Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commerce @ENMU

Contribute to D2

Default Commerce @ENMU

Thoughts? Is Eastern really going to be this bad all year, will commerce finally put together a dominating performance we keep waiting to see?

Are both teams just suffering through some growing pains replacing key players?

Defensively the Hounds are not doing well, i wonder if some of that is not having quite the right personell for Waltons schemes.

In 2006 when Walton was DC the hounds went 3-7 but the defense was solid, they only gave up more than 21 points 3 times that season. This was with an offense that struggled mightily with Michael bennet at the helm, great athlete and runner but he could not pass. So i dont think its scheme its execution.

Offensively Eastern has stumbled replacing Cass. But thet also dont have a big "go to" reciever either, last year it wasnt that bad but this year without Cass it been a glaring problem. 4 different deep passes by Strand were knocked out of the receivers hands this last sat because we had 0 height advantage on their corners. Strand throws a very accurate ball, and can get it down field on the move. There is a kid from Amarillo high on the squad he played qb for them but Lee has converted him to WR, he blocks well and he is 6'4 and can jump. I hope they work him in some more cause his size can be a big difference maker.

I might have to catch this one on the radio as my sons have their first home games this sat. But if we get out soon enough i look forward to seeing the Champs in person.

Default Re: Commerce @ENMU

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Thoughts? Is Eastern really going to be this bad all year, will commerce finally put together a dominating performance we keep waiting to see?

Defensively the Hounds are not doing well, i wonder if some of that is not having quite the right personell for Waltons schemes.

In 2006 when Walton was DC the hounds went 3-7 but the defense was solid, they only gave up more than 21 points 3 times that season. This was with an offense that struggled mightily with Michael bennet at the helm, great athlete and runner but he could not pass. So i dont think its scheme its execution.

Offensively Eastern has stumbled replacing Cass. But thet also dont have a big "go to" reciever either, last year it wasnt that bad but this year without Cass it been a glaring problem. 4 different deep passes by Strand were knocked out of the receivers hands this last sat because we had 0 height advantage on their corners. Strand throws a very accurate ball, and can get it down field on the move. There is a kid from Amarillo high on the squad he played qb for them but Lee has converted him to WR, he blocks well and he is 6'4 and can jump. I hope they work him in some more cause his size can be a big difference maker.

I might have to catch this one on the radio as my sons have their first home games this sat. But if we get out soon enough i look forward to seeing the Champs in person.
    With all due respect, I disagree with WR height being the key factor. The key factor in my opinion is superior athleticism & agility. Give me a 5'9 -5'11 receiver with a 40+" vertical, quickness, and solid hands over a 6'4 "big target"....ANY DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    With all due respect, I disagree with WR height being the key factor. The key factor in my opinion is superior athleticism & agility. Give me a 5'9 -5'11 receiver with a 40+" vertical, quickness, and solid hands over a 6'4 "big target"....ANY DAY!!!
    Luckily we have one (maybe two) that fits both of those descriptions!

As long as they catch the ball i dont care, but those taller guys can reach further.

Now that we are a bit removed from the first 2 games and Ive been able to look closer, I think Commerce is going to be good eventually. I just hope they put it together before we lose 2 or 3 games. We lost the Harlon Hill QB and maybe the best Offensive Lineman we ever had to graduation on offense, plus 2 big play receivers. Despite that they have managed to get it done. The 2nd half vs Kingsville and the first half against Jewell were both good. We put up something like 54 points in those 4 quarters. Id still like to see Wheeler throw downfield more, if for nothing else but to get the opponents off the line and open up some running lanes. Our longest completed pass this season was by RB Carandal Hale. If we keep checking down to safety valve receivers its going to make it more difficult in the long run. That said, Wheeler did complete 80% of his passes last week, albeit for about a 7 yd average. We NEED to find a way to stretch that, especially with Pueblo and MSU coming up. 7 YPC wont get it done.

Defense has been ok and hasnt killed us yet. Inability to keep contain on the QB has been whats hurt us the most the last 2 games. Detmer for KVille was consistently able to extend plays and complete passes downfield, and the QB from Jewell did the same and was able to do a lot of damage running the ball. I think the new D scheme has something to do with that, but our new DC has a history of putting together excellent defensive schemes - some of the best defenses in the country, in fact. Im guessing there is a learning curve involved for a lot of the players and it will eventually get ironed out, but again, I hope that happens before we lose 2 or 3 games. We do have a bona fide wrecking machine on D in Michael Onouhe, and if we can get everyone else on the same page and cut him loose look out. I think it will happen soon, I hope it will happen soon.

Im a bit worried about this being a trap game at Pueblo though. That team is probably better than they have been playing, are at home, and are literally playing for their season at this point . I expect them to be fired up, pissed off, and playing with nothing to lose. Dangerous.

I should get to Portales about 5:30 or 6. I'll be the long haired dude with the yellow shirt with a big Lion head logo on the front and the number 126 on the back. Give a shout if you see me and want to say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Now that we are a bit removed from the first 2 games and Ive been able to look closer, I think Commerce is going to be good eventually. I just hope they put it together before we lose 2 or 3 games. We lost the Harlon Hill QB and maybe the best Offensive Lineman we ever had to graduation on offense, plus 2 big play receivers. Despite that they have managed to get it done. The 2nd half vs Kingsville and the first half against Jewell were both good. We put up something like 54 points in those 4 quarters. Id still like to see Wheeler throw downfield more, if for nothing else but to get the opponents off the line and open up some running lanes. Our longest completed pass this season was by RB Carandal Hale. If we keep checking down to safety valve receivers its going to make it more difficult in the long run. That said, Wheeler did complete 80% of his passes last week, albeit for about a 7 yd average. We NEED to find a way to stretch that, especially with Pueblo and MSU coming up. 7 YPC wont get it done.

Defense has been ok and hasnt killed us yet. Inability to keep contain on the QB has been whats hurt us the most the last 2 games. Detmer for KVille was consistently able to extend plays and complete passes downfield, and the QB from Jewell did the same and was able to do a lot of damage running the ball. I think the new D scheme has something to do with that, but our new DC has a history of putting together excellent defensive schemes - some of the best defenses in the country, in fact. Im guessing there is a learning curve involved for a lot of the players and it will eventually get ironed out, but again, I hope that happens before we lose 2 or 3 games. We do have a bona fide wrecking machine on D in Michael Onouhe, and if we can get everyone else on the same page and cut him loose look out. I think it will happen soon, I hope it will happen soon.

Im a bit worried about this being a trap game at Pueblo though. That team is probably better than they have been playing, are at home, and are literally playing for their season at this point . I expect them to be fired up, pissed off, and playing with nothing to lose. Dangerous.

I should get to Portales about 5:30 or 6. I'll be the long haired dude with the yellow shirt with a big Lion head logo on the front and the number 126 on the back. Give a shout if you see me and want to say hi.
    Hey Jake come say hi if you get a chance, I don't think we've met yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    So do I just knock on the door or what? lol. Ive got an Admin Pass for LSC games, but I think that just gets me in the door, I havent pressed it for all access yet - and I always buy a ticket and a shirt at away games anyway, just to support the programs.
    Last edited by JakeTAMUC; 09-13-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    Don't do it Jake

It's a NAZI death camp trick.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    Don't do it Jake

Fauck, I never even considered that. I have a dog too. Hopefully they dont find me.

As long as they catch the ball i dont care, but those taller guys can reach further.

This one had a 42" vertical....got higher than 6'4 V'Keon Lacey....
    Caught a few against the Doggies too. ;)

So could 5'11 guys.

He was something to see my man!

But he was a special receiever, not alot like him!

This one had a 42" vertical....got higher than 6'4 V'Keon Lacey....
    Caught a few against the Doggies too. ;)
    He was alright, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    Don't do it Jake

You survived a lunch with me, sir. You should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    So do I just knock on the door or what? lol. Ive got an Admin Pass for LSC games, but I think that just gets me in the door, I havent pressed it for all access yet - and I always buy a ticket and a shirt at away games anyway, just to support the programs.
    If I remember right, at the new ENMU stadium (which i like btw) you can come up close to the window, just yell and ill come say hi

He was something to see my man!

But he was a special receiever, not alot like him!
    yes he was

If the Lions take care of ENMU and CSU Pueblo does the same with Colorado School of the Mines that will set up a HUGE in Region showdown the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    He was alright, I guess
    See, that's what I used to tell him!! He was mediocre at BEST.

I think Daks & family are coming to San Angelo for Homecoming game.

I think Daks & family are coming to San Angelo for Homecoming game.
    Awesome! I know he will be covered up with meeting people, but we would love to have them come by the tailgate!

that was your job!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast