Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018-2018 Minnesota State Thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: 2018-2018 Minnesota State Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Eckerd is no slouch though - 3rd round of NCAA's last year....assume they have some solid returners and newcomers. At least it wasn't a loss to Waldorf or something like that!
    Agree. And without Kirksey, a talented player, I suspected their chances of winning there last night were not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    Eckerd is no slouch though - 3rd round of NCAA's last year....assume they have some solid returners and newcomers. At least it wasn't a loss to Waldorf or something like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    Agree. And without Kirksey, a talented player, I suspected their chances of winning there last night were not good.
    Eckerd was a decent team. They had a couple of nice players for sure. Neither team shot the ball well at all. Defense was alright from both sides, but overall, an ugly game from both team for the most part. I think both teams (and certainly coaches) were frustrated with the officiating. I thought they equally less-than-good for both sides and had no impact on the result. Mavs shot under 40% overall and under 30% for three. Young guys looked young in this game as well. Agree, certainly missed Kirksey in this game for sure.

The Eckerd campus is beautiful though, maybe they were a bit too relaxed on the trip :)

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Saturday's game times for this Saturday against Concordia at now 3:30 for the women and 5:30 for the men.

Football game is at noon.

Mavs got the OT win yesterday, but Kevin Krieger went down with an injury and didn't return. The USF radio guy made it sound like he didn't want to put any weight on his knee. Hopefully it's a sprain and he can be back this year...

Yes, hopefully Krieger's injury will allow him to return to action within a few weeks. Big loss without him even for that long, and hopefully won't keep him out the rest of this season. I'm impressed by the new players from what I have observed to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    Yes, hopefully Krieger's injury will allow him to return to action within a few weeks. Big loss without him even for that long, and hopefully won't keep him out the rest of this season. I'm impressed by the new players from what I have observed to this point.
    Per Courrier it's a strained hammy:

https://twitter.com/ChadCourrier/sta...003478016?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Per Courrier it's a strained hammy:

https://twitter.com/ChadCourrier/sta...003478016?s=19
    You have to think they'll be cautious. MSU has 3 games coming up. Winona, UIU, and North Central U in a D-III matchup. After that, they have 11 days before their next league game.

Thought that I better give this a bump. It had almost disappeared.

Let's give the MSU basketball cheerleaders a little love.

Story about Grant Williams, Tennessee star who is the son of former Mav basketball great Gil Williams, who lived on my floor in Gage dorm.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...naissance-man/

I wish that Carlos Anderson would simply just play defense. He is way above average on that end when he wants to be, but his offensive game is simply offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I wish that Carlos Anderson would simply just play
    Fixed it for you. Too many times, he pulls stunts that get him in trouble- or potential trouble. Too much talk, too many shoves- and it will eventually cost him.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Fixed it for you. Too many times, he pulls stunts that get him in trouble- or potential trouble. Too much talk, too many shoves- and it will eventually cost him.
    Can't disagree. Discipline isn't his friend.

When he does play disciplined, which is extremely infrequent, he is very talented. When Carlos is Carlos, he is frustratingly ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Can't disagree. Discipline isn't his friend.

When he does play disciplined, which is extremely infrequent, he is very talented. When Carlos is Carlos, he is frustratingly ineffective.
    He reminds me of the guy you play in pickup games. You find that you'd rather be on the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    He reminds me of the guy you play in pickup games. You find that you'd rather be on the other team.
    Indeed. I do suspect he'll get it figured out around conference tournament time. Whether that is way too late to matter is yet to be determined.

If you haven't read Reusse's column yet, this is interesting- talks about Grant Williams of Tennessee's dad who played at MSU, Gil Williams.

http://www.startribune.com/tennessee...esh/504927642/

MSU signs deal with OFC & Sanford.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2019/2...h-ofc-sports-m

Krieger named to All-Academic team.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2019/2...ct-honors.aspx

Nice honor for KK. Glad he has another year of eligibility after this one.

Mav women defeat UIU 86-67. Muth went down in the first half with an apparent knee injury, and Drost did not play at all tonight.
    Fett led the offense with 20 points. Hopefully she can continue to improve and be a real force in her remaining three years of eligibility.

**Next season talk alert**
    I'd be more than ok if Juwan McCloud decided not to return next season. He is allergic to defense. Carlos Anderson has coasted through most of this season, seems disinterested most games. He won't be missed much. Kirksey took another step forward this year and should be a top player in the league next year. Same with Krieger, at least a top scorer. I've really liked what I've seen from Quincy Anderson, a little less impressed by Tre Baumgardner. He gets a bit too out of control at times. Nixon is an animal on defense but has yet to develop anything resembling an offensive game. Very interested to see what the incoming FR from Illinois can do, he appears extremely athletic with some offensive game already. Hoping transfers are minimal and only to fill a gap, maybe one that can come in and score or run the point (or both). Next year should be a much better season for the Mavs. But, we'll find out how it really plays out.

Still at least one more game left to play this season, but I don't think any Mav fan sees this team going anywhere, even if they sneak into the regional.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast