Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cal Vs ODU

Default Cal Vs ODU

I think the PSAC is sleeping on this young Cal team. They still have athletes just inexperienced. I think they will shock a lot of teams. They must survive the 3 week gauntlet into the Coal bowl.

Default Re: Cal Vs ODU

A team that annually finishes in the Top 3 of their conference/division doesn't "shock" anybody. Every team that plays Cal knows they'll be getting a game.

This bunker mentality really must exist down there on the Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    A team that annually finishes in the Top 3 of their conference/division doesn't "shock" anybody. Every team that plays Cal knows they'll be getting a game.

This bunker mentality really must exist down there on the Mon.
    its not a bunker mentality this is the first year that there is zero remains of the old regimes players on the roster. Coach Dunn has been winning with Kellar's players he didn't recruit any of those guys that won the championship or lead the playoff run last year. So that's why the vibe is different. Nobody knows what to expect out of this team. Is Coach Dunn the real deal? In 16 that Cal team was loaded and was going to win the PSAC if a cardboard box coached them. The fact they didn't make a final four appearance is a shame. Cal has been 0-3 under Dunn blowing 17 point leads or more. Shepherd in the Regional Championship. SRU last year and Assumption first round of playoffs. I'm curious to see what this team is about wish nothing but success to Dunn.

No one really know what they have until they play the games. Nobody is dominating the field, but all hope they will be contenders.

Who is going to be under center for Cal? That's a huge question mark that will determine if they win 7, 8, 9 or 10 games this season.

Homer Version 1, Homer Version 2 and the Ghost of Homer ... all hosting a tailgate party for the Coal Bowl at Adamson. All of their IUP friends are invited.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    I think the PSAC is sleeping on this young Cal team. They still have athletes just inexperienced. I think they will shock a lot of teams. They must survive the 3 week gauntlet into the Coal bowl.
    Can't say I have a feel for the '18 VULCANS....good or bad. They definitely have some top end players including several transfers that COACH DUNN will need to come through in a big way. On offense NELSON BROWN from LENOIR-RHYNE (coached for two years by Mike Keller), on defense JULIAN COX from ALBANY and on special teams DJ OPSATNIK from ALDERSON-BROADUS each have significant holes to fill. Of course the biggest hole is at QB. From what I've seen, BRIAN ALSOBROOKS is the heir apparent to MIKE KIER and I can't say he has impressed me in the little time he's been on the field. If he doesn't start I'm guessing soph ERICK TAYLOR will get the nod over freshman NOAH MITCHELL based on his familiarity with the system. My sense is a season of breaking in players who will blossom big time over the next two years. Probably 8-3 or 7-4 with an outside chance at the post season based on reputation. I would love to be way wrong on the negative. Time will tell.

What makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    What makes you think that?
    I think maybe only one person on this board has given Cal a chance to beat ODU.

That would be me. I'm backing CAL for every game...my son plays. But I am a realist...ODU will be very hard.
    This year may be down a bit, but the pieces are in place for a decent team. I've heard good things coming out of camp.

Quote Originally Posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    That would be me. I'm backing CAL for every game...my son plays. But I am a realist...ODU will be very hard.
    This year may be down a bit, but the pieces are in place for a decent team. I've heard good things coming out of camp.
    Always up for inside info. Any indication from your player which QB is getting the first team snaps?

ODU was picked to win the GMAC, Cal lost most of its top players from last year. Sure they have a chance to win, but they will be underdogs. They're picked 2nd in the PSAC west, hardly a sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Always up for inside info. Any indication from your player which QB is getting the first team snaps?
    I won't reveal what we talk about. But I can say he doesn't mention the QB situation much. There is definitely lots of competition for positions. The transfers that came in are putting lots of pressure on the "heir apparents" in many of the positions.

I won't reveal what we talk about. But I can say he doesn't mention the QB situation much. There is definitely lots of competition for positions. The transfers that came in are putting lots of pressure on the "heir apparents" in many of the positions.
    Not really looking for insider info just a confirmation that ALSOBROOKS is taking the most first team snaps. Don't mean to be nosy, but that position has A LOT to do with the team's success. If not I'll just wait two weeks and seven hours to find out.

Not really looking for insider info just a confirmation that ALSOBROOKS is taking the most first team snaps. Don't mean to be nosy, but that position has A LOT to do with the team's success. If not I'll just wait two weeks and seven hours to find out.
    LOL.

Blog Entries

I definitely do not believe that anyone around the state is sleeping on this years team at Cal.

This program is just in a major transition and this will be a very challenging year, ODU is a great program and playing them on the road will be tough. Coach Dunn has shown he can coach up his kids so we will see how his recruits start to perform early this season.
    @zsimpson_d2

I understand. One thing you can count on is: you can't count on anything until camp ends. Like I said, he doesn't say much about the QB battle. Last I heard both QBs were getting first team reps. But, I suspect that probably changed by midweek of this week. The first scrimmage is tomorrow and that will say a lot.

I understand. One thing you can count on is: you can't count on anything until camp ends. Like I said, he doesn't say much about the QB battle. Last I heard both QBs were getting first team reps. But, I suspect that probably changed by midweek of this week. The first scrimmage is tomorrow and that will say a lot.
    For not saying much, both getting reps says a lot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    ODU was picked to win the GMAC, Cal lost most of its top players from last year. Sure they have a chance to win, but they will be underdogs. They're picked 2nd in the PSAC west, hardly a sleeper.
    And this is why I also picked ODU to win the game. Not sleeping on Cal U, but ODU returns 15 (7-1st team) of its 21 All Conference players from last year. Playing at home too? Just difficult to ignored this, even though ODU too is searching for a starting QB. Now if Cal U wins then I am certain we all will give them their props.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 08-18-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    And this is why I also picked ODU to win the game. Not sleeping on Cal U, but ODU returns 15 (7-1st team) of its 21 All Conference players from last year. Playing at home too? Just difficult to ignored this, even though ODU too is searching for a starting QB. Now if Cal U wins then I am certain we all will give them their props.
    I’m gonna go out on a limb here and dare to say there is a possibility that Cal improved from last year and will handle business against ODU

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast