Thread: Preseason poll

Default Preseason poll

Well it’s out!! Harding #7, ouachita #24, SAU RV!! Let’s play some football!!

Default Re: Preseason poll

SAU very underated in this poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    Appreciate that Fred!

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    Keep in mind when it comes to preseason polls, pollsters tend to give some credence to not only how a team has done the last year, but how they have done over the past few seasons and what they had to work with.

In the case of Southern Arkansas, you had a team in 2016 that went 9-2. In a big, late-season game against Ouachita, they blew an opportunity to cement themselves in the Regional Rankings and earn a shot at a playoff spot by losing in a shootout which they should have won. Instead of a highly talented Mulerider team going 10-1 and earning a playoff spot, they ended up 9-2 and had to settle for the GAC’s auto bid in the Texarkana Bowl. Then in the Texarkana Bowl Southern Arkansas outplayed Texas A&M-Kingsville and practically dominated that game…except for the four turnovers that led to 17 points for Kingsville and a 24-17 victory for the Javelinas.

Now, look at last year (2017). Southern Arkansas returned, not a boat load, but a fleet load of talent from that 2016 team. Everything was aligned for them to make a run and win the GAC. Preseason conference polls had them number one, and on paper they looked the part. Then, week one arrives. The Muleriders don’t show up against Tech and lost. Three weeks later Southern Arkansas lost by 22-points to Northwestern Oklahoma. In weeks six and seven they struggled against Southern Nazarene and East Central. NWOSU, SNU, and ECU were teams the Muleriders should have manhandled. Later in the season Southern Arkansas lost shootouts to Henderson and Ouachita—both games they could have and should have won. They ended the season 7-4 and had to pray for an at-large bowl berth to the Heart of Texas Bowl or Corsicana Bowl, neither of which they were offered.

Fast forward to this year and Southern Arkansas still returns a bunch of talent. However, it is not anywhere near what they had last year. Now, when you consider what they have done the past two years with highly talented teams, why would a pollster put the Muleriders in the preseason top 25?

Having said all that, I would also point out this is the AFCA Coaches Poll. Many coaches don’t take the time to do the research—they just vote what they know from either experience, history/reputation, or what someone they trust has told them.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    Keep in mind when it comes to preseason polls, pollsters tend to give some credence to not only how a team has done the last year, but how they have done over the past few seasons and what they had to work with.

In the case of Southern Arkansas, you had a team in 2016 that went 9-2. In a big, late-season game against Ouachita, they blew an opportunity to cement themselves in the Regional Rankings and earn a shot at a playoff spot by losing in a shootout which they should have won. Instead of a highly talented Mulerider team going 10-1 and earning a playoff spot, they ended up 9-2 and had to settle for the GAC’s auto bid in the Texarkana Bowl. Then in the Texarkana Bowl Southern Arkansas outplayed Texas A&M-Kingsville and practically dominated that game…except for the four turnovers that led to 17 points for Kingsville and a 24-17 victory for the Javelinas.

Now, look at last year (2017). Southern Arkansas returned, not a boat load, but a fleet load of talent from that 2016 team. Everything was aligned for them to make a run and win the GAC. Preseason conference polls had them number one, and on paper they looked the part. Then, week one arrives. The Muleriders don’t show up against Tech and lost. Three weeks later Southern Arkansas lost by 22-points to Northwestern Oklahoma. In weeks six and seven they struggled against Southern Nazarene and East Central. NWOSU, SNU, and ECU were teams the Muleriders should have manhandled. Later in the season Southern Arkansas lost shootouts to Henderson and Ouachita—both games they could have and should have won. They ended the season 7-4 and had to pray for an at-large bowl berth to the Heart of Texas Bowl or Corsicana Bowl, neither of which they were offered.

Fast forward to this year and Southern Arkansas still returns a bunch of talent. However, it is not anywhere near what they had last year. Now, when you consider what they have done the past two years with highly talented teams, why would a pollster put the Muleriders in the preseason top 25?

Having said all that, I would also point out this is the AFCA Coaches Poll. Many coaches don’t take the time to do the research—they just vote what they know from either experience, history/reputation, or what someone they trust has told them.
    Good point

But you could also say they are due for a breakout year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
    But you could also say they are due for a breakout year.
    You could, and I don't think you would be wrong to make that argument. However, generally speaking, pollsters base their preseason polls on past performance (or perception of past performance) combined with returning talent, etc. They do not tend to base their preseason polls on hopes and aspirations for future performance.

You could, and I don't think you would be wrong to make that argument. However, generally speaking, pollsters base their preseason polls on past performance (or perception of past performance) combined with returning talent, etc. They do not tend to base their preseason polls on hopes and aspirations for future performance.
    I mean but with the internet now, anyone can do the research and put out their own poll. Sports Information Expert's have lost alot of the insider scoop and report, just because all of that's published free alot of times alone.

I mean but with the internet now, anyone can do the research and put out their own poll. Sports Information Expert's have lost alot of the insider scoop and report, just because all of that's published free alot of times alone.
    alot of time now I mean. Sorry if I say something stupid. I am going to blame it on the Blizzard I had from Dairy Queen.

I was referring to nationally recognized D2 polls.

alot of time now I mean. Sorry if I say something stupid. I am going to blame it on the Blizzard I had from Dairy Queen.
    Brain freezes are soooooo much fun--at least when watching as a neutral third party.

MMMMmmm... Dairy Queen Blizzard... How could that ever be stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    MMMMmmm... Dairy Queen Blizzard... How could that ever be stupid?
    When you get a Large one for Lunch and still have to do work that afternoon. All I wanted to do yesterday afternoon is sleep or watch football haha.