Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CalU 2018

  1. #1

    Default CalU 2018

    Believe it or not I believe that Cal is in an interesting crossroads where they had veterans with substantial drop offs last year in key positions. This team is extremely young but I think overall they are more athletic than last years team. Brian Alsobrooks will have the best arm talent IMO in the west if he can put the mental with the physical game. WR corps is where the Vulcans have the most experience on offense returning and should be very solid for them. Defensively I think if Asheed page and Breon coke can be what they need as far as LBers on the edge pass rushing would be the most important thing as far as make or break for this defense. Inside Backers are gonna be replaced by Brendan Blair undersized but saavy and sneaky physical. The transfer from Albany I assume is the one replacing Hrapchak. DBs are young group but we should be expecting lamont mchphatter the best DB in the PSAC to lead that young group to catch up to speed hopefully faster than last years corps who was torched regularly. The defensive line is a toss up. Young but waaay more beef in there. Overall the defense is overall more athletic IMO but without experience and mental toughness that only means so much so we shall see. Overall the two players that will be toughest to replace will be the consistent play we received from Tarver and Hrapchak week in and week out those two guys made play after play in clutch situations to win games for us. Hurts to say but Cal was very close to being possibly 3-9 instead of 9-3 and a playoff team. but that's why you play the game.

  2. #2

    Default Re: CalU 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Believe it or not I believe that Cal is in an interesting crossroads where they had veterans with substantial drop offs last year in key positions. This team is extremely young but I think overall they are more athletic than last years team. Brian Alsobrooks will have the best arm talent IMO in the west if he can put the mental with the physical game. WR corps is where the Vulcans have the most experience on offense returning and should be very solid for them. Defensively I think if Asheed page and Breon coke can be what they need as far as LBers on the edge pass rushing would be the most important thing as far as make or break for this defense. Inside Backers are gonna be replaced by Brendan Blair undersized but saavy and sneaky physical. The transfer from Albany I assume is the one replacing Hrapchak. DBs are young group but we should be expecting lamont mchphatter the best DB in the PSAC to lead that young group to catch up to speed hopefully faster than last years corps who was torched regularly. The defensive line is a toss up. Young but waaay more beef in there. Overall the defense is overall more athletic IMO but without experience and mental toughness that only means so much so we shall see. Overall the two players that will be toughest to replace will be the consistent play we received from Tarver and Hrapchak week in and week out those two guys made play after play in clutch situations to win games for us. Hurts to say but Cal was very close to being possibly 3-9 instead of 9-3 and a playoff team. but that's why you play the game.
    Best arm in PSAC, put that soup on simmer, guy never played a down of meaningful football. If I am Cal I am scared to death knowing the trigger is nowhere near what we have had for the last 10 seasons. Frankly not impressed with Cal offense, do not see the customary playmakers of yesteryear.....just sayin

  3. #3

    Default Re: CalU 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    Best arm in PSAC, put that soup on simmer, guy never played a down of meaningful football. If I am Cal I am scared to death knowing the trigger is nowhere near what we have had for the last 10 seasons. Frankly not impressed with Cal offense, do not see the customary playmakers of yesteryear.....just sayin
    You heard it from me first he has some very good arm talent

  4. #4

    Default Re: CalU 2018

    So did Ryan Leaf.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,825
    Rep Power
    55804

    Default

    I don’t understand what the low expectation issue is at Cal. People talk like that program is headed for the depths of despair. A bad season away from extinction. I don’t get it.

    Angelo Armenti was a shady dude that blindly supported football over everything else. I get it. But that program hasn’t really taken a turn for the worse since he left.

    That’s still a program that will likely win somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 games per year and be in the playoff conversation annually. People talk about this “crossroads” as if Cal is going to win 4 games a season. That hasn’t happened. And won’t.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default Re: CalU 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I don’t understand what the low expectation issue is at Cal. People talk like that program is headed for the depths of despair. A bad season away from extinction. I don’t get it.

    Angelo Armenti was a shady dude that blindly supported football over everything else. I get it. But that program hasn’t really taken a turn for the worse since he left.

    That’s still a program that will likely win somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 games per year and be in the playoff conversation annually. People talk about this “crossroads” as if Cal is going to win 4 games a season. That hasn’t happened. And won’t.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crossroads because 1. Coach Dunn is much different than Armenti and Kellar 2. The emphasis to be successful from the brass is not as prominent with President Jones

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,825
    Rep Power
    55804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Crossroads because 1. Coach Dunn is much different than Armenti and Kellar 2. The emphasis to be successful from the brass is not as prominent with President Jones

    The emphasis to be successful meant going out and getting 3rd chance guys, bad people, and criminal records. Armenti was willing to do that. And Cal got a bad name because of it. Most schools don’t have rosters comprised of mostly those types of guys.

    There’s nothing saying you can’t have a successful program built on high school recruits.

    Cal’s program isn’t going anywhere. They’ll be good enough to win 8-9 games and be in the playoff conversation most years. There’s no crossroads at all.

    We’ve been talking about the demise of Cal football for almost 5 years now. It hasn’t happened. And it won’t.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    3845

    Default Re: CalU 2018

    Last year the gloom and doom of CAL was all around. They weren't dominant like in 2016, but they found ways to win. That's what matters and it builds character to anyone who is returning. Yes, the QB spot is the biggest question on the team. They have decent backfield, especially with the transfer, this will take some pressure off of the QB. I nice WR transferred in too,which now puts 4 decent (not great) receivers in the mix.

    Personally, I feel games are won and lost in the trenches. This is where my eyes turn to on this team...what is the feedback here?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    30801

    Default

    I think the outcome of week one will have a big impact on Cal’s season. Come out of Columbus with a road win against a really good team and that’s a great platform to build a season on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •