Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne State vs Indy

Default Wayne State vs Indy

I'm watching the game on live stream from the U Indy web site. I'm glad it's free. Wayne State looks terrible. They are down 21-0 at half time and I don't see them coming back to win this one. They can't complete a pass, have had numerous costly penalties and aren't running the ball particularly well.

What I'm seeing does not bode well for the rest of the season. I guess we're no Grand Valley (but we already knew that).

Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

whats going on with WSU

3. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

IMO they need a new head coach. Winters was really good for the 1st 6-7 years of his head coaching stint, but has flat lined for the last 7 years with a 34-33 overall record since 2011. He has no fear of getting fired as long as the current AD hangs around.
    We need a guy who's hungry, driven, innovative and can recruit good talent that can actually compete against the best in the GLIAC and D2. We may be underfunded as well but that's a topic for another day.

4. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

Chances Indy just came out angry after their disappointing loss last week? I mean they did go undefeated last season and Wayne didn’t do much of anything.
    Last edited by GVLakerFan24; 09-08-2018 at 07:39 PM.

5. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

Just not sure what WSU fans expected realistically against Indy. Seems like an extreme reaction to go from so much optimism to call for Winters’ head
    Last edited by GVLakerFan24; 09-08-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Unneeded now

After watching UIndy at GV last week, I thought for sure Wayne was going to be able to beat them fairly easily. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
    Just not sure what WSU fans expected realistically against Indy. Seems like an extreme reaction to go from so much optimism to call for Winters’ head
    Winters seems to have worn out his welcome a few years ago, though. It isn't the first time the WSU people have mentioned that they need something new in there.

8. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

Quote Originally Posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
    My opinion was not based on one loss, it’s based on 7 yrs of frustration and I for one was not optimistic about this season. The fact is that the WSU football program has not really progressed after playing for the national title 7 yrs ago. They’ve kind of stumbled and bumbled along over that period with a couple decent seasons, a couple losing seasons and a couple so-so seasons. We need some kind of change or we can expect the same results for the forseeable future.

As for Indianapolis, Yes they are a very good team and were pissed off, but Wayne State did not even give them a contest. They should have been much better prepared and disciplined and that’s on the head coach and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneStatesman View Post
    IMO they need a new head coach. Winters was really good for the 1st 6-7 years of his head coaching stint, but has flat lined for the last 7 years with a 34-33 overall record since 2011. He has no fear of getting fired as long as the current AD hangs around.
    We need a guy who's hungry, driven, innovative and can recruit good talent that can actually compete against the best in the GLIAC and D2. We may be underfunded as well but that's a topic for another day.
    You can have Matt Mitchell....please, take him. Oh wait, you said you need a coach who is hungry, driven and innovative. Mitchell is NOT your guy then. But you can still have him.

To be fair...Wayne State had never been a competitive program prior to Winters. Ever. I would concentrate more on your resource allocation (i.e. facilities, recruiting, coaching salaries to get better assistants, etc.). Until those things improve, no one is going to have consistent success. Wayne State is the third highest funded university in the state. There's no reason they can't scrape together the money needed to compete more in athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    You can have Matt Mitchell....please, take him. Oh wait, you said you need a coach who is hungry, driven and innovative. Mitchell is NOT your guy then. But you can still have him.
    this just isn't true - we will keep our coach

12. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

A lot of hating going on!

Hahahahahahahah! I’m still hopeful that now that Selgo is gone Mitchell won’t continue to get a free pass.

14. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

Quote Originally Posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    To be fair...Wayne State had never been a competitive program prior to Winters. Ever. I would concentrate more on your resource allocation (i.e. facilities, recruiting, coaching salaries to get better assistants, etc.). Until those things improve, no one is going to have consistent success. Wayne State is the third highest funded university in the state. There's no reason they can't scrape together the money needed to compete more in athletics.
    You make some fair points. I'm well aware of how bad Wayne State football had been prior to Winters. They were definitely non-competitive for many, many years. For whatever reason Wayne State has never funded athletics very well historically. For a university the size of Wayne State they should be D1 not D2 but it didn't happen and probably will never happen.

They have upgraded their facilities in recent years and they had to shell out enough dough to keep Winters from taking the Akron head coaching job a few years ago but I suspect (I don't have any facts) that Wayne still doesn't spend as much on their athletic program in general and football in particular as some other GLIAC schools do.

I had contemplated making that 5-hour drive down to see this one, but the bad weather convinced me to stay home and watch it on the computer... I'm so glad I didn't make that trip. In every category Wayne was flat; offensive line, defensive line, running backs only had a few nice runs, costly turnovers and penalties, quarterbacks (plural) and special teams... just poor execution and motivation across the board. Head Coach Winters had better find a way to get this train back on the tracks or this will be his second straight losing season. He had some great players for a while, and they made the program nationally relevant for a few years, but if this is the best we can look forward to then this season is a wrap; WSU is going to continue to fall back to the bottom of the heap. Very disappointing considering Wayne fought Indy down to the wire and lost on a last second field goal last year...

16. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

Such a sloppy game for Wayne, figuratively and literally. I'll cut to the point, defense looks like it will be average at best and offense is under-performing at this point. QB play, plain and simple, is POOR. Wayne sits at worst passing game in the conference two games in. Now listen, I understand this last game was in conditions that made passing extremely difficult but man oh man....Indy completed ALL of their passes and for 2 TDS, Wayne completed 6/18 passes for 50 yds, all of which came in a garbage time last drive! YIKES! Now WSU takes on a Ashland team that is flat out pissed and not to mention battle tested. Only thing Wayne has going for them is they are home. I expect WSU to put up a better fight and their offense to play better but frankly the defense worries me, that shutout against Walsh is misleading as Walsh has yet to score an offensive TD on the season.

New Era and MD some very good and well thought out observations and analysis. You too Wayne Statesman. I just can't get over the fact that we have been juggling qb's for so many years. Recall the year we had three and they were rotated as the play needed was determined. Thus the opposition knew what was going to happen also. So, not having been able to view the game Saturday, how did AmRhein look when he was in. As it is unfolding, it looks like and I am hoping he ascends to lead the team. I still believe the OL is good and the receivers are fast and talented. Possibly the rain hurt the passing game, but that wasn't the problem the opening game. It was poor passing that day. Interested in hearing what you saw as far as Jakes potential.

18. Default Re: Wayne State vs Indy

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    New Era and MD some very good and well thought out observations and analysis. You too Wayne Statesman. I just can't get over the fact that we have been juggling qb's for so many years. Recall the year we had three and they were rotated as the play needed was determined. Thus the opposition knew what was going to happen also. So, not having been able to view the game Saturday, how did AmRhein look when he was in. As it is unfolding, it looks like and I am hoping he ascends to lead the team. I still believe the OL is good and the receivers are fast and talented. Possibly the rain hurt the passing game, but that wasn't the problem the opening game. It was poor passing that day. Interested in hearing what you saw as far as Jakes potential.
    Sandman - AmRhein looked just OK. He went 0/6 in his first couple series and then finished we 3 straight completions in the final garbage time drive vs. UIndy's backups. He definitely has some arm strength was evidenced on his one long completion but he isn't as mobile as the other two (Zezula and Kupp). Frankly he wasn't any better or worse looking than the other two which is scary. Having a QB controversy between two QBs is enough of a problem but three QBs?! I don't think I've ever seen 3 QBs rotated back and forth in two games because of performance issues before.

Thanks New Era- Guess we will have to wait and see what happens against Ashland.

I know historically, and I mean old history, Wayne State wasn't a national power; when I played ('78 and '79)we had an old run down facility and we were happy to even have a team. Now the facilities are great, the field and equipment are very good, we have an administration and fan base that is very supportive and we've competed for a national championship just a few years ago. I am not satisfied with the current status quo and I'm hoping Winters and the University aren't happy either. I hate seeing Ferris, Grand valley, Ashland, Ohio Dominion, even Findley improve, maintain and gain national relevance while we slither back down the hole of mediocrity. WSU is truly a world class university, but the football team is not, and I want more, plain and simple... There's no reason we shouldn't be a perennial powerhouse in D2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast