Thread: CWU's Struggles vs EWU, Darien Williams Quits, Billy Greer Out

Default CWU's Struggles vs EWU, Darien Williams Quits, Billy Greer Out

I am too lazy to scroll through the Week 1 thread. So I am making this separate thread and I would appreciate you repeating any relevant CWU/EWU comments you made there on this thread for me.

I attended the game at EWU. First I will say the stadium, atmosphere, setting, and fans were all amazing. The red field was not bright with a glare like I expected. The setting is so pretty and the fan base there is wild and dedicated. Even being a blow out I enjoyed being there watching it

Now for the game. Things on offense went exactly as expected. Hennessey did everything possible. His OL was excellent despite missing center Reece Johnson out injured. Many occasions where he had plenty of time to make a pass. The running game was impressive with depth. Cedric Cooper made his debut with CWU and looked very good. He will have a major breakout year, no doubt. Michael Roots was the 2nd string, also making his CWU debut. He had some good blocks, too. Cummings and Tufaga were used very little aside from special teams. This just shows the depth CWU has. Those two will see more time in D2 play. The receivers, unfortunately, were showing their youth and inexperience. CWU's top returning receiver is Jojo Hillel, who did not play as he was suited up as a backup QB instead standing aside Christian Moore on the sidelines. Tony Archie, Tyson Rainwater, Kyler Ooley were out there. Archie had a deep ball in the endzone that he appeared to not run all-out for and he got chewed out for that one. True freshman Robert Mason also played. TE Sam Sanchez was the bright part, hauling in a TD and a couple other good catches up the middle. CWU was only able to play 1 tight end, as Dillon Sugg was on the sidelines with crutches and Christian Hill-Sanders was also hurt, while freshman Jon Cox left the team prior to the season for personal reasons. As the receivers gain experience, they will get pretty good, as they had the athleticism.

Now for the defense. CWU graduated Banner, Huerta, McIntosh, Elledge, Aumua, and Haynes. Haynes was the captain and QB of the defense. He kept things organized and led everything out there. Coming into the season, Christian Penny, Elisha Pa'aga, Billy Greer, Tevin Gray, Darien Williams, and Tyler Hasty were the key returners. Then Penny quit. And yesterday to make matters even somehow worse, Williams was not playing as he also quit. And worst of all, #44 Billy Greer was out injured. With no Greer our #44, there was zero leadership out there and it all looked really unorganized. So many huge gaps and wide open EWU receivers. It was too easy for them. The defensive line had a lot of redshirt freshmen playing, and were completely ineffective with no threat to Gabrud. RS freshman Kai Gamble was DE on one side, and Juco transfer Chase DeMoor on the other. DeMoor is huge out there at 6'5" and Gamble did have a fumble recovery. Still, neither of them even got close to a sack all game. Missing Greer was painful. Gabrud had all day to throw on every snap. Josh Wikel replaced Haynes at middle LB and he looked pretty good as well as Gray. Juco transfer Donte Hamilton appeared to be at LB after being a safety in the past. Tyren Sams was picked apart with Darien Williams gone. At safety, captain Chaz McKenzie missed a tackle on a TD but later showed his speed to stop a big play from being a TD. But the defense was simply really young and inexperienced. It was like a varsity offense vs JV defense out there.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

Default Re: CWU's Struggles vs EWU, Darien Williams Quits, Billy Greer Out

Thanks for the recap. Now I'm sort of glad I missed the frustration from that game. Hopefully they bounce back against WOU in Monmouth this Saturday.

3. Default Re: CWU's Struggles vs EWU, Darien Williams Quits, Billy Greer Out

Just popping in here for no real reason except to say.....

What the heck is the deal with CWU dropping from #9 to #16 in the coach's poll? Losing to an FCS opponent should not under any circumstances penalize a Division II team!

That is all.

4. Default Re: CWU's Struggles vs EWU, Darien Williams Quits, Billy Greer Out

That AFCA poll I have noticed changes so much. One loss even to a good or D1 team can randomly drop a team by a lot. All that matters is the regional poll that comes out later in the season though!

I saw a report on local news this morning which is worrisome and may effect things as CWU lost practices due to the smoke now 2 years in a row and a home game last year. They were talking of course about here locally in the Columbia Basin, but mentioned that they spoke to the state Department of Ecology as it is the 2nd year in a row with unhealthy air and the state says they expect this to be an annual occurrence now in summer for at least the next 10 years with the rate that wildfires have increased over the last 10-20 years to nearly double what they were.

While some of this is on man in not clearing out dangerous dry underbrush like they used to, I'd have to say drought conditions with no rain over the summer months play a huge role too. The fires spread faster with it so dry whether they be man or natural in cause due to the dangerously dry conditions.

My thoughts, CWU has built two new practice fields and perhaps one of them at least should have a tent put over it to practice in both bad weather conditions such as rain like in the UNA game last year and snow, but also when these smokes come so and have a vent system to clear out the smoke and filter it. Maybe something like what NFL team's put over their practice fields would work.

6. Default Re: CWU's Struggles vs EWU, Darien Williams Quits, Billy Greer Out

An indoor facility would also be something to look into. Especially if they ever decide to go D1. But CWU cannot continue to lose practice time or keep driving over the mountains to practice because of smoke

Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    An indoor facility would also be something to look into. Especially if they ever decide to go D1. But CWU cannot continue to lose practice time or keep driving over the mountains to practice because of smoke
    While talking about D1 programs, https://www.athleticbusiness.com/gym...-facility.html details what is involved. If done right it could also benefit the students as well as the football team as a rec center and perhaps even allow indoor track and field too. The cost though is well above the 6 million for the stadium renovations for one like these.

I fully agree with you and I hope the AD does to about losing practices to smoke especially if the state ecology department is saying it will continue for the foreseeable future even down here in the mid-Columbia which is much farther from the mountains.
    Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 09-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Eastern Oregon is building a fieldhouse as well as a new outdoor track.