Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: UW-P Football consideration

  1. #1

    Default UW-P Football consideration

    I’m new here but I’m known on other boards for my FCS talks. I’m just going to get straight into what I want to talk about. Wisconsin doesn’t have a D2 football program but Parkside is D2 for everything other than football. Who’s to say they couldn’t start a football program in the next ten years. It would give Wisconsin kids the chance to stay closer to home and it would give the GLIAC another football member. To all you GLIAC supporters I ask you this, if Parkside were to start a football program in the future would you welcome them? Or would you want to force them out? It’s an interesting situation that Wisconsin finds itself in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,844
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
    I’m new here but I’m known on other boards for my FCS talks. I’m just going to get straight into what I want to talk about. Wisconsin doesn’t have a D2 football program but Parkside is D2 for everything other than football. Who’s to say they couldn’t start a football program in the next ten years. It would give Wisconsin kids the chance to stay closer to home and it would give the GLIAC another football member. To all you GLIAC supporters I ask you this, if Parkside were to start a football program in the future would you welcome them? Or would you want to force them out? It’s an interesting situation that Wisconsin finds itself in.
    the gliac would certainly welcome them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    513
    Rep Power
    55756

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
    I’m new here but I’m known on other boards for my FCS talks. I’m just going to get straight into what I want to talk about. Wisconsin doesn’t have a D2 football program but Parkside is D2 for everything other than football. Who’s to say they couldn’t start a football program in the next ten years. It would give Wisconsin kids the chance to stay closer to home and it would give the GLIAC another football member. To all you GLIAC supporters I ask you this, if Parkside were to start a football program in the future would you welcome them? Or would you want to force them out? It’s an interesting situation that Wisconsin finds itself in.
    I believe UW-P is already a member of the GLIAC in other sports, so travel shouldn't be an issue. Close enough to Chicago so they can purge some talent to add to the Wisconsin kids. Not that I'm a deciding factor, but not seeing any issues here. Maybe wondering if there's an easier way to get your program started than jumping right into GLIAC competition.

  4. #4

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Of course the GLIAC would welcome Parkside football. But, it is very doubtful the Badgers would allow a system school to have scholarship football. That's why all the other UW schools with football are D3.

  5. Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    That’s actually about to change, new state laws are being put into place to stop the badgers from doing that. Nobody knows much about it cause it was one of those things that were just put in the legislature at the last minute.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,101
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Until they allow other scholarship football programs to exist in Wisconsin besides UW, then this is a non-issue.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,934
    Rep Power
    172486

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    Of course the GLIAC would welcome Parkside football. But, it is very doubtful the Badgers would allow a system school to have scholarship football. That's why all the other UW schools with football are D3.
    The nine Wisconsin D3 schools were originally founded as state teachers colleges (ie. Whitewater State Normal School) before evolving into the Wisconsin State University system in the 1950s (ie. Wisconsin State College/University-Whitewater) and were merged into the UW system in 1971. The pre-merger UW campuses were Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Parkside (Kenosha/Racine). The football programs existed at Whitewater, LaCrosse, etc. pre-dated the UW System merger in 1971.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

  8. #8

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
    That’s actually about to change, new state laws are being put into place to stop the badgers from doing that. Nobody knows much about it cause it was one of those things that were just put in the legislature at the last minute.
    Hope it passes. It's petty of the Badgers to have this type of policy. I'm glad the pigs have not been successful in pulling that stunt here in Arkansas.

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    The nine Wisconsin D3 schools were originally founded as state teachers colleges (ie. Whitewater State Normal School) before evolving into the Wisconsin State University system in the 1950s (ie. Wisconsin State College/University-Whitewater) and were merged into the UW system in 1971. The pre-merger UW campuses were Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Parkside (Kenosha/Racine). The football programs existed at Whitewater, LaCrosse, etc. pre-dated the UW System merger in 1971.
    I'll make that my daily learn something new. Thanks for the info; very interesting. Did Whitewater and the others have athletic scholarships prior to the merger?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    10961

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
    I’m new here but I’m known on other boards for my FCS talks. I’m just going to get straight into what I want to talk about. Wisconsin doesn’t have a D2 football program but Parkside is D2 for everything other than football. Who’s to say they couldn’t start a football program in the next ten years. It would give Wisconsin kids the chance to stay closer to home and it would give the GLIAC another football member. To all you GLIAC supporters I ask you this, if Parkside were to start a football program in the future would you welcome them? Or would you want to force them out? It’s an interesting situation that Wisconsin finds itself in.
    I think it is actually a state law currently somewhere in the depths of the laws of Wisconsin, that no school in the Wisconsin system may offer football scholarships with the exception of UW-Madison. Others have mentioned that may be changing, but I think this is what I heard previously.

    It likely dated back to when schools were allowed unlimited scholarships (pre Title IX) and UW-Madison wanted to be able to hoard all the football talent while leaving the scraps for the now D3 schools.

    With the changing landscape that includes Title IX, this needs to change.

    At one time Milwaukee had a football program. They dropped the program after the 1974 season, and had spent the previous decade as an independent after being part of the Wisconsin State College Conference, which is the version of the conference that now has the public D3 schools. During the decade between leaving the WSC and dropping football they played many teams from the region, most of who were independent programs at the time, such as Eastern and Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, and others who would later form the Mid-Continent Conference. Among the other somewhat regulars opponents if UW-Milwaukee were current GLIAC members Ferris State (10 meetings between 1957 and 1974.) Wayne State (7 meetings 1964-1974), Michigan Tech and NMU were also occasional opponents as were Central and Eastern Michigan.

    I would welcome the UW D1 and D2 schools adding football, but I think in today's age, it is a huge financial risk with Title IX and many schools having budget crisis issues. Parkside might be in the best position to do so as a D2 school, but I think that is a longshot to happen.

  10. Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
    I think it is actually a state law currently somewhere in the depths of the laws of Wisconsin, that no school in the Wisconsin system may offer football scholarships with the exception of UW-Madison. Others have mentioned that may be changing, but I think this is what I heard previously.

    It likely dated back to when schools were allowed unlimited scholarships (pre Title IX) and UW-Madison wanted to be able to hoard all the football talent while leaving the scraps for the now D3 schools.

    With the changing landscape that includes Title IX, this needs to change.

    At one time Milwaukee had a football program. They dropped the program after the 1974 season, and had spent the previous decade as an independent after being part of the Wisconsin State College Conference, which is the version of the conference that now has the public D3 schools. During the decade between leaving the WSC and dropping football they played many teams from the region, most of who were independent programs at the time, such as Eastern and Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, and others who would later form the Mid-Continent Conference. Among the other somewhat regulars opponents if UW-Milwaukee were current GLIAC members Ferris State (10 meetings between 1957 and 1974.) Wayne State (7 meetings 1964-1974), Michigan Tech and NMU were also occasional opponents as were Central and Eastern Michigan.

    I would welcome the UW D1 and D2 schools adding football, but I think in today's age, it is a huge financial risk with Title IX and many schools having budget crisis issues. Parkside might be in the best position to do so as a D2 school, but I think that is a longshot to happen.
    That law was recently called Unconstitutional under Title IX and now its just a matter of whether a Wisconsin school could fund a football program

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    33,817
    Rep Power
    375786

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Yeah, they make it legal for other Wisconsin schools to have Scholarships and I would all be for welcoming Parkside in.

  12. Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Yeah, they make it legal for other Wisconsin schools to have Scholarships and I would all be for welcoming Parkside in.
    Would give D2 another quality program overall that’s for sure.

  13. Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    I just dug even further into this whole thing and it turns out that there’s actually nothing legally stopping any Wisconsin schools going up the divisions as of 2010, only thing stopping anyone is funding.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,825
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
    At one time Milwaukee had a football program.
    It would be nice to have Parkside to add D2 football and Green Bay and Milwaukee to go FCS. I don't know where the money would come from though.

    As long as I am wishes for the state of Wiscy, I may as well ask for the return of baseball to UW.

  15. Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    It would be nice to have Parkside to add D2 football and Green Bay and Milwaukee to go FCS. I don't know where the money would come from though.

    As long as I am wishes for the state of Wiscy, I may as well ask for the return of baseball to UW.
    It’s actually not really unrealistic for Milwaukee to add football, they have a club team and Green Bay has thought about it previously within the last 5 years so it’s not that insane. As for funding it’s really going to be down to whether or not the state is willing to fund 2 FCS and a D2

  16. #16

    Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    A ton of those D3 schools in the state should be D2.

  17. Default Re: UW-P Football consideration

    I’ve done some more research into why there’s no other Scholarship football schools in Wisconsin and it turns out it’s literally just a funding issue. There’s no law preventing a Parkside from having a program it’s just a matter of if they could fund it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •