Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coaches in the hot-seat

Contribute to D2

Default Coaches in the hot-seat

My thought is we would list our coaches in the hot-seat at the beginning of the year, and then update weekly or as needed. (Surely Beck will be name dropped after the first loss)

My three coaches in the hot seat

1. NSU- Robinson. Not a lot of positives, seemed like the program had a bit of energy when he joined, but no real improvement. They are still a bottom tier program in the conference. But it seems like it will be a while before that can change.

2. WU- Schurig. I believe he is the longest lasting hc in the conference right now? Program seems to be stuck in that 4-8th in the conference range. Really a victim of having good coordinators take better positions, and not able to replace them. Team hasn't been a contender in 5 years, and with a new indoor I'm sure Alumni want a better product.

3. UCO- Bobeck. I'm not sure what happens with this program. They have been referred to as the sleeping giant. Not sure why they don't kill it in Oklahoma recruiting. Always seems very talented though. One week they look like world beaters, the next they have 5 turnovers. Quick check and his record is 30-37. I would imagine he is on the hotseat.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    My thought is we would list our coaches in the hot-seat at the beginning of the year, and then update weekly or as needed. (Surely Beck will be name dropped after the first loss)

1. NSU- Robinson. Not a lot of positives, seemed like the program had a bit of energy when he joined, but no real improvement. They are still a bottom tier program in the conference. But it seems like it will be a while before that can change.

2. WU- Schurig. I believe he is the longest lasting hc in the conference right now? Program seems to be stuck in that 4-8th in the conference range. Really a victim of having good coordinators take better positions, and not able to replace them. Team hasn't been a contender in 5 years, and with a new indoor I'm sure Alumni want a better product.

3. UCO- Bobeck. I'm not sure what happens with this program. They have been referred to as the sleeping giant. Not sure why they don't kill it in Oklahoma recruiting. Always seems very talented though. One week they look like world beaters, the next they have 5 turnovers. Quick check and his record is 30-37. I would imagine he is on the hotseat.
    Going into the season, I can’t think of any seat hotter than the one Joplin. I’d also put Bobeck warmer than Shurig, but he’s also an alum, so that might cool it a bit....really other than DJ, I think you’re right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Going into the season, I can’t think of any seat hotter than the one Joplin. I’d also put Bobeck warmer than Shurig, but he’s also an alum, so that might cool it a bit....really other than DJ, I think you’re right.
    If they fire DJ over in Joplin who could they possibly get to coach there? They will be the KU of D2. They will either have to take a flyer on a coordinator somewhere or a former head coach who has either failed in other places or has baggage. They need to give Denver another 2 years with the support that is now starting to trickle in from the administration and fan base.

4. Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

I'm thinking the rankings go:

1./1a. Robinson and Johnson. Hard to lose that many games each year for that long and not be on the hottest seat at the start of the year by default.
    3. Bobeck. Only because they're such a hot and cold program, both game by game and season by season.
    4. Beck. Ending last year with 6 straight wins was huge for him. The coach reshuffling was a move made by someone who knows another 7-4 year for him could be the end of the line. If things go south early, there will be tons of pressure. He really needs a 5-0 Aug/Sept before NW, FH and UCM come 3 in a row in October.
    5. Schurig. Washburn's indoor facility hasn't even broken ground (I run by where it is going to go 3x a week, including earlier today, so I can say this with some authority). Plus, they've bounced back with consecutive 7 win seasons after having combined for 9 wins the previous two years. I think those two years have cooled Schurig's seat quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post

1./1a. Robinson and Johnson. Hard to lose that many games each year for that long and not be on the hottest seat at the start of the year by default.
    3. Bobeck. Only because they're such a hot and cold program, both game by game and season by season.
    4. Beck. Ending last year with 6 straight wins was huge for him. The coach reshuffling was a move made by someone who knows another 7-4 year for him could be the end of the line. If things go south early, there will be tons of pressure. He really needs a 5-0 Aug/Sept before NW, FH and UCM come 3 in a row in October.
    5. Schurig. Washburn's indoor facility hasn't even broken ground (I run by where it is going to go 3x a week, including earlier today, so I can say this with some authority). Plus, they've bounced back with consecutive 7 win seasons after having combined for 9 wins the previous two years. I think those two years have cooled Schurig's seat quite a bit.
    Bragger. :)

Blog Entries

I wonder about Boda in Central. His teams are always on the cusp of going far and just doesn't seem to get over the ledge. He's such a great offensive mind that he'd last no time on the open market though.

Not saying he is, but how much does Rich Wright seat get warm if and I say IF NW misses the playoffs this year?

NW finished the year losing 3 of their last 4 and losing in the first round. Add that to missing the playoffs this year and how warm does it get?

If any at all. Really just making discussion.

Schurig definitely has to be feeling the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    Bragger. :)
    It's out for bids now … plan from what i've heard is to break ground early Jan. as bid will be awarded at December board of regent meeting

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post

These two are not operating under the same conditions we are used to seeing. In the past, they could have taken their two non-conference games and picked up some easy wins. In the past four years, Missouri Southern's first two opponents have been Fort Hays, Missouri Western, Northwest Missouri, and Emporia State. Before the conference-only scheduling, they had the luxury of gaining confidence and getting wins against Ouachita Baptist, Harding (pre-current level), Haskell, and MSU Moorhead.

11. Default Coaches in the hot-seat

Quote Originally Posted by PSR View Post
    Not saying he is, but how much does Rich Wright seat get warm if and I say IF NW misses the playoffs this year?

NW finished the year losing 3 of their last 4 and losing in the first round. Add that to missing the playoffs this year and how warm does it get?

I would say very doubtful. AD had a few tough years in 2011 and 2012 before hitting his stride in 2013, and Rich is a top-notch DC as well.

If anything, the losses last year were due to a sputtering offense from key injuries to starters across the board, plus backward regression in o-line play, play calling, development as an offense, and, IMHO, a QB who, in retrospect, should not have been a starter. That pre-season injury to Randy Schmidt killed us because he was likely a better on-field (and more mobile) QB than either Martin or Baker, and I suspect that if he had been playing last year, he would have been moved to QB alternating with Baker, as Martin’s struggles became apparent.

That said, if the offense struggles again this year, and injuries are not a factor, then there may be further temptation to shuffle things ... I’m hoping that the move to having Ozzie as a co-O coordinator is a workaround that helps compensate for some of the things that went awry last year, and lets Flohr focus on the things he is good at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lleachieshusband; 08-06-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Washburn’s $20.6 million indoor facility is out for bids now … plan from what i've heard is to break ground early Jan. as bid will be awarded at December board of regent meeting — unless a special November one is called to approve the final bid and award the contract. I heard it was a 12-14 month building depending on weather issues

13. Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    These two are not operating under the same conditions we are used to seeing. In the past, they could have taken their two non-conference games and picked up some easy wins. In the past four years, Missouri Southern's first two opponents have been Fort Hays, Missouri Western, Northwest Missouri, and Emporia State. Before the conference-only scheduling, they had the luxury of gaining confidence and getting wins against Ouachita Baptist, Harding (pre-current level), Haskell, and MSU Moorhead.
    While I don't disagree, that's very much the perspective of a die-hard fan. Hot seats are generated just as much by broad public perception. My in-laws live in Joplin and go to about 1/2 the MSSU home games. They read the paper. They don't come to the message board where we talk about how much tougher silo scheduling makes it for the bottom tier of the conference. To them and to most people, 0-11, 1-10 or 2-9 seem way worse than 3-8 or 4-7, even if the only real difference is the schedule.

14. Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

Quote Originally Posted by ichacat View Post
    Washburn’s $20.6 million indoor facility is out for bids now … plan from what i've heard is to break ground early Jan. as bid will be awarded at December board of regent meeting — unless a special November one is called to approve the final bid and award the contract. I heard it was a 12-14 month building depending on weather issues
    So in that case, the building is ready for spring ball in 2020? If so, hard to see it putting much pressure on Schurig this year. Maybe not any next year (except in recruiting).

Quote Originally Posted by PSR View Post

Depends if he can find a QB or not. Expectations weren't high for the offense last year though people thought we'd be good after destroying Emporia. Good start adding a running game this off season though. Bout time.

Quote Originally Posted by lleachieshusband View Post
    AD had a few tough years in 2011 and 2012 before hitting his stride in 2013
    Yeah, he was only 3-2 in the playoffs those years. Lucky he made it out alive.

17. Default Coaches in the hot-seat

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    I meant that in terms of fan expectations ... following a 3-time NC winner, plus multiple runners-up is kind of a hard act to follow. It goes with the territory being NW’s HC that not making or winning a natty is an off year. :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lleachieshusband; 08-07-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    some realities aren't based there.
    Go Bearcats!
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Bobeck 30-37 Wow didn't realize that.

in fairness, I think the current staff recruits locally better than those of the past. I know it is a lot tougher for Pitt to cherry pick tulsa and OKC than it used to be.
    Will the 'O' go?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast