Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79

Thread: F U Sporting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    7,758
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    116369

    Default F U Sporting

    Sporting Kansas City & Children’s Mercy Park have screwed over the MIAA & the KC Athletics Council:
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...en?division=d2
    Pain is a gift Without the capacity for pain, we can't feel the hurt we inflict.

  2. #2

    Default

    Was heading here to post this as I just saw on Twitter. How unfortunate for KC and the MIAA. The Star in Frisco, TX would be a cool venue but probably not happening. Back to Alabama?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by Erbert View Post
    Was heading here to post this as I just saw on Twitter. How unfortunate for KC and the MIAA. The Star in Frisco, TX would be a cool venue but probably not happening. Back to Alabama?
    My vote would be UCO if it stays in the MIAA!
    Pain is a gift Without the capacity for pain, we can't feel the hurt we inflict.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    35414

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    a damn shame...it's been a great venue for the game and fans (outside of the damn cold)

    My initial thoughts would be Arrowhead picks up the game, although I don't like the idea of a large stadium looking 3/4 empty. Which also applies to my second thought would be the Dome in St. Louis, at least it removes the cold part of the equation. My other thought would be a smaller college stadium a bit further south, I was thinking Tulsa stadium. It'd still be in the MIAA footprint and probably 10 degrees warmer on average than the games in KC. Maybe Abilene-Christian can host and Adam Dorrel can have everybody bunk up at his house.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    35414

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by Erbert View Post
    The Star in Frisco, TX would be a cool venue but probably not happening.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's not a bad suggestion

  6. Default Re: F U Sporting

    Is this just a one year deal? Could it come back to Sporting park in 2019?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    35414

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    a damn shame...it's been a great venue for the game and fans (outside of the damn cold)

    My initial thoughts would be Arrowhead picks up the game, although I don't like the idea of a large stadium looking 3/4 empty. Which also applies to my second thought would be the Dome in St. Louis, at least it removes the cold part of the equation. My other thought would be a smaller college stadium a bit further south, I was thinking Tulsa stadium. It'd still be in the MIAA footprint and probably 10 degrees warmer on average than the games in KC. Maybe Abilene-Christian can host and Adam Dorrel can have everybody bunk up at his house.
    Blair Kerkhoff of the KC Star also suggested MO West stadium. I'm sorry but, No...i don't want the best entertainment outside of the game to be the Frontier "Terrible's" Casino

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Bearcat Nation
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    6597

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Arrowhead won't want it for the same reason they didn't want the MSHSAA championships. They don't want a game played on grass on Saturday before a game on Sunday. Granted that week the Cheifs play at home on a Thursday night but still, why would they want a game that will have 4,000 people (or 12,000 if it's an MIAA team) in their 80,000 seat stadium?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    28,481
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
    Is this just a one year deal? Could it come back to Sporting park in 2019?
    That's how I read it. Just asking for a 2018 host. Hard to want to take on a single year this late. But might be an opportunity for a Pittsburg, KS, who already had a bid, to show they could take it on in 2023?

  10. Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
    Is this just a one year deal? Could it come back to Sporting park in 2019?
    Story says NCAA is accepting bids for 2019-21. I wouldn't expect them to give the game back to SKC after they shafted them at the last minute like that.

  11. Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBearcat View Post
    That's how I read it. Just asking for a 2018 host. Hard to want to take on a single year this late. But might be an opportunity for a Pittsburg, KS, who already had a bid, to show they could take it on in 2023?
    I'd guess there's a 1000% chance most of Pittsburg is thinking exactly this.

    I think the NCAA has been happy with Pittsburg's hosting of the Indoor Track and Field championships, but obviously, this is a different ballgame.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Bearcat Nation
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    6597

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
    Is this just a one year deal? Could it come back to Sporting park in 2019?
    They pulled out of the contract altogether. They don't want the game anymore because they want the facility shut down, and so far no one has showed up to the game with the exception of when NW has played.

  13. #13

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by MEAN GREEN MACHINE View Post
    Is this just a one year deal? Could it come back to Sporting park in 2019?
    I wouldn't hold my breathe. Sporting refused to guarantee that future projects wouldn't have the same thing happen again. So I don't see anybody partnering with them as a host site.
    Pain is a gift Without the capacity for pain, we can't feel the hurt we inflict.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Bearcat Nation
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    6597

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    I'd guess there's a 1000% chance most of Pittsburg is thinking exactly this.

    I think the NCAA has been happy with Pittsburg's hosting of the Indoor Track and Field championships, but obviously, this is a different ballgame.
    To me Pitt would be the best choice with UCM being a second choice. People could fly in to KC and get pretty close that way. I don't think Spratt would be big enough even though it would be very accessible. NW can only hold like 11,000 with 3,500 of those standing so that's out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Bearcat Nation
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    6597

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    I think the bottom line is that Sporting didn't want to mess with it and it wasn't worth it for them. And although it was the KC Sports Commission who pushed for this to start with, they probably won't care because now they've got bigger fish to fry with the World Cup bid.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,442
    Rep Power
    669450

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Pretty shocked by this.

  17. #17

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Well Pitt has being trying to get this thing for the last 20yrs it seems....I think they even put in a bid last time. Also Thought of Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence (only 3-4 yrs old) but looks like it might be too small 2,500 seats for the soccer field and 7,000 seats for the track. Hope we can keep it in the area.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    35414

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsix98 View Post
    WAlso Thought of Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence (only 3-4 yrs old) but looks like it might be too small 2,500 seats for the soccer field and 7,000 seats for the track. Hope we can keep it in the area.
    I mean, KU isn't using Memorial Stadium for football. They could use a big crowd by their standards.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,442
    Rep Power
    669450

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsix98 View Post
    Well Pitt has being trying to get this thing for the last 20yrs it seems....I think they even put in a bid last time. Also Thought of Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence (only 3-4 yrs old) but looks like it might be too small 2,500 seats for the soccer field and 7,000 seats for the track. Hope we can keep it in the area.
    I could be wrong but I don't think anyone bid against Sporting this last cycle. They moved the dates way up for that round of bids.

  20. #20

    Default Re: F U Sporting

    Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think anyone bid against Sporting this last cycle. They moved the dates way up for that round of bids.
    You are wrong, and they didn't move the dates up. They were announced well in advance. In fact, the selection announcement for football was delayed about 6 months after all the rest of the selections were made.
    Pain is a gift Without the capacity for pain, we can't feel the hurt we inflict.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •