Thread: NCAA Helmet rule has to change

Contribute to D2

Default NCAA Helmet rule has to change

The helmet rule in the NCAA is a joke. If memory serves, the rule had 2 functions, the first being player safety, which is completely understandable. The second issue was players removing their own helmet to showboat after a big play.

Well, now players are having their helmets taken off by the opposing team, which is not being penalized, and it's a crock! The NCAA needs to remedy this situation, as it's now becoming strategy by opposing teams.

2. Default Re: NCAA Helmet rule has to change

If players lock the helmet in and wear it properly, it won't come off...

Default Re: NCAA Helmet rule has to change

Quote Originally Posted by spidermac View Post
    If players lock the helmet in and wear it properly, it won't come off...
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Well, now players are having their helmets taken off by the opposing team, which is not being penalized, and it's a crock! The NCAA needs to remedy this situation, as it's now becoming strategy by opposing teams.
    This has been happening since the rule was implemented.

Maybe all players need to have their helmets inspected before entering the field of play, and if a helmet ever comes off during a play, someone needs to be penalized every time. Either the player whose helmet came off gets penalized for improperly securing their equipment, or the opposing team player needs to be penalized properly for intentionally taking the other player's helmet off.

I forget what game it was, I was watching the other day. A D-linemen was fighting off a blocker and in on a tackle and his helmet came off. He did not dis engage from the runner and was flagged for a 15 yarder, unsportsmanlike.

It’s simple, fit it and make them stay buckled up for the duration of the game, minus half time. The other element is all the hair that some of these players are sporting. I have no idea how they even figure out what size to put on their heads with the size of the pony tails and bundles of hair that some of these young men display.

I’d hate to be the equipment manager and trainer, trying to keep those hats on.

7. Default Re: NCAA Helmet rule has to change

This happened to a CSU Pueblo D-line player Deyon Sizer twice last weekend against Mines.