Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

  1. #1

    Default Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Yep, I'm coming out of the wood work to shed some light on how bad things are on the hilltop (again.)

    How in the heck do you screw over the best player in school history? A local guy who truly loves the school, community, and program.

    More broken promises and a bunch of lies seems to be the norm from ole Roger WHY LIE?

    I feel bad for Amedro. Hurts even worse when you are getting screwed over by your own alma mater and a program you truly love. I hope I live long enough to see some actual changes take place such as CLEANING HOUSE. I'd love to donate and get involved with the program but that will never happen with the current staff running things.

    This staff not only does less with more, but they have no clue how to treat people. It's past time for a change on the Hilltop.

    Only two coaches worth keeping are Bonar and Hopkins.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Well that sucks. Any specifics on what the issue is beyond general lies?

    I note Bonar is not listed as on the coaching staff. I'd add Kellar to the keep "list" along with Hopkins and MAYBE Hill depending on how the DL performs this year. Other than them, I wouldn't lose much sleep if none were back next year. Year after year WLU seems to do less with more in their football program. Yea, I know that the "players play the game" but were talking several groups of players that the bulk of this staff brought in and that the bulk of this staff had years to "coach up" with disappointing results year after year after year... One, two or even three year slide you can maybe point at players that didn't panout but when you are heading into the 8th year since you had a truly good year and your crowning achievement over that period is two 6-5 seasons, you've got to look at who has been there over that time.

    I'm feeling a 3 to 4 win season coming on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upper Frog Hollow, WV
    Posts
    1,755
    Rep Power
    1056

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Boat, your 3 or 4 wins prediction is about double to what history would suggest. Remember the count down......6-5-4-3. If history is correct, a 2 win season is coming up.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    How does one run program there run so successfully and the other is such a trainwreck?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Boat, your 3 or 4 wins prediction is about double to what history would suggest. Remember the count down......6-5-4-3. If history is correct, a 2 win season is coming up.
    Hahaha...I'm being optomistic!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    How does one run program there run so successfully and the other is such a trainwreck?
    THAT is the million $ question. Rash of injuries and breaking in a new QB only work as excuses for so long. Only thing consistent during this 8 year slide is the staff. Soooooo......

  7. #7

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    He’s a taking a better job

  8. #8

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Who knows the actual story but also who really can do much about it.

    The D2 assistant falls in to one of two camps ... the young, up-and-comer willing to work for nothing or the old guy who loves the job and the money is a non-factor. Odds are the wife is the bread winner.

    I read on here all the time people yapping about assistants leaving. Dang right. First chance they get. Follow the coin. Unless you are the head dog at a very select few D2 schools ..... Follow that coin every chance you get.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 08-18-2018 at 10:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Who knows the actual story but also who really can do much about it.

    The D2 assistant falls in to one of two camps ... the young, up-and-comer willing to work for nothing or the old guy who loves the job and the money is a non-factor. Odds are the wife is the bread winner.

    I read on here all the time people yapping about assistants leaving. Dang right. First chance they get. Follow the coin. Unless you are the head dog at a very select few D2 schools ..... Follow that coin every chance you get.
    Money issue but also a lying issue. What I've been told is that he took the QB coach job for a pretty low salary with the promise that when money became available, they would raise his salary to what was "normal" for a QB coach. He was also promised to be the next OC after a couple of years as the QB coach. He was a little upset when Kellar was brought on board (and PAID) as the OC but understanding that the team just couldn't turn down a coach with his pedigree. Apparently he went in to the HC office and asked for a raise to industry normal for a QB coach or he'd quit and suddenly the HC was able to come us with $15K on the spot. Remember, he had been asking for a raise for several year and been told that there just wasn't any money...but when he threatened to quit, the money instantly became available. Kind of made him wonder if there really was no money as the HC had told him the last couple of years or if the HC just didn't want to give it to him.

    Not like WLU is a plum position right now. After starting his first 5 years as a HC with a 860 winning %, the current HC now stands 74-70. If WLU finishes at 3 wins or less this year and he falls below 500. Average number of wins for WLU over the last SEVEN years - 4.

    Concerning "following the coin," I don't disagree but a coach needs to be careful because a big part of who he is his reputation. If you bounce from program to program year after year chasing the dollar, you get a reputation for being "that" kind of coach. Coaches looking to build a coaching team that is going to be around for a while are probably going to shy away from guys with the rep of leaving for any program willing to offer them an extra hundred dollars. These guys are like coaching ghosts...here today, gone tomorrow. leaving no footprints and having almost no impact on a program beyond plugging a hole on the staff.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-19-2018 at 08:54 AM.

  10. Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
    Yep, I'm coming out of the wood work to shed some light on how bad things are on the hilltop (again.)

    How in the heck do you screw over the best player in school history? A local guy who truly loves the school, community, and program.

    More broken promises and a bunch of lies seems to be the norm from ole Roger WHY LIE?

    I feel bad for Amedro. Hurts even worse when you are getting screwed over by your own alma mater and a program you truly love. I hope I live long enough to see some actual changes take place such as CLEANING HOUSE. I'd love to donate and get involved with the program but that will never happen with the current staff running things.

    This staff not only does less with more, but they have no clue how to treat people. It's past time for a change on the Hilltop.

    Only two coaches worth keeping are Bonar and Hopkins.
    It would be interesting to hear your insight on each coach and why you think they should go. There shouldn’t be any reason you can’t give us your expertise.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Money issue but also a lying issue. What I've been told is that he took the QB coach job for a pretty low salary with the promise that when money became available, they would raise his salary to what was "normal" for a QB coach. He was also promised to be the next OC after a couple of years as the QB coach. He was a little upset when Kellar was brought on board (and PAID) as the OC but understanding that the team just couldn't turn down a coach with his pedigree. Apparently he went in to the HC office and asked for a raise to industry normal for a QB coach or he'd quit and suddenly the HC was able to come us with $15K on the spot. Remember, he had been asking for a raise for several year and been told that there just wasn't any money...but when he threatened to quit, the money instantly became available. Kind of made him wonder if there really was no money as the HC had told him the last couple of years or if the HC just didn't want to give it to him.

    Not like WLU is a plum position right now. After starting his first 5 years as a HC with a 860 winning %, the current HC now stands 74-70. If WLU finishes at 3 wins or less this year and he falls below 500. Average number of wins for WLU over the last SEVEN years - 4.

    Concerning "following the coin," I don't disagree but a coach needs to be careful because a big part of who he is his reputation. If you bounce from program to program year after year chasing the dollar, you get a reputation for being "that" kind of coach. Coaches looking to build a coaching team that is going to be around for a while are probably going to shy away from guys with the rep of leaving for any program willing to offer them an extra hundred dollars. These guys are like coaching ghosts...here today, gone tomorrow. leaving no footprints and having almost no impact on a program beyond plugging a hole on the staff.
    Easy to say. Hard to live.

    When you get in to the profession you know the path. Poverty-level living isn't real appealing. It is expected assistants at this level are in and out. Who wants to work full-time for $35,000 a year?

    I agree with your points for a head coach. The assistants just want to survive. They bounce. That's the profession.

    It's a great gig but a tough gig.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    I do agree...to a point. But moving every year for a few dollars more has its negative side as well. Particularly when a coach does it a lot.

    That said, if its for a big salary increase or a move up in "rank" (Position coach to a coordinator or from DII to a D1), no problem. Coach would be foolish to NOT do that regardless of weather he has been at a program for 6 years or 6 months.

    But none of that is the case with Amedro. His issue was mostly trust and being promised certain things and then the HC not following through.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upper Frog Hollow, WV
    Posts
    1,755
    Rep Power
    1056

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Is Bonar still there? He is not listed on the coaches roster.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Is Bonar still there? He is not listed on the coaches roster.
    Looks like they’re updating the roster often so that probably means he’s gone too. They’re both JM and WL grads and I think played together at both schools so they’re probably good friends. Not a good look if Boat is right.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    Looks like they’re updating the roster often so that probably means he’s gone too. They’re both JM and WL grads and I think played together at both schools so they’re probably good friends. Not a good look if Boat is right.
    When you have two coaches that are alumni of your best team AND you went out of your way to trumpet when you hired them leave at the same time, it makes you wonder what the heck is going on. Of course, I've been wondering that for at least the last four years!!!!

  16. Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    False alarm. I was at practice yesterday and Bonar's still there. They just went through a (much needed) website redesign on their athletic site so the roster thing must be just a glitch. He's still listed as a coach on the main page's staff directory.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    That’s good news, he’s back on the roster now too plus two new GA’s.

    On a side note it’s amazing how much a D2 roster changes in so little time. I swear a third of the roster is different since the media guide came out.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    He’s back on the roster for some reason

  19. #19

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    Amedro is?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,931
    Rep Power
    228881

    Default Re: Amedro Steps Down At West Lib

    No...Bonar is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •