Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNC Football Players in the shoe business.

Contribute to D2

Default UNC Football Players in the shoe business.

So, yet another scandal arises with the UNC football program. This time around 13 or 14 players caught selling their limited edition Jordan tennis shoes, for on average of over $2,000.00 a pair. The UNC coach now says that the 'players' should take responsibility of their actions, this, while he hand picks the limited games they will have to sit out. How many repeated velvet gloved slaps on the wrist does this team (and coach) get from the NCAA?

Default Re: UNC Football Players in the shoe business.

You have to love staggered suspensions.

What a message it sends, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    So, yet another scandal arises with the UNC football program. This time around 13 or 14 players caught selling their limited edition Jordan tennis shoes, for on average of over $2,000.00 a pair. The UNC coach now says that the 'players' should take responsibility of their actions, this, while he hand picks the limited games they will have to sit out. How many repeated velvet gloved slaps on the wrist does this team (and coach) get from the NCAA?
    If this had been Duke this would be front page news and the first story on CNN/Fox News and ESPN but because it's beloved Chapel Hill this will be called a "Minor Infraction" and essentially swept under the rug. UNC Basketball and Football can basically do what ever they want without real penalties handed down by the NCAA.

I'm on board with the staggered suspensions. The point is to punish the guilty players, not the entire team.

Quote Originally Posted by Braves'86 View Post
    I'm on board with the staggered suspensions. The point is to punish the guilty players, not the entire team.
    Sure, but suspending them all at once and impacting the entire team encourages peer accountability. That's how it works in the work world. The staggered suspensions is really about protecting the coach's win loss record.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Selling tennis shoes is against the rules, but the coach decides on the punishment.

Yet the school handing out A grades for bogus classes doesn't get a punishment.

How the hell can they still be an Association of American Universities school?

Money. All about the coin.

Take away all the PR fluff, ... nobody really cares about their academics, etc. It's all about the coin at that level.

Yet it’s UNC and their NC brethren that conspired on several occasions to keep West Virginia out of the ACC, which is where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by GSCfan1275 View Post
    Yet it’s UNC and their NC brethren that conspired on several occasions to keep West Virginia out of the ACC, which is where they belong.
    I know that NC State really wanted West Virginia to be in the ACC (and probably still does). Different philosophies between two close rivals.

Didn't the NCAA negate Penn State wins and punish innocent team players for
    action by their coaches.
    So UNC will pick some pansy team that they should beat by 50pts to select
    suspensions.
    Good plan for UNC.... seesh!!!

It's common knowledge in this state that UNC can get away with just about anything, especially their basketball program. it goes way back to the Dean Smith days when winning brought in truckloads of dollars and underground recruiting brought in kids who only qualified because someone "massaged" SAT scores and transcripts. The A grades in the no meeting classes taught by people with questionable credentials followed. UNC self reported and was issued a gentle slap on the wrist. Alums I know won't discuss the subject/pretend it never happened/try to convince people that Duke's infractions were far more serious/Drink copious volumes of Johnny Walker Red and eat rare beef to keep from talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WU Fan View Post
    It's common knowledge in this state that UNC can get away with just about anything, especially their basketball program. it goes way back to the Dean Smith days when winning brought in truckloads of dollars and underground recruiting brought in kids who only qualified because someone "massaged" SAT scores and transcripts. The A grades in the no meeting classes taught by people with questionable credentials followed. UNC self reported and was issued a gentle slap on the wrist. Alums I know won't discuss the subject/pretend it never happened/try to convince people that Duke's infractions were far more serious/Drink copious volumes of Johnny Walker Red and eat rare beef to keep from talking.
    Yep, and this is one of the things they don't want to talk about: http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...north-carolina.

Looks like Michigan, California, and some other school I can't remember are now caught up in this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Looks like Michigan, California, and some other school I can't remember are now caught up in this, too.
    Selling shoes or academic fraud? Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by WU Fan View Post
    On a broader scale it is pretty much common knowledge that the NCAA cuts big time BB and FB programs more slack than lesser programs.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    On a broader scale it is pretty much common knowledge that the NCAA cuts big time BB and FB programs more slack than lesser programs.
    No kidding. It has happened time after time. As my principal used to say when I was teaching- "The Gophers aren't very good cheaters. They get caught, they get punished, but they didn't even win when they were cheating."

It does matter who you are.

Blue chippers are only there one year and have to maintain a D in 12 hours of basketweaving and bball theory.

Saying any power program isn't guilty of academic fraud is just silly.

Heck now they can even go to the draft, hire an agent, etc... and still be eligible.

D1 is not College sports. It's the sports entertainment business.

I'd sell things too when I got 0% of the profit of billions of dollars that the NCAA makes off of me. Complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    Selling shoes or academic fraud? Or both?
    shoes.... possibly....they're looking into it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast