Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

Default BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

After the most recent loss to Adams State below are the top 10 reasons Coach Reiners and the entire staff should be fired the moment they get off the bus in Spearfish. I'm a long time fan and have watched this program for over 10 yrs and witnessed the entire Reiners era. This is very long and may be split into multiple threads, sorry not sorry, it needs to be said.

1. This is likely to be the 2nd zero win season in the last 4 years. In the fluke 7 win season teams were looking past BH after coming off an 0-11 season and BH players (not coaches) had a lot of heart that year and the D stood on their heads in 4 or 5 of those games to hold off the opponent late in the game and win. Great season, it was fun to watch. But how Rieners got a new contract after going 0-11, following 3 disappointing 4,3,3 win seasons before that with a top 3 QB is beyond me.

2. After watching Reiners lose his mind and yell at the players after the disappointing loss to ASU this past Sat. This is a very low moment in his tenure as coach, possibly the lowest. As a “Leader” you should always take 100% of the blame for losses like this. It is your fault the kids were not prepared to play well and play calling and schemes were horrible and wildly unsuccessful. The fact is, BHSU was out coached, out hustled, and dominated by an inferior team talent wise is ON THE COACHES 100%. As a “Leader” you never blame the players for losing the game and NOT following him because he knows how to win games. Bahahaha, Reiners hasn’t had a winning season other than the fluke 7-4 year coming off an 0-11 year and previous 3 win seasons.

3. They aren't coaching to the strength of kids they have on the roster, rather they are forcing them to play to their scheme. This is where Ego’s get in the way of success. Successful coaching isn’t about forcing the scheme you think you should run onto a team, it’s about figuring out what scheme will work with the talent you have to be successful.

4. Defensively this year is a total mystery and major let down. I watched coach Kerr take the worst D in the RMAC and make it special a few years back. It looked like he developed a scheme that fit the kids he had to work with, now I think he got lucky and other teams didn’t expect anything from BHSU after and 0-11 season. This year, and to be honest last year too, he's stubbornly sticking with a 3 man front when he simply doesn't have the personnel to do it. If they want to win games they either abandon the 3 man front for a 4/5 man look or go sign some kids mid season who can fit his scheme. The run D is atrocious and embarrassing. The Backers are not able to flow since the D line is usually pushed back 3 to 4 yards. I don't think the middle backers can cover sideline to sideline either. So change the front to stop giving up 3 to 4 yards of push, play a 4 man front and blitz on nearly every play.

5. Offensively they have also regressed, I think. They have a 4 yr starting QB who still cannot throw a catchable ball 90+% of the time. Completions usually come with some acrobatic attempt of a WR to come back to the ball, stop and catch something behind him or simply make a circus catch. There have been good throws too, but few and far between. Almost every pass is into the dirt and leaves hte WR no possible way to gain yards after the catch. All of this said, it’s on the OC

6. The OC has zero imagination when it comes to scheming offense and play calling during a game. I swear they run the inside zone 100 times a game. And now this year since the O-Line is weak they are throwing to the flats the other 100 times in a game. What amazes me is after 50 pass plays to the flats don’t you try at least once per half to go over the top on a FAKE throw to the flats? Again, zero imagination, zero effort to scheme based on what he has for talent.

7. Reiners best year before the Fluke 7-4 season was 5-6. This was with what many consider a top 3 in RMAC QB in Ward Anderson. People kept saying it’s because BH doesn’t have the same scholarship money as the other schools, etc. Well perhaps there is some truth to that, but looking back at it. I think Coach Reiners doesn’t know how to coach football and develop players and coaches and a scheme to win games. With Fulton as OC things were a bit vanilla and conservative, but I think he tried to make plays that worked to his talent.

8. The O-line is worse this year than previous years and every recruiting class is smaller than the previous. If this program wants to be successful, it needs to realize that out of 35-40 kids they sign each year, 60% of those need to be big kids that play the line. Out of that maybe, just maybe, they can develop 5 O-lineman and 4 D lineman and have some depth. Bringing in JuCo kids is not an answer to success, it’s a band aid for poor recruiting. Isn’t the OC a former D1 Lineman? Why can’t he coach the Line?

9. The fact that Reiners did not fire the OC after going 0-11 with a Freshman QB who was by far the worst QB in the RMAC that year with 27 Int. All the time they had a 3rd year and 2nd year QB who maybe weren't as flashy or dynamic as Ryan could be, but could have maybe won some games. Then Reiners and Eastburn followed that 0-11 season up with a season where the O-line was decent and Paris had an amazing year. Thank goodness as inside zone was called 100+ time per game.

10. I don’t want to go here, but I am. Throwing to “The Coaches kid" in nearly every key down/situation and only being successful like 5% of the time so far. I’m not knocking Dillon here, but seriously, he’s outmatched by pretty much every CB in the league. And when you have a large body possession receiver like Swiftwater why not give him those opportunities? Or maybe try throwing to a TE a few times a game like every other good team in the RMAC does. Perhaps throwing to the least potential for success is the OC trying to be “creative”. It should be an NCAA rule to NOT allow kids to play for their Parents that’s so little league its sick.
    Last edited by Jackets-Fan; 09-17-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Fix typo's in Reiners name

2. Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by Jackets-Fan View Post
    After the most recent loss to Adams State below are the top 10 reasons Coach Rieners and the entire staff should be fired the moment they get off the bus in Spearfish. I'm a long time fan and have watched this program for over 10 yrs and witnessed the entire Rieners era. This is very long and may be split into multiple threads, sorry not sorry, it needs to be said.

1. This is likely to be the 2nd zero win season in the last 4 years. In the fluke 7 win season teams were looking past BH after coming off an 0-11 season and BH players (not coaches) had a lot of heart that year and the D stood on their heads in 4 or 5 of those games to hold off the opponent late in the game and win. Great season, it was fun to watch. But how Rieners got a new contract after going 0-11, following 3 disappointing 4,3,3 win seasons before that with a top 3 QB is beyond me.

2. After watching Reiners lose his mind and yell at the players after the disappointing loss to ASU this past Sat. This is a very low moment in his tenure as coach, possibly the lowest. As a “Leader” you should always take 100% of the blame for losses like this. It is your fault the kids were not prepared to play well and play calling and schemes were horrible and wildly unsuccessful. The fact is, BHSU was out coached, out hustled, and dominated by an inferior team talent wise is ON THE COACHES 100%. As a “Leader” you never blame the players for losing the game and NOT following him because he knows how to win games. Bahahaha, Reiners hasn’t had a winning season other than the fluke 7-4 year coming off an 0-11 year and previous 3 win seasons.

3. They aren't coaching to the strength of kids they have on the roster, rather they are forcing them to play to their scheme. This is where Ego’s get in the way of success. Successful coaching isn’t about forcing the scheme you think you should run onto a team, it’s about figuring out what scheme will work with the talent you have to be successful.

4. Defensively this year is a total mystery and major let down. I watched coach Kerr take the worst D in the RMAC and make it special a few years back. It looked like he developed a scheme that fit the kids he had to work with, now I think he got lucky and other teams didn’t expect anything from BHSU after and 0-11 season. This year, and to be honest last year too, he's stubbornly sticking with a 3 man front when he simply doesn't have the personnel to do it. If they want to win games they either abandon the 3 man front for a 4/5 man look or go sign some kids mid season who can fit his scheme. The run D is atrocious and embarrassing. The Backers are not able to flow since the D line is usually pushed back 3 to 4 yards. I don't think the middle backers can cover sideline to sideline either. So change the front to stop giving up 3 to 4 yards of push, play a 4 man front and blitz on nearly every play.

5. Offensively they have also regressed, I think. They have a 4 yr starting QB who still cannot throw a catchable ball 90+% of the time. Completions usually come with some acrobatic attempt of a WR to come back to the ball, stop and catch something behind him or simply make a circus catch. There have been good throws too, but few and far between. Almost every pass is into the dirt and leaves hte WR no possible way to gain yards after the catch. All of this said, it’s on the OC

6. The OC has zero imagination when it comes to scheming offense and play calling during a game. I swear they run the inside zone 100 times a game. And now this year since the O-Line is weak they are throwing to the flats the other 100 times in a game. What amazes me is after 50 pass plays to the flats don’t you try at least once per half to go over the top on a FAKE throw to the flats? Again, zero imagination, zero effort to scheme based on what he has for talent.

7. Reiners best year before the Fluke 7-4 season was 5-6. This was with what many consider a top 3 in RMAC QB in Ward Anderson. People kept saying it’s because BH doesn’t have the same scholarship money as the other schools, etc. Well perhaps there is some truth to that, but looking back at it. I think Coach Reiners doesn’t know how to coach football and develop players and coaches and a scheme to win games. With Fulton as OC things were a bit vanilla and conservative, but I think he tried to make plays that worked to his talent.

8. The O-line is worse this year than previous years and every recruiting class is smaller than the previous. If this program wants to be successful, it needs to realize that out of 35-40 kids they sign each year, 60% of those need to be big kids that play the line. Out of that maybe, just maybe, they can develop 5 O-lineman and 4 D lineman and have some depth. Bringing in JuCo kids is not an answer to success, it’s a band aid for poor recruiting. Isn’t the OC a former D1 Lineman? Why can’t he coach the Line?

9. The fact that Reiners did not fire the OC after going 0-11 with a Freshman QB who was by far the worst QB in the RMAC that year with 27 Int. All the time they had a 3rd year and 2nd year QB who maybe weren't as flashy or dynamic as Ryan could be, but could have maybe won some games. Then Reiners and Eastburn followed that 0-11 season up with a season where the O-line was decent and Paris had an amazing year. Thank goodness as inside zone was called 100+ time per game.

10. I don’t want to go here, but I am. Throwing to “The Coaches kid" in nearly every key down/situation and only being successful like 5% of the time so far. I’m not knocking Dillon here, but seriously, he’s outmatched by pretty much every CB in the league. And when you have a large body possession receiver like Swiftwater why not give him those opportunities? Or maybe try throwing to a TE a few times a game like every other good team in the RMAC does. Perhaps throwing to the least potential for success is the OC trying to be “creative”. It should be an NCAA rule to NOT allow kids to play for their Parents that’s so little league its sick.
    You didn’t have to start a new thread... There was already a thread started for these types of concerns... Don’t worry they’ll beat SD tech

3. Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

I have to admit that I did not know half of these issues with BH and I hope they can find some answers. This is an informative post and #5 and number #6 can also be applied to CSU Pueblo

Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    I have to admit that I did not know half of these issues with BH and I hope they can find some answers. This is an informative post and #5 and number #6 can also be applied to CSU Pueblo
    Except Pueblo can't recruit QBs so they've never had a 4 year starter. Perhaps not even a 3 year starter actually.

5. Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Except Pueblo can't recruit QBs so they've never had a 4 year starter. Perhaps not even a 3 year starter actually.
    True statement and to think the head coach was a college QB.

Hoping our SD brethren to the west can get it figured it out, didn't realize it had been that bad in the hills. Know a few former jacket players, good dudes. Interested in what their thoughts are on the current staff. Would be a lot of fun for BH and Mines (sorry Jackets) to become playoff teams and meet up with the Coo someday. The old SDIC. Heck if the NSIC ever allowed non-con games these could be fun games and road trips as well.

Pueblo can recruit JuCo Quarterbacks. Bonner and Dausin both came to CSUP proven college football players.

Quote Originally Posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post
    Pueblo can recruit JuCo Quarterbacks. Bonner and Dausin both came to CSUP proven college football players.
    As did Edwards. I'm talking recruiting out of high school, which gives guys more than 2 years to be in the program. Imagine Bonner having had a RS year, then a year to backup Dausin, and then 3 years to start in the same program and culture.

9. Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

As did Edwards. I'm talking recruiting out of high school, which gives guys more than 2 years to be in the program. Imagine Bonner having had a RS year, then a year to backup Dausin, and then 3 years to start in the same program and culture.
    Both Lamphere and Christian were recruited out of high school. So was AJ Thompson, but he never really developed passing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    Both Lamphere and Christian were recruited out of high school. So was AJ Thompson, but he never really developed passing skills.
    They were and Lamphere looked good in panic duty vs Fort Lewis but he's not seen meaningful game time. Can't really state that he's a successful QB recruit yet.

Whew. 5&6 belong to some teams in the CIAA too. I feel your pain!

Thank you for saying what everyone in Spearfish is thinking!!! This coaching staff is awful!! Reiners is completely out of his depth as a Head Coach in D2. He is a poor recruiter and a proven loser. He and his entire staff need to go. We also need to call out the University Administration. They need to get out of their NAIA mindset and step up to the demands and standards of NCAA D2 Football. With the right infrastructure BHSU could be a great program with good support. Instead it is almost an afterthought to the local community....

As far as scholarships go. In the DAC, BHSU was second to last in scholarships and was a top team for years under John Scott. BHSU was terrible before and has regressed since. Scott was a great coach, not every guys style but knew how to coach a team with lots going against them. Now is different, they have almost tripled the scholarships since then and made immense improvements to improve the schools image to D-2. The community of spearfish has never been very friendly to football and the high school team is absolutely horrible every year. Had one state team in the early 2000s and many of those guys played on the Scott teams.

Reiners has not really embraced the small amount of history of success that BHSU has had. When I go to games I never see Scott era guys at games. As one myself this is disappointing. I feel like the only reason they pretend to care is the hope of my wallet opening up. (too bad there's nothing in there) HA! With a guy like Jay Long I felt like he truly cared about past players that is probably a culture they have that he brought up to BHSU not sure why Reiners didn't bring the same thing.

I've heard Reiners also refer to Chadron as the 'team down south" trying to create some sort of rivalry there. This isn't Michigan-Ohio State, gotta prove it on the field. I used to fall into that thinking that BHSU can compete with Chadron. Apparently not. Jay Long is a good guy, and they have not shown him any respect for him leaving for an obviously better job where he used to play. I don't blame him at all and hate how they tried to used that as motivation back when Reiners took over.

I laugh at the idea of hearing Reiners yelling at his players. Wish I could have seen it.

I have realistic expectations for BHSU, but I agree. They need to win some games, SD Tech will be a big one. With Sullivan at QB for the Hardrockers I wonder if it might be a bloodbath. If so I think changes might need to be made.

What's the mood around spearfish after this weekend?

15. Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by CSCPRIDE View Post
    What's the mood around spearfish after this weekend?
    Don’t know about the mood, but it seems like the kids are still playing hard.... Let’s see if Coach Reiners can get that Homestake trophy back in his office by Sunday morning.

Super bowl this weekend. Back when Scott got the job in the early 2000s the AD told him win the Tech game and you can coach here as long as you want. That still seems to be the standard. My gut says Sullivan plays well and beats us. Young QB got reps last week due and is likely the future. I didn't make the game though.

SD Mines looks like what BH wants go be. Creative offense with a mobile QB to make things difficult on more athletic defenses. I like the SD Mines offense, really takes advantage of what the defense gives, doesn't try to do things their players aren't able to.

I'm pulling for BH and Coach Reiner's... I know he is on the hot seat but he's a good dude and I'd like to see him win that game at least.

I agree he is a good guy. Hope that they get a win. Can't stand those techies!

20. Default Re: BHSU - top 10 reason Reiners and the entire staff should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by BHer View Post
    I agree he is a good guy. Hope that they get a win. Can't stand those techies!
    The Trylams are up 28 to 7. BHSU has a literal hill to climb.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast