Thread: Wayne at Southwest Game Thread

Contribute to D2

Default Wayne at Southwest Game Thread

Not at the game tonight, so I'll try to post some updates here from the video feed.

A lot of fireworks traditionally between these programs, so should be a fun one!

Default Re: Wayne at Southwest Game Thread

Couldn't ask for a much better start!

WSC starts with the ball, but a strip sack gives Southwest a RZ opportunity right away. Score three plays later.

7-0 Mustangs!

Dejavu! Another strip sack...

Two sacks end the Mustangs drive, Gimbel pooch punts on 4th

Wildcats tie it up

Updates hereafter may be more sparse

Wayne took a 13-7 lead into halftime, but SMSU retakes the lead 14-13 on first drive of second half

Not sure what all happened between the 1st drive of the 2nd half and the end of the game, but Wayne won 23-14.

Cats had five turnovers but held SMSU to less than 150 yards I believe

Very happy with that defensive performance. Hope this carries over to the Augie game next week.

Quote Originally Posted by digz View Post
    Very happy with that defensive performance. Hope this carries over to the Augie game next week.
    I heard they had 8 sacks on the SW QB. One way to slow down a passing attack.

11. Default Re: Wayne at Southwest Game Thread

Happy Monday......

I was at the game and was beyond frustrated. SMSU has plenty of questions to answer going forward and can't use we were playing the number #1 team (Mankato) as an excuse. Not throwing the ball away, dropped balls/touchdowns, giving up big plays or capitalizing off turnovers stand out. When you have the ball in the red zone but have to punt, then you know it's a rough night.

I also wonder why when Connor Wilkie is matched up 1 on 1 on the outside, why not throw him a few 50/50 balls and utilize his height. Otherwise, we the exception of the Crookston game, victories will be hard to come by.

12. Default Re: Wayne at Southwest Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    Happy Monday......

I was at the game and was beyond frustrated. SMSU has plenty of questions to answer going forward and can't use we were playing the number #1 team (Mankato) as an excuse. Not throwing the ball away, dropped balls/touchdowns, giving up big plays or capitalizing off turnovers stand out. When you have the ball in the red zone but have to punt, then you know it's a rough night.

I also wonder why when Connor Wilkie is matched up 1 on 1 on the outside, why not throw him a few 50/50 balls and utilize his height. Otherwise, we the exception of the Crookston game, victories will be hard to come by.
    You took every word right out of my mouth. I know this sounds like a typical response from the losing team, but that officiating crew we had was awful. We can't win games leaving our defense on the field for 90 plays either. Those guys barely get to catch their breath before the punt team is running out. The three and outs have to end.

I kept noticing Wilkie out there 1-on-1 with their corner (#15) who was significantly shorter. I was waiting for the deep shots but I don't think Blake had enough time to let a route like that develop. He was pressured or sacked before WRs were even able to get 10 yards to break off a post route. Speaking of wide receivers, we seem to be rotating guys quite a bit. I'm not sure what the reason would be. Trying to figure out who is going to separate themselves from the rest?

Defense played well

OLINE sucks beyond belief. All 5 of them should be benched. Embarrasing beyond belief. We made Wayne look the the 86 Bears

Game plan was bad. Nothing but short passes (partly because we can block). But we didn't adjust and send out 3 and keep 7 blockers and throw some up to Wilkie or Kirk (who could get some 50/50 balls.

Running game non existent because the OLINE sucks

Daniel Davis looks good. That's it.

Blake has to wonder why he came back to play behind this line of wimps