Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washburn at Lindenwood

Contribute to D2

Default Washburn at Lindenwood

Well....we're within a week so let's fire this bad boy up!

The team has named their captains for the year and it's pretty telling as far as who's won the starting QB spot.

https://twitter.com/LindenwoodFB/sta...20943385374723

Cade Brister- QB
    Eric Henneman- TE
    Jonathan Harris- DL
    Darrius Williams- DB

I can't comment on WU much yet except that they have a stud a CB and would be wise to very careful on his side of the field.

As far as LU goes, I can comment on what I hope or what I know... truth is, I don't know much. New QB, new RBs, revamped OL, and new WR's.

Considering last year's QB has been moved to WR, I think it's safe to say we should expect some good things from the RS-Fr. He was a local stud that had a few other MIAA schools pinning after him and was one of the Post Dispatch local Super 30's. There aren't very many D2 schools that get cracks at kids on that list. In the past, when they have, it's been UCM or NWMSU. Looks like the future for LU FB starts Thursday night!

I'd expect to see some combination of Cam Sanders, Nash Sutherlin, and Ethan Stackewics out of the back field. All 3 are very talented backs that bring a little something different. Cam is a very big physical back with top end speed once you get him in space. He'll be tough to tackle and tough to catch. He has the ability to wear a defense down. Nash is a slashing scat back that can make something out of nothing and can house it on any play. Stack is more balance, but definitely more towards the physical side.

Our OL will be bigger for sure. Does that mean better... we'll see. I think the depth has improved dramtically as well. I know we have some true freshman studs, but hoping we don't see them for another 1-2 years. I would expect to see a starting 5 of Flye-Sadler, Green, Beddow, Pumphrey, and Sellers. That combination will yield an OL with an average size of 6'5" and 304lbs.

The WR position will likely be the biggest question mark having graduated so much production. We really don't return anyone with any significant amount of stats. Smith, Silvio and Hogan are our seniors of the group and I would expect that they'd all get some playing time. Smith has very nice length. Hogan and Silvio are smaller grittier type WRs. In camp, I thought that Tyler Chandler looked very good. Almost Deantrell Prince like... could likely fill his versatile role. We also have some depth and talent at TE with Mason Bendigo having spent an entire year training at the position and Eric Henneman being eligible now.

The defensive side of the ball has questions to answer mainly in the secondary. Losing talents like Rogers and Triggs is tough. I think Indiana transfer Green and captain Williams are assumed to be starting. The rest of the bunch may take a few games to shake out. Jed brought in some very talented Safeties in Little, Charles, Rabay, and Holman. I'm hoping our DL will be able to get enough pressure on QBs to make this unit's job easier!

Our LBs should be solid with a healthy Drew Seers, who until injury, was on pace to break future LU HOF Connor Harris' freshman defensive records. Drew has a chance to be every bit as good as Connor. While not as much of a "natural linebacker" (I think connor was born suited up looking for someone to tackle), Seers is a longer more sideline to sideline type player. He also seemed to have a knack for making splash plays. Bivens and/or Blanchard should fill the other LB spot but I wouldn't be surprised to see Terlizzi in there based on his highlights. I wasn't every really able to identify him when watching practice though.

Our DL should be a strength in that we're returning all MIAA Jonathan Harris and have given him help with freak of nature Uchenna Egwuonwu. Davis and Knox will likely rotate into the DT position; possibly true freshman Weary as well. Having either Sobotka or Conners as depth will be a very nice luxury.

I'd like to wait until the depth charts come out to offer a prediction, but I'm impatient.

ASSUMING that the Lions are able to adequately answer questions in the secondary and at WR, this should be an improved team from last year. Considering the way last year's game ended, I'm hoping LU will be able shore up enough little things that they reverse the outcome. It is also nice have your first game at home :)

Lions-23
    WU-21
    Last edited by bigsig50; 08-24-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    Cool Story Bro

Default Re: Washburn at Lindenwood

So are there any WU posters left?

bbb?
    Bodacious?

WU game notes are up.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...Lindenwood.pdf

No real surprises in depth chart on LU's side in my opinion.
    Cool Story Bro

Those game notes are very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washburn does a great job with game notes, programs, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Washburn does a great job with game notes, programs, etc...
    From what ive overheard the SID works really hard on programs for award purposes but the game stats / player post season accolades is riddled with errors and inconsistencies.

Also Bods by 8

Washburn is so overrated in this league. I hope Lindenwood steps up and takes care of business at home.
    Roll Chos!

Quote Originally Posted by RollChos View Post
    Washburn is so overrated in this league. I hope Lindenwood steps up and takes care of business at home.
    How is being picked 7th, bottom half of the league, overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by RollChos View Post
    WU has been down, but had a great run of being near the top under the same coaching staff. I think that's why they get some respect early in the season. Pitt is in the same boat. Been mediocre all but 2 to 4 of the last 10 years, but get mentioned in top half more often than not.

Lwood had the bods number in years when the bods were better on paper. This is the first year Elwood looks like the shoe in, so they'll probably lose.

WU has been down, but had a great run of being near the top under the same coaching staff. I think that's why they get some respect early in the season. Pitt is in the same boat. Been mediocre all but 2 to 4 of the last 10 years, but get mentioned in top half more often than not.
    They had some studs from from 04/05-12. Since then they have not fielded the same caliber of teams. The drop off is due to qb play and dline.

Shurig and his staff does a good job of developing a physically and mentally tough team. As long as he's there, they'll always be considered a dark horse candidate to compete for the conference title at the very least. As a fan of one of the bottom dwellers, I'd be ecstatic for what WU has....(albeit only for so long until I wanted more).

Here's LU's game notes. I like the new format this year!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...27/Program.pdf
    Cool Story Bro

Someone go by the nursing home and wake trips B up.

Coach Stugart is serious about keeping the STL talent at home!

https://www.facebook.com/LindenwoodL...0682668799457/

This just scratches the surface on this staff's investment into the local community. A lot more behind the scenes work being done too.

Fired up for Thursday night!

This may be the weakest looking Washburn Dline I can recall. But Lindenwood wont have the punch to drop them. Ichabods win by 8. Quietly the bods have a nice little offense. For the first time in a while they have a clear cut starting qb. The line is big and strong. WR they have speed. And they have solid backs.

I dont think that lindenwood has the horses up front to really expose WUs weak dline play.

Bigsig u wanted a fight, here I am

Really weird that Bodacious and Triple B have not made an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    This may be the weakest looking Washburn Dline I can recall. But Lindenwood wont have the punch to drop them. Ichabods win by 8. Quietly the bods have a nice little offense. For the first time in a while they have a clear cut starting qb. The line is big and strong. WR they have speed. And they have solid backs.

I dont think that lindenwood has the horses up front to really expose WUs weak dline play.

Bigsig u wanted a fight, here I am
    Blake Peterson was very solid at QB last year for WU, but didn't light the world on fire. In fact his numbers were similar to Najee Jackson's with arguably a better OL in front of him. I can't ague with the weapons that Peterson is going to have. He has a nice weapon returning in Brania-Hopp at WR and Jace Williams returning gives him a capable big body to throw to as well. Zach Willis will also be a handful to deal with being a strong runner that's short enough to get lost behind WU's massive OL. I've been convinced the the DL will be a strength of LU's this year, and they'll be tested right away.

There's certainly more proven players on the WU offense than the LU offense.

LU is basically coming into this game with an entirely new offense other than a couple of offensive linemen. My feeling is that this unit has the capability to be much better than last year's though. It will likely be done differently this year though. Last year we leaned heavily on some deep veteran talent at WR. That's simply not here anymore. This year, our OL is MUCH bigger. I'd imagine we're going to be seeing a much more run heavy philosophy compared to last year. I think we're going to be able to find some room on the ground which will help take pressure off of our Freshman QB.

I still say LU by 3
    Cool Story Bro

Denver Johnson just gave Lindenwood a shout out in his press conference. Question was to the effect of how important it is to get off to a strong start with NWMSU in week 3.

His answer was along the lines of 'Well, week 2 is pretty tough too if you look at what they've been doing in recruiting' (paraphrased)

I do think that staff will turn that program into something as long as they can win the state st. Louis. These two always have great games

Someone go by the nursing home and wake trips B up.
    you young scum! the Great BBB has been living in airports this past month with zero time for anything but with luck will be listening to the Washburn victory tonight. bye and bye he will check in on the UCO victory in Pitt and the Tiger lashing of the Red Asses at Half-Mile High Stadium in Hays.
    Last edited by Bigbadbod; 08-30-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast