Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16,648
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    678930

    Default AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    The top seven ranked teams all recorded victories to start the season and stayed in the same spot in the American Football Coaches Association Division II Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. It took Texas A&M-Commerce two overtimes to beat conference rival Texas A&M-Kingsville, 37-36, but they gathered 21 first-place votes to keep the top spot. The Lions are followed by West Florida, Minnesota State, Indiana (Pa.) and Fort Hays State (Kan.), who round out the D2 Coaches Poll Top 5.

    There are four Top 25 matchups in the second week of action, starting with No. 2 West Florida facing their second straight ranked opponent, No. 10 Midwestern State (Texas), in Wichita Falls, Texas. The other matchups are No. 9 Ferris State (Mich.) hosting No. 19t Findlay (Ohio), No. 14 Sioux Falls (S.D.) traveling to No. 15 Winona State (Minn.) and No. 17 Ohio Dominican hosting No. 18 Ashland (Ohio).

    AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)
    1. Texas A&M-Commerce (21) (1-0)
    2. West Florida (6) (1-0)
    3. Minnesota State-Mankato (4) (1-0)
    4. Indiana (PA) (1) (1-0)
    5. Fort Hays State (1-0)
    6. Northwest Missouri State (1-0)
    7. Harding (1-0)
    8. Grand Valley State (1-0)
    9. Ferris State (1-0)
    10. Midwestern State (1-0)
    11. West Alabama (1-0)
    12. Colorado State-Pueblo (1-0)
    13. West Georgia (1-0)
    14. Sioux Falls (1-0)
    15. Winona State (1-0)
    16. Central Washington (0-1)
    17. Ohio Dominican (1-0)
    18. Ashland (0-1)
    19t. Findlay (1-0)
    19t. Ouachita Baptist (1-0)
    21. Central Missouri (0-1)
    22. Indianapolis (0-1)
    23. West Chester (1-0)
    24. Minnesota-Duluth (1-0)
    25. Colorado Mesa (1-0)

    Others Receiving Votes
    Shepherd, Notre Dame College, Pittsburg State, Carson-Newman, Colorado School of Mines, Tarleton State, Azusa Pacific, Assumption, Florida Tech, Valdosta State, Southern Arkansas, Wingate, Emporia State, Shippensburg, Fairmont State, Texas A&M-Kingsville, Washburn, Bloomsburg, Delta State, Edinboro, California (PA), Hillsdale, Slippery Rock, Kutztown, Southeastern Oklahoma State

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    18,818
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    So lose to the #6 in the FCS and it is like a loss to a top 10 in D2 in how far you fall? I think some voters just look at that you lost, not who you lost to and if you were playing up or not with how often that happens in the D2 polls to top 10 teams that play money games.

  3. Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    I fully get in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter and that things will play out, but West Florida had 14 first place votes in the last poll and Texas A&M Commerce only had 13. Since then, West Florida beat the #22 team by 10 and completely dominated them defensively and A&M Commerce went to double OT with an unranked team. How in the heck did A&M Commerce jump to 21 first place votes and West Florida only get 6 when UWF's win was far more convincing and impressive over a better team?

  4. #4

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    On rankings that matter are Regional rankings and we have quite a few weeks until they come out...

  5. #5

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    I’m guessing a different golf grad assistant gets to fill out the card each week and they had last weeks poll to go off of and picked up a few more first place votes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,948
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    lol same thing every week during every year. The polls mean nothing. They are filled out by coaches or SID's who know nothing outside of their own team, let alone own conference, let alone own region. Having a top 25 anything in any Division II sport is pointless, because the amount of people who are knowledgeable enough to accurately fill them out is so minuscule.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,300
    Rep Power
    107663

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by West Florida View Post
    I fully get in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter and that things will play out, but West Florida had 14 first place votes in the last poll and Texas A&M Commerce only had 13. Since then, West Florida beat the #22 team by 10 and completely dominated them defensively and A&M Commerce went to double OT with an unranked team. How in the heck did A&M Commerce jump to 21 first place votes and West Florida only get 6 when UWF's win was far more convincing and impressive over a better team?
    I think you should worry about your game this week instead of your ranking.

  8. Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    I don't think anyone is going to call me for a scouting report. If I focus solely on the game Saturday I promise you it won't help UWF one bit more than if I don't. I'm sure the coaches and team are doing just that, I do not need to. MSU is a tremendous opponent and has my full respect. I wrote in the GSC section that West Florida will have more than it's handsful in an outstanding opponent this weekend who did whatever they wanted to do to their opponent in week 1. Again, pretty sure nobody in UWF camp is over looking Midwestern State by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said, as a fan, I am able to point out something I find interesting in the rankings. I started off by saying it doesn't really matter.
    Go Argos!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,913
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by West Florida View Post
    I don't think anyone is going to call me for a scouting report. If I focus solely on the game Saturday I promise you it won't help UWF one bit more than if I don't. I'm sure the coaches and team are doing just that, I do not need to. MSU is a tremendous opponent and has my full respect. I wrote in the GSC section that West Florida will have more than it's handsful in an outstanding opponent this weekend who did whatever they wanted to do to their opponent in week 1. Again, pretty sure nobody in UWF camp is over looking Midwestern State by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said, as a fan, I am able to point out something I find interesting in the rankings. I started off by saying it doesn't really matter.
    You'll find that almost every DII poll has a large degree of what the voters assume is "right" and the way things "should be."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,390
    Rep Power
    177111

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by West Florida View Post
    I don't think anyone is going to call me for a scouting report. If I focus solely on the game Saturday I promise you it won't help UWF one bit more than if I don't. I'm sure the coaches and team are doing just that, I do not need to. MSU is a tremendous opponent and has my full respect. I wrote in the GSC section that West Florida will have more than it's handsful in an outstanding opponent this weekend who did whatever they wanted to do to their opponent in week 1. Again, pretty sure nobody in UWF camp is over looking Midwestern State by any stretch of the imagination. With that being said, as a fan, I am able to point out something I find interesting in the rankings. I started off by saying it doesn't really matter.
    No, you're gonna need to take the week off work so you can get some extra practice in cheering. I expect you to only focus on mighty Midwestern and how you can help to take them down on Saturday!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    So lose to the #6 in the FCS and it is like a loss to a top 10 in D2 in how far you fall? I think some voters just look at that you lost, not who you lost to and if you were playing up or not with how often that happens in the D2 polls to top 10 teams that play money games.
    Chin up! You're the highest-ranked 0-1 team in DivisionII!

  12. Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    No, you're gonna need to take the week off work so you can get some extra practice in cheering. I expect you to only focus on mighty Midwestern and how you can help to take them down on Saturday!
    Just came in and my wife asked me what was with all the blue and green face paint. I told her it was for the game Saturday. She said, "Isn't that game all the way out in Texas?!?" I told her, "Babe, the Argos need my undivided attention and focus. I don't have time to discuss this. Midwestern State is to be taken serious. Do not look at or talk about the polls!!!"
    Go Argos!

  13. #13

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by West Florida View Post
    I fully get in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter and that things will play out, but West Florida had 14 first place votes in the last poll and Texas A&M Commerce only had 13. Since then, West Florida beat the #22 team by 10 and completely dominated them defensively and A&M Commerce went to double OT with an unranked team. How in the heck did A&M Commerce jump to 21 first place votes and West Florida only get 6 when UWF's win was far more convincing and impressive over a better team?
    Your point about the D2 ranking system is well taken but is applicable in multiple directions with allied questions. How can the #22 Carson Newman (TN) significantly dominate West Florida, rated #1, #2 or #3 depending on the poll, with its decided home field advantage, GSC officials and the Argos' receipt of quick gift points for an Eagle 9-6 halftime lead and also win game's the total yardage battle in a 19-9 loss and (1) be dropped out of the top 25 when four other 0-1 teams remain in the top 25, three of which lost to teams rated lower than West Florida and one to a FCS school? and since we both were at the game (2) how can you claim that West Florida "dominated them (CN) defensively?" Both defenses played well with Eagle turnovers and at least two major controversial calls factoring in the final point spread. The major difference maker between these two teams in this one honestly was the significant UWF D1T factor: the Division 1 Transfer factor. Your backup QB from Georgia was far more effective than your starter before his untimely ankle injury and helped lead your team back from what appeared to be a real halftime shock according to a number of your fans wanting to know where Carson Newman is. It was a tough defensive game by two really good teams each deserving a lot of credit nationally.

  14. Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluff City Eagle View Post
    Your point about the D2 ranking system is well taken but is applicable in multiple directions with allied questions. How can the #22 Carson Newman (TN) significantly dominate West Florida, rated #1, #2 or #3 depending on the poll, with its decided home field advantage, GSC officials and the Argos' receipt of quick gift points for an Eagle 9-6 halftime lead and also win game's the total yardage battle in a 19-9 loss and (1) be dropped out of the top 25 when four other 0-1 teams remain in the top 25, three of which lost to teams rated lower than West Florida and one to a FCS school? and since we both were at the game (2) how can you claim that West Florida "dominated them (CN) defensively?" Both defenses played well with Eagle turnovers and at least two major controversial calls factoring in the final point spread. The major difference maker between these two teams in this one honestly was the significant UWF D1T factor: the Division 1 Transfer factor. Your backup QB from Georgia was far more effective than your starter before his untimely ankle injury and helped lead your team back from what appeared to be a real halftime shock according to a number of your fans wanting to know where Carson Newman is. It was a tough defensive game by two really good teams each deserving a lot of credit nationally.
    I respect this response and think you might have gone to Harvard. If you indeed did, good luck to your Crimson on Saturday! In all seriousness, you make some great points and I fully agree that Carson-Newman is a top 25 team and have said as much in other posts following the game. UWF had a summer to prepare for that unusual offensive scheme and philosophy. I would NOT want to have only 1 week to plan and adjust to that.

    I don't know that after seeing Mike Beaudry only throw 6 passes that we can say the "QB from Georgia" was far more effective. His first pass attempt should have gone for a 20 yard pick 6. That isn't knocking Sam Vaughn, we will need to count on him and UWF is so lucky they have the depth to be able to put in a guy of his skill level when their QB1 goes down, but this isn't a situation like Hurts and Tua where Tua is better and they just keep him as a back up (referring to last year not week 1 of this year). Beaudry is a stud. Vaughn is still new and I hope to say the same about him as the season progresses.

    I understand how me saying that we "dominated the game" is a little triggering to you. I'm sure there is biased in me saying that so I'll admit that. I think in my mind Carson Newman processed no threat of any kind in the way of a passing attack so the whole game to me felt like when UWF gets a 2 score lead the game is going to start to be one sided quickly. That didn't happen until late in the 4th when Carson-Newman literally punted on 4th down instead of going for it which would be their only hope to keep the game going. They punted to UWF so UWF would take a knee and keep the score 19-9. C-N waved the white flag instead of risking a pick 6 and the score looking worse than it did at 19-9. UWF played C-N's game in the first half and that's kudos to C-N. UWF was absolutely awful in the red zone and that contributed to only 19 points when it could have been well into the 30's if they converted TD's some of those trips deep into the red zone. They also had a touchdown called back which held them under 20 points. I hope so much that a lot of the ugly red zone efforts were because of C-N's awesome red zone D and not something that is going to be a problem for the Argos all year. I think when I say UWF "dominated the game" I look at the 2nd half when every single C-N possession ended in a punt. It felt like it took a half for UWF to adjust to playing against such a different style than what they ever see. Once they did that, they played an entire half where they gave up 0 points and just received punts. Another reason I said "dominated" is some of what you are saying, the talent gap did seem to be a real thing. UWF can roll out new transfers to go with a team that already played for the National Championship last year. I think at one point we had an ex-Georgia player play action to an ex-Georgia Tech player and throw to an ex-Colorado player. In the year 2015 there wasn't even a West Florida football team that played other schools yet so the thought of us having those players is still something I'm adjusting to to be honest. I think Carson-Newman may run the table from here on out so that is far from me saying they aren't a very solid football team, I think they are. They would be in my top 25 without a doubt and if anything I would be inclined to move them up with the result of last Thursday.

    If I was a Carson-Newman fan...I would be thinking, "we led the #2 team in the country at the half and made them play our game on their field the first half. We only lost by 10 and have a whole season to get better before the playoffs." I would feel awesome with that.

    As a biased UWF fan and grad...I feel like we didn't play well, we played without our QB, we played an offense that is unlike any other team we will face this year, we couldn't score in the red zone to save our life and with all that said we dominated the game after the half and beat a legit top 20 caliber team by double digits.

    I hope we don't see you again in the playoffs, I think it would cost us players every time vs you guys. You guys create a game that is very very physical and frustrating. I would be surprised if you don't win your conference although I know Lenoir-Rhyne was very impressive as well. I talked to some C-N fans at the game and liked everyone that I met. They all seemed to know their football. After the game some weren't happy about that late 4th quarter punt. The fact that I'm saying I wouldn't want to play you guys again this season is nothing but a compliment.
    Go Argos!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    18,818
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: AFCA Division II Top 25 (9/3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Chin up! You're the highest-ranked 0-1 team in DivisionII!
    0-0 for you! Well, for Regional Rankings that is which are the ones that count. EWU is of course in the FCS national title hunt this year and I hope they get it. Does most of the nation know CWU lost practices due to unhealthy air from smoke too leading up to the game? State department of ecology is saying it may be an annual occurrence too after 2 years in a row of it for the next 10 or so years.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •