Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: 9/11

  1. #1

    Default 9/11

    Here is a link to a great article I read once a year.

    https://www.si.com/vault/2001/09/24/...four-of-a-kind

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,658
    Rep Power
    24070

    Default Re: 9/11

    I remember every part of that day. I was student teaching at Indiana Junior High with Dr. Miller. Absolutely crazy!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Houston, PA
    Posts
    40
    Blog Entries
    17
    Rep Power
    333

    Default Re: 9/11

    Looks like ESPN is doing a new 9/11 show tonight about how sports helped America get back to "normal" after 9/11.


    Here is a clip from the show about Army Navy, starting QB for Navy in 2001 was a western PA kid from Chartiers-Houston Ed Malinowski.
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24638648
    @zsimpson_d2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,658
    Rep Power
    24070

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Simpson View Post
    Looks like ESPN is doing a new 9/11 show tonight about how sports helped America get back to "normal" after 9/11.


    Here is a clip from the show about Army Navy, starting QB for Navy in 2001 was a western PA kid from Chartiers-Houston Ed Malinowski.
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24638648
    ESPN looking to make more $$$. No thanks!

  5. Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    I remember every part of that day. I was student teaching at Indiana Junior High with Dr. Miller. Absolutely crazy!
    I was at my first job out of college, selling insurance. Bad morning to be cold calling people. We had no tv in the office, we were finding out what was happening from irate people screaming at us for making them come to the phone while all that was going on. Our boss was a jerk about it, made us keep making calls most of the morning. He didn’t know the full scope of what was happening, but still, I quit a few weeks later.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 9/11

    There is a piece of the World Trade Center in the Oak Grove near Sutton Hall. I'd guess most don't know what it is but there is a plaque beside it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,523
    Rep Power
    70284

    Default Re: 9/11

    I was a sophomore at Edinboro. Went to my 9:30 class knowing that a plane (assuming the size of a Cessna) had flown into one of the towers. Just as my 11:00 class started, they cancelled classes and we learned about what had happened.

    There's a PSAC football connection to the tragedy - one of the pilots played football at West Chester. This article does a nice job of summarizing the man and the tribute to his honor.

    https://patch.com/pennsylvania/westc...11-anniversary

  8. #8

    Default Re: 9/11

    I never thought everyone on here was that young. Bloom has a flag up for every military person killed since 9/11.
    https://wnep.com/2018/09/11/bloomsbu...remember-9-11/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    638
    Rep Power
    64783

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Here is a link to a great article I read once a year.

    https://www.si.com/vault/2001/09/24/...four-of-a-kind
    A great tribute! Thanks for sharing it.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 9/11

    I fly about 5 times a month. There isn't a trip I don't think about what those people lost.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    61098

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quite the day. Started it by moving my father from Hagerstown to a nursing home in suburban Harrisburg. Stopped at his brother's house in Shippensburg, where we watched the towers going down on TV.

    We reached the nursing home in the late afternoon. As we were taking my dad's stuff up to his room, the doctor who did his admission exam said, "We need to talk. Right away."

    Cancer. He was gone six months later.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,976
    Rep Power
    56324

    Default Re: 9/11

    I'm at the odd age in all of this. I'm 25. I was 8 years old when this day occurred. I think if I had been two years, maybe even one year younger, I probably wouldn't remember much, if anything at all.

    I was in 3rd grade. I can still vividly picture the classroom. Where I was sitting. All that stuff. It's strange..

    At that age, you didn't truly understand what was happening or what was going on. I remember my teacher crying. I remember other teachers crying. They were all gathered around outside in the hallway. None of us knew what was happening. Eventually, one of the televisions in the room was turned on. I don't recall if any teacher explained what was happening to us, but somehow we all knew by watching the TV that something bad had happened. We were all frightened. We were all scared. But none of us actually knew what had happened. I can actually still remember sitting at the lunch table that day with my elementary school girlfriend (everybody had one of those). We were talking about what we thought had occurred and what it might mean. Then I remember her getting dismissed in the middle of our lunch period.

    It was mid-morning that students started getting dismissed. It seemed like over half the kids in the school had parents come and pick them up that day. My parents never picked me up that day. When my mom picked me up after school, I remember asking her why she didn't come to get me. I forget the actual answer, but paraphrasing, she said, "Whether you were at school or at home, it wasn't going to change what had happened."

  13. #13

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I'm at the odd age in all of this. I'm 25. I was 8 years old when this day occurred. I think if I had been two years, maybe even one year younger, I probably wouldn't remember much, if anything at all.

    I was in 3rd grade. I can still vividly picture the classroom. Where I was sitting. All that stuff. It's strange..

    At that age, you didn't truly understand what was happening or what was going on. I remember my teacher crying. I remember other teachers crying. They were all gathered around outside in the hallway. None of us knew what was happening. Eventually, one of the televisions in the room was turned on. I don't recall if any teacher explained what was happening to us, but somehow we all knew by watching the TV that something bad had happened. We were all frightened. We were all scared. But none of us actually knew what had happened. I can actually still remember sitting at the lunch table that day with my elementary school girlfriend (everybody had one of those). We were talking about what we thought had occurred and what it might mean. Then I remember her getting dismissed in the middle of our lunch period.

    It was mid-morning that students started getting dismissed. It seemed like over half the kids in the school had parents come and pick them up that day. My parents never picked me up that day. When my mom picked me up after school, I remember asking her why she didn't come to get me. I forget the actual answer, but paraphrasing, she said, "Whether you were at school or at home, it wasn't going to change what had happened."
    A former friend of mine was a teacher on that day. He had to break up several fights. He taught special education kids and that included some with learning disabilities, but mostly kids with behavioral issues. Many of the Arab kids in his class were cheering and happy that day and the other kids took exception. I would have hated to have been in that class that day.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, formerly of Waterbury, CT
    Posts
    1,401
    Rep Power
    19670

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I'm at the odd age in all of this. I'm 25. I was 8 years old when this day occurred. I think if I had been two years, maybe even one year younger, I probably wouldn't remember much, if anything at all.

    I was in 3rd grade. I can still vividly picture the classroom. Where I was sitting. All that stuff. It's strange..

    At that age, you didn't truly understand what was happening or what was going on. I remember my teacher crying. I remember other teachers crying. They were all gathered around outside in the hallway. None of us knew what was happening. Eventually, one of the televisions in the room was turned on. I don't recall if any teacher explained what was happening to us, but somehow we all knew by watching the TV that something bad had happened. We were all frightened. We were all scared. But none of us actually knew what had happened. I can actually still remember sitting at the lunch table that day with my elementary school girlfriend (everybody had one of those). We were talking about what we thought had occurred and what it might mean. Then I remember her getting dismissed in the middle of our lunch period.

    It was mid-morning that students started getting dismissed. It seemed like over half the kids in the school had parents come and pick them up that day. My parents never picked me up that day. When my mom picked me up after school, I remember asking her why she didn't come to get me. I forget the actual answer, but paraphrasing, she said, "Whether you were at school or at home, it wasn't going to change what had happened."
    I was barely 25 when it happened, teaching in Bridgeport, CT (maybe 90 minutes from NYC on a good day) in my second week as a full-time college teacher. Everyone in my class who had a cell phone (this was still the time when not everyone had a cell phone) had it go off at pretty much the same time, around 8:40 I think. I call for a class break at about 9:15 (3-hour lectures need breaks) and one student comes up to me and tells me what happened, and it's just one of those things you can't believe could happen until it does. At about 9:30 the intercom goes off and the president of the college announces that the college is shutting down indefinitely and we are all to leave by 10:30. I taught at that school 5 years and it was the only time the intercom was used. I joined a couple co-workers in a neighboring classroom and saw the towers go down on TV - just plain shock all around. I thought 30,000 people died if not more. Driving home the first thing I hear on the radio was Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" and the first thing I saw on the highway were no cars going south on the Merritt Parkway (I was going north)-I could have gotten out of my car and walked on that road.

    The fire, police, EMT's, the people on Flight 93 - I can't fathom what it must have taken for those people to go in when all logic says to go out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    98,212
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Quite the day. Started it by moving my father from Hagerstown to a nursing home in suburban Harrisburg. Stopped at his brother's house in Shippensburg, where we watched the towers going down on TV.

    We reached the nursing home in the late afternoon. As we were taking my dad's stuff up to his room, the doctor who did his admission exam said, "We need to talk. Right away."

    Cancer. He was gone six months later.

    Oh man that was a double bad day for you. I’m so sorry.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    22,964
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Quite the day. Started it by moving my father from Hagerstown to a nursing home in suburban Harrisburg. Stopped at his brother's house in Shippensburg, where we watched the towers going down on TV.

    We reached the nursing home in the late afternoon. As we were taking my dad's stuff up to his room, the doctor who did his admission exam said, "We need to talk. Right away."

    Cancer. He was gone six months later.
    Dang shooter, I’m sorry to hear that, man. So strange how you can relate to all those who lost someone that day. Sharing in others pain is always a good thing, but not literally. On a separate note, I’ve been blessed to interact with you on this forum. I hope we can meet at a Ship game this year.

  17. Default Re: 9/11

    Relating 9/11 to an IUP football standpoint----it was indeed a double sad day there as well as DB Tim Singel was laid to rest that day after a tragic accident on one of the Indiana streets a few nights before that. Singel had been a star at now defunct Laurel Valley High School before coming to IUP. It's hard not to think about him each year on the anniversary as well as the former West Chest QB who was one of the flight crew on one of the planes that hit the Trade Towers.

    -

  18. #18

    Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Relating 9/11 to an IUP football standpoint----it was indeed a double sad day there as well as DB Tim Singel was laid to rest that day after a tragic accident on one of the Indiana streets a few nights before that. Singel had been a star at now defunct Laurel Valley High School before coming to IUP. It's hard not to think about him each year on the anniversary as well as the former West Chest QB who was one of the flight crew on one of the planes that hit the Trade Towers.

    -
    I remember the night of Tim's passing. Awful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    261
    Rep Power
    21884

    Default Re: 9/11

    I was a freshman at Cheyney and on my way to my 9am class running late when I was watching the Today show and saw the WTC on fire and them saying a plane hit it. A few minutes later as I was leaving my dorm the 2nd plane hit and I ran to class to inform my classmates as phones with internet access was very limited back then. Cheyney cancelled all classes that afternoon as the campus shut down minus the food services/library the rest of the day and I stayed in my room watching the news coverage until I fell asleep around midnite.

  20. Default Re: 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    I was a freshman at Cheyney and on my way to my 9am class running late when I was watching the Today show and saw the WTC on fire and them saying a plane hit it. A few minutes later as I was leaving my dorm the 2nd plane hit and I ran to class to inform my classmates as phones with internet access was very limited back then. Cheyney cancelled all classes that afternoon as the campus shut down minus the food services/library the rest of the day and I stayed in my room watching the news coverage until I fell asleep around midnite.
    It is crazy to look back at that day and think about the technology then compared to now. I had just gotten my first cell phone because I traveled quite a bit for my job and it definitely did not have internet access. My graduating college class (Spring 2001) was probably one of the last where the majority went through college without a cell phone. I only knew a small handful of people who had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •