Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coaches in the hot-seat

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

I don't think NW struggles on offense last year the way they did with AD as HC. RW is a great defensive coach but he now has 2 sides to deal with . We'll see. Last year was pretty bad for NW and offensively they looked lost.

I hope RW is D2s version of Herm Edwards.

2. Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

Quote Originally Posted by voicefromthestands View Post
    Sounds like the same arguments about 9 - 3 seasons at Nebraska. Look what that got them.
    Well it took almost 20 years, but they finally got them a pretty damn good coach

Quote Originally Posted by PSR View Post
    I don't think NW struggles on offense last year the way they did with AD as HC. RW is a great defensive coach but he now has 2 sides to deal with . We'll see. Last year was pretty bad for NW and offensively they looked lost.

I hope RW is D2s version of Herm Edwards.
    He really does not deal with the two sides, yes he is the HC, but he also turns those reins over to his co-offensive coordinators. I have to agree that last year, NW on O was completely lost. The one thing that AD exceled at, at being a HC was game planning.

Quote Originally Posted by kccatfan View Post
    The only way Wright's seat gets hot is if he sets it on fire himself....on the way out the door to a bigger/better offer from a D1 program. I don't think there's a better job in D2 than HC at NW.
    West Florida, Grand Valley, maybe Pitt would be right up there. I think a couple of the Texas schools could also make a case for being great jobs.

As far as RW (gosh i feel like a bearcat fan now because IUIFE which of course stands for I Use Initials For Everything) we will see if there is a significant leap between year 1 and year 2 as a HC. He might be a defensive wizard and able to make a lot more money with a lot less grief for his family in D1 but that doesn't make him a good head coach. Beck has a national championship on his resume and I'm still not sold on him as a great or even good head coach. The next two years will tell for both coaches.. I think Beck is an offensive genius but just because you are good on one side of the ball doesn't mean you can run an entire program.
    Last edited by Wallst; 08-10-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
    He really does not deal with the two sides, yes he is the HC, but he also turns those reins over to his co-offensive coordinators. I have to agree that last year, NW on O was completely lost. The one thing that AD exceled at, at being a HC was game planning.
    When I think of reins I think of 2 reins. Are there more than 2 when you have co-coordinators? Does each one get a separate set for a total of 4 or can you do it with two if they are lined up in a row? Does each co-coordinator then hand off his sets of reins to the position coaches? Has anyone tripped on all these reins yet? This sounds like an OSHA issue waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    When I think of reins I think of 2 reins. Are there more than 2 when you have co-coordinators? Does each one get a separate set for a total of 4 or can you do it with two if they are lined up in a row? Does each co-coordinator then hand off his sets of reins to the position coaches? Has anyone tripped on all these reins yet? This sounds like an OSHA issue waiting to happen.

On the plus side, sounds like all those headset cord GAs who lost jobs when everybody went wireless might have a place again.

As head coach you don't get to turn your head when certain areas of the team are not performing. You can do that as a coordinator but as head coach it is all your responsibility. With that responsibility comes the ability to hire, fire, give control of areas, etc but it's still the head coach's responsibility at the end of the day.

P.S. I'm still waiting for the coach(es) who have been fired because they got "sideways of that 'D' Bag Jaz".

Not really sure on how, who, what, where, when etc. gets to call the plays. All I know is their are two offensive coordinators now for NW.

But don't they hold both reins in one hand, effectively making them two reins again?
    Last edited by OICU812; 08-10-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Didn't go first time

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    As head coach you don't get to turn your head when certain areas of the team are not performing. You can do that as a coordinator but as head coach it is all your responsibility. With that responsibility comes the ability to hire, fire, give control of areas, etc but it's still the head coach's responsibility at the end of the day.
    It would seem that Wright is making an adjustment in that aspect right now.

Titles are often given in college football to get raises for coaches. Where do you think the "associate head coach" title came from?

AD is a great coach. One thing to remember though is that AD was a good offensive mind, but then on defense, he had Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by catz54 View Post
    AD is a great coach. One thing to remember though is that AD was a good offensive mind, but then on defense, he had Rich.
    One thing I believe you are all missing is that AD was a great O-line coach, which is what we were lacking last year. Hopefully, our new O-line coach will get the guys in place to get the job done. I really feel with the lack of RB's last year also contributed to the lack of O. I'm betting that gets turned around this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    You can't trust those numbers. Even the numbers reported for entire athletic budgets are suspect.
    NW has to have one of the five largest football budgets in DII.

Their goalpost budget alone makes other budgets pale in comparison.

It would seem that Wright is making an adjustment in that aspect right now.
    For sure, but since he has the power to make that adjustment it still comes back on him at the end of the day. If it works then he made a good decision and he owns the praise for making that decision. If it fails because the team wasn't prepared or didn't perform then it's on him for making a poor decision with that adjustment. Maybe it wasn't the right decision or it wasn't the right staff member in the position but at the end of the day he has to own it as the head coach. He can't just say the offense is not his problem because he gave the offensive coordinators full authority. He's ultimately responsible for all facets of the team. That's the nature of being the head coach versus being a coordinator. A coordinator can have their unit playing great and no one can really fault them for what happens on the other side of the ball (in general) but you don't have that luxury as a head coach, even if you have a knack for one side of the ball over the other.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    One thing I believe you are all missing is that AD was a great O-line coach, which is what we were lacking last year. Hopefully, our new O-line coach will get the guys in place to get the job done. I really feel with the lack of RB's last year also contributed to the lack of O. I'm betting that gets turned around this year.
    +1 - I think, in addition to coaching the O-line, AD also helped with the run game coaching as well, so there was a little more consistency/communication between the O-line and the backs. I’m hopeful that the new coach will get the job done as well, but last year seemed like there was less emphasis on opening the hole at the line and getting out of the way of the back, and more emphasis on downfield blocking ... which often ended with the downfield blockers getting stacked up and stalling out the back behind them. Hopefully, that will improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD was really good at scheming around offensive line deficiencies.

18. Default Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

Not really sure on how, who, what, where, when etc. gets to call the plays. All I know is their are two offensive coordinators now for NW.
    JO is calling the plays and the hope is the new OL coach from last year is better acclimated to the situation to help in getting the line to play better. If the OL doesn't play better NW won't be any better this year. Perhaps having QB's that are at least a little more mobile might help offset the OL's woes, we'll have to see if that's the case with whomever the starter will be.

You can't trust those numbers. Even the numbers reported for entire athletic budgets are suspect.
    Suspect enough that they can't even keep Boyce on staff....

SMFH.

Quote Originally Posted by libertybearcat View Post
    JO is calling the plays and the hope is the new OL coach from last year is better acclimated to the situation to help in getting the line to play better. If the OL doesn't play better NW won't be any better this year. Perhaps having QB's that are at least a little more mobile might help offset the OL's woes, we'll have to see if that's the case with whomever the starter will be.
    That will be the 10k question. We have another QB that is a good pocket passer, we have another qb that can scramble and throw, but not that great (yet) of a pocket passer. Seems to me that we will be continuing with our 2 qb system.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast