a D2 HC that much. Tim Beck makes between $125k and $130k. My understanding that is straight salary, he gets some added employee benefits that aren't totally commonplace, but aren't unheard of and are clearly a part of his job. Beck is probably not the highest paid D2 HC, but he's probably in the top 10% of highest paid HCs.

Higgins makes a similar amount at ESU. Brown used to be a little lower at FHSU, but I'd guess he's in that same range now.

The other income factor for these coaches is that they often host camps for HS players and teams on the campuses in the summers. The may also host coaching clinics. My understanding is that the coaches get to keep all or nearly all of the profit (profit, not revenue) off of those camps/clinics. So if they have a well established/attended camp/clinic industry, that would boost their income, even if it doesn't boost their nominal salary.

Default Re: Head Coach salary?

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    No one is paying a D2 HC that much. Tim Beck makes between $125k and $130k. My understanding that is straight salary, he gets some added employee benefits that aren't totally commonplace, but aren't unheard of and are clearly a part of his job. Beck is probably not the highest paid D2 HC, but he's probably in the top 10% of highest paid HCs.

Higgins makes a similar amount at ESU. Brown used to be a little lower at FHSU, but I'd guess he's in that same range now.

The other income factor for these coaches is that they often host camps for HS players and teams on the campuses in the summers. The may also host coaching clinics. My understanding is that the coaches get to keep all or nearly all of the profit (profit, not revenue) off of those camps/clinics. So if they have a well established/attended camp/clinic industry, that would boost their income, even if it doesn't boost their nominal salary.
    Thanks for that - I am glad I investigated first. Rather than a rumor, it appears to be just a piece of malicious gossip.

I guess it has a credible source, so...
    http://www.kansasopengov.org/kog/dat...y&search=brown

105 it is

6. Default Re: Head Coach salary?

Missouri Southern over the past three plus years is paying the highest head coach salary in the country.*

*based on dollars paid per victory

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    I guess it has a credible source, so...
    http://www.kansasopengov.org/kog/dat...y&search=brown

105 it is
    LOL - the rumor actually involved your team. Brown supposedly demanded a pay rise to 500k or he was going back to Pitt State.

Kansas public records

Chris Brown - $107,829.68
    Tim Beck - 130,954.05
    Garin Higgins - $116,335.87

Washburn is private but looks like Craig Schurig is $101k

9. Default Re: Head Coach salary?

LOL - the rumor actually involved your team. Brown supposedly demanded a pay rise to 500k or he was going back to Pitt State.
    Actual possibility: Brown asked for a 4-year, $500k contract or he was going back to Pitt State. I don't think it's likely, but actually reasonable compared to the rumor/gossip you heard.

PSU, ESU and FHSU (maybe WU? they're governed differently/strangely) were not allowed to offer multi-year contracts until about 4 years ago. Broyles served his entire tenure at Pitt State on annual one year contracts. Beck wanted a multi-year deal, so PSU asked the KS Board of Regents to change the policy, which they did, and Beck got a multi-year deal soon thereafter. It's not entirely impossible that Brown had continued to be on one year deals until recently, but my guess is that he parlayed last year's FHSU season, combined with the threat of a coaching opening at Pitt State, into a multi-year deal.

There are still some restrictions for football head coaches at PSU, ESU and FHSU, but I think they're allowed to go up to 4 years. It might be a 3 year cap, though.

A couple of points others will mention as well.

A multi-year deal could easily reach $500K.

Also, if you want to remove a coach but he still has years left on his contract, you'd have to come up with the funds agreed upon in the contract to remove him. Many times coaches are "let go" and still get paid unless they are hired at another institution. Again, this depends on the contract that was originally signed or extended.

Both of these situations might cause an institution to have to pay a significant amount for a coach...

Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    Kansas public records

Chris Brown - $107,829.68
    Tim Beck - 130,954.05
    Garin Higgins - $116,335.87

Washburn is private but looks like Craig Schurig is $101k
    Higgins doesn’t make that amount, he’s the lowest paid HC in the MIAA

Anyone know where you can find Johnson's at MSSU?

Quote Originally Posted by mtxe View Post
    Higgins doesn’t make that amount, he’s the lowest paid HC in the MIAA
    http://www.kansasopengov.org/kog/dat...ity&search=hig

Kansas State required reporting has him making more than some coaches but again this will have his camp money, and extra money from other things factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by MOSO27 View Post
    Anyone know where you can find Johnson's at MSSU?
    Johnson received an institutional raise of 2.25 percent in July 2016, giving him his current salary of $97,137.

15. Default Re: Head Coach salary?

Quote Originally Posted by TDs&Beer View Post
    http://www.kansasopengov.org/kog/dat...ity&search=hig

Kansas State required reporting has him making more than some coaches but again this will have his camp money, and extra money from other things factored in.
    This is very unlikely to have his camp money included. I can say with near 100% certainty that it doesn't include his camp money.

I believe Higgins was the lowest paid HC when he was hired. His success has got him several raises. http://www.kansasopengov.org/kog/dat...search=higgins

Coach Wright makes $145,000
    Charlie Flohr (Assist HC) $85,000

As others indicated, there are likely other components of their compensation package, including deferred compensation or life insurance as well as benefits coming from boosters or other groups.

17. Default Re: Head Coach salary?

NWMSU - Wright $145,000
    UCM - Svoboda $133,058
    PSU - Beck $130,945.05
    ESU - Higgins $116,335.87
    UNK - Lynn $111,925
    MWSU - Williamson $110,000
    FHSU - Brown $107,829.68
    UCO - Bobeck $106,500
    WU - Schurig $101,000
    MSSU - Johnson $97,138
    NSU - Robinson $75,760

No info on Stugart at LU, but according to this he made $103,111 at USF in 2013 and MWSU thought they had him but LU offered more. Would guess he is 4th on the list.

Some coaches have teaching/adminstrative duties, but I included everything in getting to my numbers.

Some other salaries for reference
    Mo St - Steckel $280,357
    SEMO - Matukewicz $134,960
    Truman St - Nesbitt $89,603
    Lincoln - Smith $87,000
    S&T - Fenwick $76,423

All I know is it would suck to have your salary public info. uggh...
    Cool Story Bro

Tell that to the Morning Sun in Pittsburg... They published all the salaries of the public employees in the county, starting with teachers. All the others happened so much later, people didn't care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsig50 View Post
    All I know is it would suck to have your salary public info. uggh...
    Agreed it would suck. The Missouri Sunshine Law requires full disclosure for all employees of the state. I wont put the link here, but there is actually a way to see the individual's most recent pay check and year to date earnings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast