Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NSIC Pick'Em Week #2 - Chat

Contribute to D2

Default NSIC Pick'Em Week #2 - Chat

Some tougher choices for me this week than last. Should be some good games.

Minot State at Northern State - Before last week I thought this would be an easier pick. As it turns out neither team performed to my expectations so that made the pick tough. I went with Northern at home. I still think Minot is going to have a better season than last, but that opinion may get modified if they don't show up again this week.

Upper Iowa at Concordia-St. Paul - Tough choice. Probably the toughest one of the week for me. I reserve my right to change my pick as I think more about it. Last year UIU showed they were building a defense. Last week it looked like that defense disappeared again. Concordia outplayed USF in almost every way but the final score last week. They were amped up and ready to play. They were tough in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I was very impressed with their new QB. But I'm not sure I'm on the CSP bandwagon just yet, or if it was more of USF making them look that good. Like I said, I may come back and change this one.

Sioux Falls at Winona State - As much as I hope my pick is wrong, I think USF has to great improve some things, especially on special teams. With not getting the soft north games to start the season they don't have the normal four games to "work out the kinks." My heart says USF but my head says Winona. Prove me wrong, Coo.

St. Cloud State at Minnesota-Crookston - This one was a slam dunk.

Minnesota State-Mankato at Augustana - I'm guessing Augie isn't going to come out flat for two weeks in a row. But I'm also guessing it isn't going to matter to the Mavericks.

Bemidji State at Mary - Mary played tough against SCSU and could have won that game. Was that an improved Mary or a down SCSU? I'm guessing a little of both, but I'm going to take the Green Beavers.

Wayne State at Southwest Minnesota State - Wayne played Winona a lot tougher than I suspected, and SMSU played Mankato a lot softer than I suspected. One of these years SMSU will figure out their defensive woes. I think this has the potential to be a pretty good game, but I'm going to take the Wildcats on the road.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth - Duluth at home? Not very many teams win there. I'm going with the safe pick.

Default Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #2 - Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
    Some tougher choices for me this week than last. Should be some good games.

Minot State at Northern State - Before last week I thought this would be an easier pick. As it turns out neither team performed to my expectations so that made the pick tough. I went with Northern at home. I still think Minot is going to have a better season than last, but that opinion may get modified if they don't show up again this week.

Upper Iowa at Concordia-St. Paul - Tough choice. Probably the toughest one of the week for me. I reserve my right to change my pick as I think more about it. Last year UIU showed they were building a defense. Last week it looked like that defense disappeared again. Concordia outplayed USF in almost every way but the final score last week. They were amped up and ready to play. They were tough in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I was very impressed with their new QB. But I'm not sure I'm on the CSP bandwagon just yet, or if it was more of USF making them look that good. Like I said, I may come back and change this one.

Sioux Falls at Winona State - As much as I hope my pick is wrong, I think USF has to great improve some things, especially on special teams. With not getting the soft north games to start the season they don't have the normal four games to "work out the kinks." My heart says USF but my head says Winona. Prove me wrong, Coo.

St. Cloud State at Minnesota-Crookston - This one was a slam dunk.

Minnesota State-Mankato at Augustana - I'm guessing Augie isn't going to come out flat for two weeks in a row. But I'm also guessing it isn't going to matter to the Mavericks.

Bemidji State at Mary - Mary played tough against SCSU and could have won that game. Was that an improved Mary or a down SCSU? I'm guessing a little of both, but I'm going to take the Green Beavers.

Wayne State at Southwest Minnesota State - Wayne played Winona a lot tougher than I suspected, and SMSU played Mankato a lot softer than I suspected. One of these years SMSU will figure out their defensive woes. I think this has the potential to be a pretty good game, but I'm going to take the Wildcats on the road.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth - Duluth at home? Not very many teams win there. I'm going with the safe pick.
    Agree with you on the picks and analysis, except I have SMSU over Wayne. A couple of tough choices this week, especially Minot/Northern. As I started to think it over, I found the old NFL films soundtrack playing in my head. Didn't help any but it did bring back some memories as a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by njmav1 View Post
    Agree with you on the picks and analysis, except I have SMSU over Wayne. A couple of tough choices this week, especially Minot/Northern. As I started to think it over, I found the old NFL films soundtrack playing in my head. Didn't help any but it did bring back some memories as a little kid.

NSU is 15-5-1 against Minot, won eight straight and the last time Minot beat the Wolves was back in 1992. After watching mostly Northern but did watch some Minot, if we clean it up we should win this one 38-13 (guess). Despite playing Duluth, Minot didn't do much of anything.

That said, if this is a loss, this could be the end of an era...
    Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 09-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by njmav1 View Post
    I found the old NFL films soundtrack playing in my head. Didn't help any but it did bring back some memories as a little kid.
    I remember the NFL theme song, "Confidence" that they would play on CBS. And of course, there are several Monday Night Football themes that most people have forgotten about.

Sioux Falls vs Winona st is easily game of the week early in the season. Possible playoff berths on the line here? Winner of this game is in a good position for the post season. From a maverick fan perspective, I would want Winona st to win. (Imo)

Exactly how I feel.

This was going to be a tough game regardless. From the moment the schedule was released months ago this stretch of WSU, SMSU, and Augie in the next 3 weeks was going to define the season. I think the showing last week against CSP only magnified it because it revealed some glaring holes. Will the Coo 'work out the kinks' with the QB, young defense, and special teams while finding a way to win? Or are these teams gonna pounce on the *****s in the armor? Excited to find out.

Wayne played WSU closer than I thought it'd be. That'd give me encouragement this week if it wasn't for USFs showing against the Golden Bears on Saturday.... Road game at the band box, advantage WSU. Looks like the Warriors are continuing their ball hawking ways from last year. Can our QB (Walters I'd presume) make good decisions and cut down on turnovers? And the special teams miscues have been rehashed on the USF thread.

Game of the week indeed between two playoff contenders. Although after last week the SMSU/WSC and UIU/CSP games look like they should be fun to watch.

Some say the most improvement is from week 1 to week 2. I sure hope so. Go get it Coo.
    Last edited by Otis Day; 09-04-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Wayne did play Winona tough, but four turnovers was too much to overcome. Should be a fun matchup with Southwest State

9. Default Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #2 - Chat

I like to live dangerously, and because I enjoy a good “didn’t see that coming,” good ol’ fashioned upset I am going with the Dragons. And, I just can’t go on record against them, looks like DoubleNickels is the same way, lol. In all seriousness, this game will be interesting to see how this year’s Dragons fair against one of the tougher teams. I would think it will be a very informative game.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    NSU is 15-5-1 against Minot, won eight straight and the last time Minot beat the Wolves was back in 1992. After watching mostly Northern but did watch some Minot, if we clean it up we should win this one 38-13 (guess). Despite playing Duluth, Minot did do much of anything.

I fully expect to see a different Wolves team this week at home. I would expect this game to be pretty low scoring, but I think NSU should control most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    Exactly how I feel.

This was going to be a tough game regardless. From the moment the schedule was released months ago this stretch of WSU, SMSU, and Augie in the next 3 weeks was going to define the season. I think the showing last week against CSP only magnified it because it revealed some glaring holes. Will the Coo 'work out the kinks' with the QB, young defense, and special teams while finding a way to win? Or are these teams gonna pounce on the *****s in the armor? Excited to find out.

Wayne played WSU closer than I thought it'd be. That'd give me encouragement this week if it wasn't for USFs showing against the Golden Bears on Saturday.... Road game at the band box, advantage WSU. Looks like the Warriors are continuing their ball hawking ways from last year. Can our QB (Walters I'd presume) make good decisions and cut down on turnovers? And the special teams miscues have been rehashed on the USF thread.

Game of the week indeed between two playoff contenders. Although after last week the SMSU/WSC and UIU/CSP games look like they should be fun to watch.

Some say the most improvement is from week 1 to week 2. I sure hope so. Go get it Coo.
    Winona gave up far too much through the air last week. That scares me. They will need to play far better to beat a team like USF.

With the game at home and hopefully some lessons learned from week 1, I gave the small edge to the Warriors, but a USF win wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by FootballMom4 View Post
    I like to live dangerously, and because I enjoy a good “didn’t see that coming,” good ol’ fashioned upset I am going with the Dragons. And, I just can’t go on record against them, looks like DoubleNickels is the same way, lol. In all seriousness, this game will be interesting to see how this year’s Dragons fair against one of the tougher teams. I would think it will be a very informative game.
    I initially went with Duluth (I'm not perfect) but didnt feel right about it so I changed it. The last 3 years it has been a game where the Dragons have had their chances but didnt execute when needed. I know we're young this year and sometimes that helps with the whole "didnt know the gravity of the game" and the young guns step up! I've seen it happen many times in March Madness! I'm ready for a statement win for Laqua and the Dragons and this could be it.

Thursday, September 6
    Minot State at Northern - a week ago I would have said easy Wolves victory, but I was surprised NSU didn't give Bemedji a better game. I got that one wrong. I see a fairly close game but like the home team NSU 27-21

Saturday, September 8
    Upper Iowa at Concordia-St. Paul - a week ago I did not think much of CSP - I was wrong. Obviously better. This is going to be a good one. Toss up. Peacocks win a crazy one 43-39

Sioux Falls at Winona State - game of the week. Just another example of good the NSIC has become. Great football conference. I like the home team is a battle. 21-17

St. Cloud State at Minnesota-Crookston not close - SCSU benefits from an easy schedule to start the season. SCSU wins 47-6

Minnesota State-Mankato at Augustana - Mankato is the real deal. Augie dodged a bullet last week so I expect them to play better this weekend. But, Kato is just too good. Kato wins 44-17

Bemidji State at Mary - Mary will go through some growing pains this year. Bemidji is always a solid program. They have it going there -- Beavers win 45-9

Wayne State at Southwest Minnesota State - always a shootout when these two play (last year excepted) and this year will be no difference. Supposed to be 73 and not windy perfect conditions for the 2 offenses so Nate of Wayne can catch 13 balls and Gimbel can throw for 427 Last team with the ball wins - Mustangs 51 Cats 44

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth - not close UMD wins 41-7

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    NSU is 15-5-1 against Minot, won eight straight and the last time Minot beat the Wolves was back in 1992. After watching mostly Northern but did watch some Minot, if we clean it up we should win this one 38-13 (guess). Despite playing Duluth, Minot didn't do much of anything.

NSU4alittlewhilelonger

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    NSU4alittlewhilelonger
    Not talking about me, haha

Minot @ Northern State: both teams disappointment me last week but northern has the better track record so I got them winning 24-14.

Upper Iowa @ Corcordia- St. Paul: I think their performance against USF was a fluke (imo) and upper Iowa laid a egg after the 1st quarter. I don’t think that happens again. Peacocks in this one 35-21.

Sioux Falls @ Winona St: easily and by far the game of the week that has playoff indications early in the season. Both teams had unexpected close wins and looked like they both had question marks, could very well be just first game jitters.. however I think Sioux Falls has more questions to answer, so I got winona in a close one 28-24.

St. Cloud St. @ Minnesota Crookston: yawn...... Crookston will go on to lose their 25th straight game. No score prediction needed.

Minnesota St. Mankato @ Augustana: Augie looks better so far than last year, but so are the Mavs. Mavs win 38-17.

Bemidji St. @ Mary: I didn’t think Mary would keep it (very) close to St. Cloud. I do believe Mary has a bright future but still not expecting much this year. 28-13 Beavers.

Wayne St. @ SMSU: Blake gimbel will throw the pigskin all over a rebuilding wildcats defense. Stangs get a win at home 35-24.

MSU Moorhead @ UMD: I knew DeLuth would be better this year but I didn’t think they would just run over minot like they did last week. Moorhead is rebuilding so I got Duluth winning 42-10

Who says ya can't teach an ol' dawg new tricks? Granted it took me awhile, and I haven't tried anythin' yet cuz there are no games on at 11:20 am MDT, but I believe I've finally figured out Amazon's Fire TV stick for the NSIC and Stretch Internet and hope to watch tonight's Minot/Northern game on a 50" TV rather than a 20" computer monitor.

If not, the air will certainly be blue no matter where you are.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

I will try and remember to post this on our forum....sometimes I get busy and forget. Column posting in a bit here. Later.

Thank you for the NSIC chart, Matt, very interesting. So much so, my "chat" is about them--I'm an ex-journalist/sports information director, so here goes...

Matt Witwicki -- Good lookin' fella, Confident, smart. Scarily so. Seems to have it all together despite freakishly cartoonish last name.
    Jeff "Pops" Papas -- Clearly the elder statesman, and with an 8-0 opening week, proves that "age has its privileges." Like knowing things. Good job Pops.
    Cuyler Meade -- Unsure the origin of 'Cuyler', never seen/met/heard of one before. Despite rocky opening week, he just LOOKS like that nice kid in study hall you can't help but like. Everyone's buddy. C'mon Cuyler, you can do it!
    Chad Courrier -- Since I've seen this same photo for a decade, I'm assuming Chad is really like 73. As my Mavs guy, he's a favorite each week, too. You can trust him, not just because of Mavs but because his last name has a lot of vowels.
    Austin Monteith -- At apparently 11 1/2 years old, opposite end of the spectrum to Jeff Papas. Young gun had slow start but it's a four quarter season. Question--do his parents let him stay up for night games?
    Matt Zimmer -- John Belushi Animal House character's offspring, Zimm has that work hard, play hard vibe. Facial hair just beats out Witt for manscaping trophy as did his picks Week One. Dude has game.
    Eric Peterson -- I knew an Eric Peterson who was--like all Eric Petersons--a blonde Lutheran. Not this one. This Eric's 8-0 start and "I am in charge of this press box" glare blows up all those Eric Petersons. Fun fact (because that's what sports reporters do), Peterson is the 63rd most popular surname in the United States.
    Massey Computer Ratings -- I'd expect an 8-0 from any artificial intelligence, so nothing really to offer. Let us know when someone's toaster oven picks an 8-0, THAT would be news.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast