Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    95,893
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    They are having a rebid. Issue with stadium.

    Come on Hershey....bid!!!!

    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...game-bids-open

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, formerly of Waterbury, CT
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Power
    19667

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    They are having a rebid. Issue with stadium.

    Come on Hershey....bid!!!!

    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...game-bids-open
    I would go if Hershey got the game.

    I personally would like to see it in Florida, I think Orlando could be a good host.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,826
    Rep Power
    55804

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Come on Nashville. Pony up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    61063

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    I've sat through many a December game in Hersheypark Stadium.

    I think Orlando could be a good host, too.

  5. #5

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    South. South. South.

    A west coast / east coast rotation would be nice, too.

    It obviously doesn't need to be in some giant stadium. The more seats in the building just makes it look all the worse on television.

    Find a nice 1-AA Stadium down south (Atlanta, Fla, SC) or on the West Coast (So Cal, AZ, Vegas).

    Don't get me wrong ... I enjoy a regular season game full of high winds, sleet, snow, etc. Maybe once a year. But, not for a title game.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    25756

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    I personally think having the game played in a new, MLS stadium with roughly 20,000 capacity was a positive thing; it provided modern amenities and was located in a major market that was reasonably accessible. In Kansas City's case it was also located relatively close to various D2 schools. I'd like to see future games played in similar venues, though preferably in a warmer weather site.

    Here's a list of the MLS, soccer-specific venues (markets) that are fairly new and located in the eastern half of the U.S. (there are few D2 teams on the West Coast):

    *Washington, DC (2018)
    *Orlando (2017)
    *Houston (2012)
    *New York (Harrison, NJ) (2010)
    *Philadelphia (Chester, PA) (2010)
    *Chicago (Bridgeview, IL) (2006)
    *Dallas (Frisco) (2005)
    *Columbus (1999)

    Among the stadiums listed above, Orlando is out because the Cure Bowl is played on the same day at a nearby stadium at a partially overlapping time. (If the time didn't overlap, I think holding the game in Orlando and essentially creating a football doubleheader would be an interesting experiment.) Most of the others are located in cold weather sites. The best options IMO are Houston and Dallas (the latter of which already hosts the Division I-AA championship game; this year it also hosts the Frisco Bowl four days after the D2 title game); Houston in particular would be a good site IMO. If weather is not a consideration, any of the other sites (New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Columbus) would be good sites, with the first four having good airline access and Columbus being a medium-sized market (like Kansas City) where the game might be a bigger deal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,826
    Rep Power
    55804

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    South. South. South.

    A west coast / east coast rotation would be nice, too.

    It obviously doesn't need to be in some giant stadium. The more seats in the building just makes it look all the worse on television.

    Find a nice 1-AA Stadium down south (Atlanta, Fla, SC) or on the West Coast (So Cal, AZ, Vegas).

    Don't get me wrong ... I enjoy a regular season game full of high winds, sleet, snow, etc. Maybe once a year. But, not for a title game.
    Nashville

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    I really dislike Hershey stadium. Plus getting there would be a negative. I agree that an MLS stadium is ideal. South is also the way to go. Orlando might be the best option for cheap air, attractive secondary reasons for going, and weather. Dallas is surprisingly cold in the winter and probably wouldn't be much better than KC.

  9. #9

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I really dislike Hershey stadium. Plus getting there would be a negative. I agree that an MLS stadium is ideal. South is also the way to go. Orlando might be the best option for cheap air, attractive secondary reasons for going, and weather. Dallas is surprisingly cold in the winter and probably wouldn't be much better than KC.
    Agree. Hersheypark Stadium is a dump. IMO, it shouldn't even host high school state championships, let alone a college football national championship game.

  10. Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    How long did Kansas City host the D-II title game? Probably many of us more seasoned forum members recall when it was held in Florence, Alabama.

    I like the Orlando suggestion. Warm climes or at least I would assume. Lots to do for families with all the Disney type resorts.

    Why not just alternate the game around like what the SB and NFL Draft does now? Doesn't D-II hoops championship sites do this as well?

    I don't like the idea of a championship game being played in cold and crappy weather. Should be a warm weather location or dome.

    -

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    25756

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    RE: Orlando hosting the D2 title game

    Because of the Cure Bowl (one of the minor DI-A bowl games), which is played at the nearby Florida Citrus Bowl stadium (or whatever it is called now) on the same day and overlaps time-wise with the D2 national championship game, Orlando wouldn't work in 2018. However, I think Orlando should be a serious candidate for the 2019-2021 games; ESPN and the NCAA can figure out the logistics of holding the D2 national championship game and the Cure Bowl in different stadiums 1-2 miles apart on the same day.

  12. #12

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    RE: Orlando hosting the D2 title game

    Because of the Cure Bowl (one of the minor DI-A bowl games), which is played at the nearby Florida Citrus Bowl stadium (or whatever it is called now) on the same day and overlaps time-wise with the D2 national championship game, Orlando wouldn't work in 2018. However, I think Orlando should be a serious candidate for the 2019-2021 games; ESPN and the NCAA can figure out the logistics of holding the D2 national championship game and the Cure Bowl in different stadiums 1-2 miles apart on the same day.
    Remember that a D-II school must be a host, which is why the game was in Florence as long as it was (North Alabama as the host).
    I guess a site could be picked away from a D-II school but would anyone want to be a host of a game far from their campus area?

  13. #13

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Needs to be played in warm climate, Florida. Nobody wants to go to a cold championship game.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    95,893
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
    Needs to be played in warm climate, Florida. Nobody wants to go to a cold championship game.

    I do. Put the game in PA and force the Midwest and Southern teams to play on our turf for a change. Why should they always have the advantage?

  15. #15

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I do. Put the game in PA and force the Midwest and Southern teams to play on our turf for a change. Why should they always have the advantage?

    How'd that work out for IUP last year? Jus Saying' lol.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    242
    Rep Power
    21882

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Since a D2 school must be the host why not have it be in Texas or Valdosta State? Nice weather and not too far from metropolitan airports with stadiums over 10k seats.

  17. #17

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Why the heck does a D2 school have to host? Who cares. Dumb rule. Pick the best location available.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    61063

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Incidentals. Game-day preparation. It obviously doesn't have to be on a campus, but some school has to be in charge of the preparation. You can ask any SID around what kind of time that entails, and it's a lot tougher to do 200 miles away than 20.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,795
    Rep Power
    5755

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Agree. Hersheypark Stadium is a dump. IMO, it shouldn't even host high school state championships, let alone a college football national championship game.
    This !

    It only serves as a site because of location. The Stadium is crappy.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,795
    Rep Power
    5755

    Default Re: D2 Title Game Not Being Played In KC

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I do. Put the game in PA and force the Midwest and Southern teams to play on our turf for a change. Why should they always have the advantage?
    Their advantage goes far beyond location.

    LOL, though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •