Thread: Only one Independent school in the NCAA Division 2?

Default Only one Independent school in the NCAA Division 2?

I remember seeing about 5 or 6 schools listed as Independents last year! Now it is only UNC Pembroke. My question is; Are you independent on purpose and if so then what advantage do you have by being independent? You are already part of D2, don't you want to be part of a conference? Your administration should be looking to join a conference. My alma mater is Texas A&M Kingsville and part of the Lone Star Conference. I am just curious and i care!

Default Re: Only one Independent school in the NCAA Division 2?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Hoggie View Post
    I remember seeing about 5 or 6 schools listed as Independents last year! Now it is only UNC Pembroke. My question is; Are you independent on purpose and if so then what advantage do you have by being independent? You are already part of D2, don't you want to be part of a conference? Your administration should be looking to join a conference. My alma mater is Texas A&M Kingsville and part of the Lone Star Conference. I am just curious and i care!
    UNC Pembroke's primary D2 conference, the Peach Belt Conference, does not sponsor football. UNCP currently has a "scheduling alliance" with the South Atlantic Conference. However, with the pending addition of Virginia-Wise as a full member and granting Limestone (Conference Carolinas) an affiliate membership for football, I'd think it's a matter of time before the SAC offers Pembroke an affiliate membership opportunity. With the SAC scheduling alliance, plus regular rivalry games against CIAA opponents (particularly Winston-Salem State and Fayetteville State, for example), Pembroke isn't exactly hurting as far as filling out their schedule is concerned.
    www.facebook.com/RabsReporter
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by El-Hoggie View Post
    ctrabs summary was spot on. Now that a public school in UVA-Wise has been granted membership it seems the door is open for UNCP to get an Associate membership invite for the SAC.

When UNCP started football they sought associate membership for football in the CIAA, but the then Commissioner countered with full membership only. UNCP didn't want to leave the Peach Belt, so they opted for independent status in football. With the amount of D2 schools in NC alone, plus boarding states and even WV, UNCP has been able to consistently put together some decent schedules each year.

Barton College begins in 2020, will they affiliate with a conference or be independent?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    Barton College begins in 2020, will they affiliate with a conference or be independent?
    I see Barton at least starting out as an Independent. As others have said, remaining as an Independent has been working well for UNC Pembroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    For what it's worth it Newberry has their future schedules posted and they have Barton scheduled for 2020 and 2021.