Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: NSIC women's hoops

Contribute to D2

Default Re: NSIC women's hoops

Northern holds on to snap its long losing streak

As much as everyone likes to pick on Crookston...my goodness it is hard to imagine having a bigger uphill battle than turning around Upper Iowa womens hoops.

A minute into the 1st quarter the NasU woman were leading 16-9. Time with the lead, NSU 13:10 and now Duluth 15:48. Bulldogs lead 58-35....wow.

As we know, this isnt a good year for the Wolves but Duluth has look very good and I sure hope, for their sake, they can make it into the regional. Not as good as the Augie or NSU team of last year, but good enough to be deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    As much as everyone likes to pick on Crookston...my goodness it is hard to imagine having a bigger uphill battle than turning around Upper Iowa womens hoops.
    SMSU of the previous decade wasn't much better

EDIT: We went 0-fer against UIU between 2012-13 and 2015-16
    Last edited by Stanger86; 02-15-2019 at 07:17 PM.

SMSU wins 90-46. Per Twitter, that's the biggest blowout win for SMSU against D2 schools since beating Morris in the 2002 NSIC Tournament. Mustangs went 24-8 and lost to SDSU in the region championship that year.

Not related, but related....

This is also why I believe it's good to hire coaches with strong ties to a region or school. In many cases, a coach with no ties would take the turnaround at SMSU or a potential turnaround at UIU and use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Not saying a coach like Webb wouldn't do that or that all non-local coaches use their jobs as stepping stones, but I think it's harder to pull away a coach when there's strong ties keeping him at the school.

Hard not to be pleased with the current state of SMSU basketball, with two SMSU alums leading the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Not related, but related....

This is also why I believe it's good to hire coaches with strong ties to a region or school. In many cases, a coach with no ties would take the turnaround at SMSU or a potential turnaround at UIU and use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Not saying a coach like Webb wouldn't do that or that all non-local coaches use their jobs as stepping stones, but I think it's harder to pull away a coach when there's strong ties keeping him at the school.

Hard not to be pleased with the current state of SMSU basketball, with two SMSU alums leading the programs.
    I kind of get what you ate saying but if someone is using a place as a stepping stone winning virtually no games, their next stone is going to be a new line of work.

Womens game had 4,311 on hand. Good Bless Ethanol night, haha

I kind of get what you ate saying but if someone is using a place as a stepping stone winning virtually no games, their next stone is going to be a new line of work.
    Talking about whoever gets UIU back on track, not the current coaches. Though you're right that it may be a tougher task than even SMSU was. Coaching history since they joined the NSIC....

Kelly Kielsmeier 0-11 0.000
    Micha Thompson 9-63 0.125 (Oklahoma native / Utah state assistant)
    Carol Russell 28-136 0.170 (Nebraska grad / UNK coach)
    Mike Brown 7-40 0.148 (Drake grad / ICCC coach)
    Ben Conrad 16-42 0.276 (UNI grad / DMACC coach)

I was really hoping UIU would have press releases archived of who the finalists were each time.....

Talking about whoever gets UIU back on track, not the current coaches. Though you're right that it may be a tougher task than even SMSU was. Coaching history since they joined the NSIC....

Kelly Kielsmeier 0-11 0.000
    Micha Thompson 9-63 0.125 (Oklahoma native / Utah state assistant)
    Carol Russell 28-136 0.170 (Nebraska grad / UNK coach)
    Mike Brown 7-40 0.148 (Drake grad / ICCC coach)
    Ben Conrad 16-42 0.276 (UNI grad / DMACC coach)

I was really hoping UIU would have press releases archived of who the finalists were each time.....
    With all you have going on on a a Friday night I'm shocked you had time to do this! Haha. 60-292...yikes

With all you have going on on a a Friday night I'm shocked you had time to do this! Haha. 60-292...yikes
    I didn't really have time, but here I am....

I didn't really have time, but here I am....
    It's addicting! My wife yells at me all the time. "You really need to just get a job doing all that stuff. You are ridiculous."

It's addicting! My wife yells at me all the time. "You really need to just get a job doing all that stuff. You are ridiculous."
    Luckily my job is at least somewhat related

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Mav women led 41-31 at half. In the third quarter Droost finally scored right before the buzzer to bring the total points to five in that stanza. Throw in a whole bunch of turnovers and the final result was the same as the men's game. Another disappointment.

Mavs win 86-67 as Upper Iowa remains winless in the NSIC. 4 Mavs in double figures- and I have no idea why their leading scorer Taylor Droost didn't play.

Matt Zimmer

Verified account

@argusmattz
    15s15 seconds ago
    More
    Final: @USFcougars_wbb 76, @AugieWBB 62. Kaely Hummel with 28 points for the Cougars, who win their 7th straight and 20th of the year.

Moorhead clinches share of overall NSIC title. Concordia clinches share of South title.

19. Default Re: NSIC women's hoops

Congratulations to Moorhead women on securing the nsic regular season championship. Also, only one senior on the team. Future is bright.

The current No. 5 seed in the North would have the eighth-best record in the South.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast