Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 142

Thread: Region One National Championship

  1. #1

    Default Region One National Championship

    IUP choked away the best chance the region has had to making a NC appearance last year. The year shepherd went they went through GVSU and a VERY solid SRU squad that year. Do you think there will ever be a better opportunity for a region one team to win it than last year? All the perennial powers were literally down including teams in the PSAC. What do you guys think?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    I think IUP were who we thought they were. Winning a championship is never easy, but a bad day makes a whole lot of promise look bad.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,518
    Rep Power
    70284

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    I'm going to defend IUP to a degree. I don't think anyone was able to do a good job scouting West Florida last year. Say what you want about all those FBS transfers, at that level they're not used to playing 15 games. West Florida's QB was also super lucky. There were some tremendous throws into great coverage that were still caught. I have to think that out of 3 games IUP would have won one maybe two.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Why do you say that was the best shot?

    IUP was the best team in SR1 last year but that hardly makes one a national title contender as history clearly shows.

    The reputatuion of SR1 on a national level is not good.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I'm going to defend IUP to a degree. I don't think anyone was able to do a good job scouting West Florida last year. Say what you want about all those FBS transfers, at that level they're not used to playing 15 games. West Florida's QB was also super lucky. There were some tremendous throws into great coverage that were still caught. I have to think that out of 3 games IUP would have won one maybe two.
    IUP offense could not throw AT ALL was the deciding factor at the end of the day. Their defense also got exposed a bit by Assumption which showed a few *****s in the armor that hasn't been seen scheme wise. WF took Assumptions game plan and executed it with better athletes. Im not denying WF as a great team but there was 3-4 games of tape of them losing. IUP should have won that game period, Their coaches didnt have them prepared properly at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,204
    Rep Power
    21958

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I'm going to defend IUP to a degree. I don't think anyone was able to do a good job scouting West Florida last year. Say what you want about all those FBS transfers, at that level they're not used to playing 15 games. West Florida's QB was also super lucky. There were some tremendous throws into great coverage that were still caught. I have to think that out of 3 games IUP would have won one maybe two.
    West Florida was 5-3 at one point during the season.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    West Florida was 5-3 at one point during the season.
    Thank You horror Child there was tape on how to beat them its not like they were just killing folks and came in undefeated.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    IUP offense could not throw AT ALL was the deciding factor at the end of the day. Their defense also got exposed a bit by Assumption which showed a few *****s in the armor that hasn't been seen scheme wise. WF took Assumptions game plan and executed it with better athletes. Im not denying WF as a great team but there was 3-4 games of tape of them losing. IUP should have won that game period, Their coaches didnt have them prepared properly at all.
    When a team loses, its normally the coaches fault. But WF was just the better team.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,204
    Rep Power
    21958

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Why do you say that was the best shot?

    IUP was the best team in SR1 last year but that hardly makes one a national title contender as history clearly shows.

    The reputatuion of SR1 on a national level is not good.
    Agreed. Shepherd was the best shot in the past 20+ years since they actually got to the national championship game.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,204
    Rep Power
    21958

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Thank You horror Child there was tape on how to beat them its not like they were just killing folks and came in undefeated.
    Made the playoffs with just a 7-3 record. Impressive that their final six games were all on the road. That has to take a toll on a team.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    The best team in SR1, yearly, would struggle in that conference.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    WF would have been undefeated, EASILY, in SR1 last year. IUP was the only chance to beat them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,507
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    My feeling is it will happen in .......the next 5 years and everyone will slap their head and shout "DAMN, I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING !!!" After all in recent years the CUBS, CAPS and IGGLES have won. All results occur in time.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Money is the key. Always has been and always will be. IUP is inching closer to being fully funded. That will give them a better shot.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    98,177
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    IUP choked away the best chance the region has had to making a NC appearance last year. The year shepherd went they went through GVSU and a VERY solid SRU squad that year. Do you think there will ever be a better opportunity for a region one team to win it than last year? All the perennial powers were literally down including teams in the PSAC. What do you guys think?
    Kier just tossed another INT.

  16. Default Re: Region One National Championship

    It’s very flawed logic to assume that because the “perennial powers” weren’t around at the end of the playoffs last year, that the road was easier or was SR1s best chance to get to an NC game. The Grand Valley team that Shepherd beat was nowhere near the same caliber Grand Valley team as the ones that played for and won NCs.

    IUP certainly had a great opportunity last year, but hosting a national semifinal is no guarantee you’ll win it as Cal can attest. West Florida came out of a brutal conference and region. They were beyond battle tested. IUP was very good but definitely not without flaws. The better team won.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Agreed. Shepherd was the best shot in the past 20+ years since they actually got to the national championship game.
    That shepherd teams rolls through region one and wins a championship. They ran into the most successful senior class in D2 history in NWMSU.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    That shepherd teams rolls through region one and wins a championship. They ran into the most successful senior class in D2 history in NWMSU.
    I'd say WSSU had the best chance. They could have won, but Valdosta beat em with the bubble screen and the Kick game.

    As far as this year, IUP probably has a bit easier path. Most of the playoff teams from last year have big question marks this year. only ODU, who missed the playoffs, barely, looks to be improved. IUP should be as good or better than last year. Sure, there will be surprises, injuries, and occasionally players regress, get senioitis, and under preform, but that's why we play the games, right ?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I'd say WSSU had the best chance. They could have won, but Valdosta beat em with the bubble screen and the Kick game.

    As far as this year, IUP probably has a bit easier path. Most of the playoff teams from last year have big question marks this year. only ODU, who missed the playoffs, barely, looks to be improved. IUP should be as good or better than last year. Sure, there will be surprises, injuries, and occasionally players regress, get senioitis, and under preform, but that's why we play the games, right ?
    you guys really think WFU was that good last year? IUP was just as good just not coached nearly as well. Player for player you guys are giving them way too much credit. I know old homer was always on Lenny but on a serious note his abysmal QB play took you guys out of the game. When you guys needed him to command the huddle make plays with his arm he just couldn't. I think you guys are giving WFU too much credit. IUP have a gun slinger at QB instead of a runningback you make an appearance in the NC game.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Region One National Championship

    Is Lenny blocking you on Twitter again?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •