Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UMCrookston

Contribute to D2

Default UMCrookston

We've been thru this many times but something needs to be done. UMC should go D3 and join fellow UMM.

Default Re: UMCrookston

Quote Originally Posted by Fan1 View Post
    We've been thru this many times but something needs to be done. UMC should go D3 and join fellow UMM.
    The 2 schools are less than 3 hours apart; they could start a nice Rivalry!

Agree, if there is a DIII conference or NAIA that would take them. I'm sure there are many reasons why they are not very competitive year after year in the NSIC. Has to be a discouraging situation there.

Providing an enjoyable experience for your student athletes should be a priority for a higher education institution, which does not seem to be a so at UMC. Crookston has made no attempt to upgrade facilities and is a coaching carousal. Surely moving to D3 would fit their athletic budget better and provide a competitive environment for their student athletes.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

The UMAC has shown no interest in inviting them according to a source close to the situation. The NAIA North Star would snatch them up in a heartbeat. UMC themselves don't seem to be interested in moving to D3 or NAIA.

It was a great move for Morris. They used to be a power in the NIC but when the administration decided to downgrade athletics it became downright embarrassing.

Tough one. I don't have any particular allegiance to Crookston, but sympathize with the players and their plight. They're the ones who suffer the most.

Their losing streak with the football team is now at 26 which I believe is now the longest losing streak in D2 (the Canadian team beat a D3 team to end their 33 game losing streak week 1 this year). I don’t see them winning a game anytime soon.

Yes this is taking a jab at them but their football program is so bad that I ultimately think it caused the Mavericks to not get the #1 seed in SR4 (along with Mary) last year.

I just don’t get why UMC isn’t motivated to improve their teams and upgrade facilities. I bet it’s hard being a fan and a student athlete up there when there’s no support for you. Moving down to D3 is the best route at this point if they have no desire to improve the programs. The miac would never take them but I’m sure the umac would take them if the opportunity arises. They would be one of the better teams in that conference. With the conference going up to 36 scholarships, I bet a move could come sooner than later because it would put UMC at a further disadvantage imo..

If there’re any Crookston supporters that read these threads I apologize if my comments seem offensive, I feel bad for you guys. But man Crookston is a place I would never go unless I was offered a full ride.

Has there ever been any Crookston posters on here? Haven’t seen any since I joined..

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    The UMAC has shown no interest in inviting them according to a source close to the situation. The NAIA North Star would snatch them up in a heartbeat. UMC themselves don't seem to be interested in moving to D3 or NAIA.

It was a great move for Morris. They used to be a power in the NIC but when the administration decided to downgrade athletics it became downright embarrassing.
    Why did U Morris move down to D3 again?

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    I could be wrong, but when Morris first moved to Division II, I don't think they offered any scholarships at all. Then for a brief time, did offer funding, but found it difficult to maintain and that's primarily the reason they dropped back to Division III.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Their losing streak with the football team is now at 26 which I believe is now the longest losing streak in D2 (the Canadian team beat a D3 team to end their 33 game losing streak week 1 this year). I don’t see them winning a game anytime soon.

Has there ever been any Crookston posters on here? Haven’t seen any since I joined..
    There was one or two maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Have not seen any since then that I can recall. You're right; has to be very difficult to be a student athlete in that situation.
    About the only sport I can recall UMC being fairly competitive in is women's BB. And last year, their baseball team was fairly decent.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post

If Crookston doesn't want to go NAIA or D3 that's their prerogative, albeit not a wise one. What I also don't understand is why the UMAC wouldn't want them? Any word as to why Laker? It's not like the conference is privates only like the MIAC or GPAC. You would think a 9-team conference would love a 10th member and secure even more stability for themselves.

If Crookston left, would the NSIC settle for a 15-team conference? The numbers don't jive.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    If Crookston left, would the NSIC settle for a 15-team conference? The numbers don't jive.
    You're forgetting about Kelby's dream to take Augustana D1...

Quote Originally Posted by cougar1997 View Post
    You're forgetting about Kelby's dream to take Augustana D1...
    It's Kelby's dream, Augie may go if Kelby throws a lot of cash Augie's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    If Crookston doesn't want to go NAIA or D3 that's their prerogative, albeit not a wise one. What I also don't understand is why the UMAC wouldn't want them? Any word as to why Laker? It's not like the conference is privates only like the MIAC or GPAC. You would think a 9-team conference would love a 10th member and secure even more stability for themselves.
    From what I was told during halftime of a UMAC game they don't have a "travel partner". In a conference that has several associate members for football you would think that they would take anyone who sponsors the sport.

A couple of years ago Mankato Bethany talked about adding football (they have men's soccer). But yesterday before the Mav game my Bethany source said that they are moving their baseball off campus to Franklin Rogers Park, where the Mankato Moondogs play and where they hold the regional if MSU hosts. So they will be spending money redoing their soccer field and evidently adding a track or at least a place to practice track. I was hoping that they would have added football but it doesn't sound likely now.

As sad as it sounds, part of me thinks it's more likely that UMC would fold the athletic department before they would move down to D3/NAIA.

Part of me sympathizes with them. It's important to remember they've only been a 4-year school for 25 years. There's no donor base there, and no population base to draw from. So very little money going into the department. That's why facilities aren't upgraded. I don't even know how competitive they'd be in a move down.

Yes this is taking a jab at them but their football program is so bad that I ultimately think it caused the Mavericks to not get the #1 seed in SR4 (along with Mary) last year.

I just don’t get why UMC isn’t motivated to improve their teams and upgrade facilities. I bet it’s hard being a fan and a student athlete up there when there’s no support for you. Moving down to D3 is the best route at this point if they have no desire to improve the programs. The miac would never take them but I’m sure the umac would take them if the opportunity arises. They would be one of the better teams in that conference. With the conference going up to 36 scholarships, I bet a move could come sooner than later because it would put UMC at a further disadvantage imo..

If there’re any Crookston supporters that read these threads I apologize if my comments seem offensive, I feel bad for you guys. But man Crookston is a place I would never go unless I was offered a full ride.

Nicely stated!!

Couple interesting press releases to look back on from 2006 and 2007:

Findings from athletic review committee: https://www.crk.umn.edu/news/athleti...hletic-program
    Announcement of staying in Division II: https://www.crk.umn.edu/news/u-m-cro...nd-member-nsic

They started football in 1961. Morris was 61-12-3 from 1975–1981 under head coaches Al Molde and Dick Smith. Then their administration deemphasized sports. They then went 16-114 from 1990-2002. They went D3 in 2003.

Sounds like the number Crookston is heading towards... has Crookston ever been relevant in football since they joined D2 or ever?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast