Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Lindenwood at MSSU

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Lindenwood at MSSU

    I'll go ahead and start this one, even though the sting of yesterday isn't really gone yet.

    I saw a lot of great things from the Lions. Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

    Successes to build on:
    Defensive line play: WU didn't have much room to run all night. They also got enough pressure on Peterson to force a few bad throws. A couple were picked off.
    Overall defense: Linebackers and DB did there job for the most part too. A couple of blown coverages did hurt us, but that will be corrected.
    Cade Brister: He threw for TD, ran for one, completed 66% of his passes and ran for 90 yards (not net).

    Need to improve:
    Special teams tackling. Letcher looked like he could make you miss in phone booth. I really do hope he's that good and it wasn't our poor effort in tackling.
    Running Game: Aside from scrambles and designed draws by Brister, we were stifled up front in the 2nd half. WU wasn't that big so this really concerns me. We have some big boys. I'm not certain what WU was running in the first half, but I sat in the endzone seating in the 2nd half and it looked like WU was running more of a 3-4 or 3-5 and blitzing the crap out of us. As a former OL, I know I hated playing against 3-4's because it got confusing. This is just speculation though.




    Hopefully the Lions can address these shortcomings and have a chance to really sharpen things up against a very young MSSU squad.
    Cool Story Bro

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    MSSU better come out and compete a lot better than they did in their last game, or it could/should be the last game where Denver Johnson is the HC at MSSU.

    I guess I just expected them not to get boat raced by Kearney....and this could get pretty ugly quickly unless the D gets some stops and the offense decides that it might as well score when they are on the field.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    I listened to the Jed Stugart show last night; went over last week’s loss to Washburn, the highlights to be excited about, the things we need to improve on, and looking ahead to MSSU.
    I was partially correct in noting the adjustments that WU made that gave us trouble in the 2nd half. They didn’t go to a 3-5, rather a 3-3 stack. He did say we simply need to execute better and need better individual effort in most cases though. I think uncertainty in assignments creates less than 100% effort in execution. We have guys that CAN play on the OL, but we need to find 5 that WILL play with a relentless motor no matter the score, quarter, or assignment. Stugart mentioned they went 1 vs 1’s a lot this week. Considering LU has probably one of the better DL’s in the league, hopefully we’ll see better execution from them this week.
    He also mentioned the special teams tackling which was the other major deciding factor in the game. WU’s average starting field position was the Lion’s 45. Details like that HAVE to be cleaned up if we’re going to be serious about contending.

    Looking towards MSSU, and their performance vs. UNK, one would think that LU has an opportunity to work on a lot of things. I would expect that MSSU improves their effort and execution dramatically from week 1 to 2 considering their youth. They still seem very small across the lines and I expect them to have problems when they have the ball with the Lindenwood defensive front. Offensively, it’s going to be hard to say. WU’s line was smallish as well, and LU didn’t handle them well at all.
    In the end I think LU’s defense wins this game with a stellar effort and the offense finds just enough room to come away with the W.

    Lindenwood-20
    MSSU-7
    Cool Story Bro

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    I am hopeful that we see some significant progress in this game as for as the defense, but also the offense. You cant have your defense on the field the entire game and expect them to play at a high level....MSSU needs to sustain some drives and score.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,343
    Rep Power
    640208

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    The Elwood dline seemed OK against Washburn, but the rest of the D seemed slow or maybe just out of position a lot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    The Elwood dline seemed OK against Washburn, but the rest of the D seemed slow or maybe just out of position a lot.
    They have good team speed, but they did have some blown assignments.... long TD.... some 3rd/4th and long conversions. It got better as the game went along. They did manage to pick 2 passes off and CJ Bevins (LB) did get a few TFL.

    I feel good about our defense this year. The offense is going to take some time to get going because they're so young. They will be good, hopefully sooner than later.
    Cool Story Bro

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Cool Story Bro

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Ok.... so this game gets the MIAA Saturday spotlight!
    Cool Story Bro

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    60552

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig50 View Post
    Ok.... so this game gets the MIAA Saturday spotlight!
    Good one Sig! I might watch a little of the game, like the 1st Q.

  10. Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Good one Sig! I might watch a little of the game, like the 1st Q.
    I might watch the first quarter too and I have a ticket to the game. If we're down 21-0 after one quarter, perhaps they'll start playing a movie on the new video board? Anyone for Smokey and the Bandit? Cannonball Run? Or how about Deliverance?

    He got a purty mouth, ain't he!?!?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    J-Town, MO
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    I might watch the first quarter too and I have a ticket to the game. If we're down 21-0 after one quarter, perhaps they'll start playing a movie on the new video board? Anyone for Smokey and the Bandit? Cannonball Run? Or how about Deliverance?

    He got a purty mouth, ain't he!?!?
    If it is 21-0 after the first quarter....then I think Denver Johnson and the AD need to stay in the locker room and starting looking for new jobs....and if that doesnt happen then maybe there needs to be a shake up at the top of MSSU. I doubt that the president (who is more invested in sports than any other president in recent memory) will let another beating go......

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moberly, MO
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    40330

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    If LU has one of the better D-lines in this league they will win by much more than 20 - 7. If you have an elite Dline then this game will get ugly fast.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,343
    Rep Power
    640208

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Is this one in St Chuck or Joplin?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Posts
    4,472
    Rep Power
    182850

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Is this one in St Chuck or Joplin?
    Joplin.
    Cool Story Bro

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lindenwood at MSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig50 View Post
    I listened to the Jed Stugart show last night; went over last week’s loss to Washburn, the highlights to be excited about, the things we need to improve on, and looking ahead to MSSU.
    I was partially correct in noting the adjustments that WU made that gave us trouble in the 2nd half. They didn’t go to a 3-5, rather a 3-3 stack. He did say we simply need to execute better and need better individual effort in most cases though. I think uncertainty in assignments creates less than 100% effort in execution. We have guys that CAN play on the OL, but we need to find 5 that WILL play with a relentless motor no matter the score, quarter, or assignment. Stugart mentioned they went 1 vs 1’s a lot this week. Considering LU has probably one of the better DL’s in the league, hopefully we’ll see better execution from them this week.
    He also mentioned the special teams tackling which was the other major deciding factor in the game. WU’s average starting field position was the Lion’s 45. Details like that HAVE to be cleaned up if we’re going to be serious about contending.

    Looking towards MSSU, and their performance vs. UNK, one would think that LU has an opportunity to work on a lot of things. I would expect that MSSU improves their effort and execution dramatically from week 1 to 2 considering their youth. They still seem very small across the lines and I expect them to have problems when they have the ball with the Lindenwood defensive front. Offensively, it’s going to be hard to say. WU’s line was smallish as well, and LU didn’t handle them well at all.
    In the end I think LU’s defense wins this game with a stellar effort and the offense finds just enough room to come away with the W.

    Lindenwood-20
    MSSU-7
    If your score prediction is accurate, then they will be popping champagne bottles in the MSSU locker room after the game for only giving up 20 points.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •