Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Urban

Default OT: Urban

Urban Meyer placed on paid leave by Ohio State as a result of current scandal.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: OT: Urban

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Urban Meyer placed on paid leave by Ohio State as a result of current scandal.
    I wonder why this t-shirt is now unavailable.

https://www.fanatics.com/nike-ohio-s...417-3553021474

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have to can him.

Poor guy.

5. Default Re: OT: Urban

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

He's a complete douchebag! Beep him!

-

The chickens were eventually going to come home to roost for Urban Meyer.

Leaves Utah and they went on probation.

Has apparent health issues at Florida as soon as the NCAA comes sniffing.

He puts on a good front. People in Columbus love him. They like the constant jabs at Harbaugh. Him and his wife have all these charities. He’s always telling stories about his daughters. He tries his best to sound like a humble guy, a true Ohioan, and somebody who operates ethically.

He’s a scumbag.

I was at lunch with some coworkers a couple months ago and I said that I would be surprised if Urban Meyer was still Ohio State’s coach. Needless to say, I started quite the riot.

The Big Ten is becoming the conference of controversy.

7. Default Re: OT: Urban

He puts on a good front. People in Columbus love him. They like the constant jabs at Harbaugh. Him and his wife have all these charities. He’s always telling stories about his daughters. He tries his best to sound like a humble guy, a true Ohioan, and somebody who operates ethically.

He’s a scumbag.

I was at lunch with some coworkers a couple months ago and I said that I would be surprised if Urban Meyer was still Ohio State’s coach. Needless to say, I started quite the riot.

A good observation. Indeed it is. It really is shocking how many bad things have happened within the Big 10.

I never much cared for Big 10 ball that much. I like ACC and Pac-12.

Yeah, Meyer has always struck me as a world class jerk.

-

I thought the Big 10 was the Ivy League? I guess I work with too many of its a-holes.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    A good observation. Indeed it is. It really is shocking how many bad things have happened within the Big 10.

I never much cared for Big 10 ball that much. I like ACC and Pac-12.

Yeah, Meyer has always struck me as a world class jerk.

-
    The Big 10 and the SEC are, I believe, royally corrupt. And I get it. There’s a lot of good, successful, blue blood type programs in those conferences. But you can just tell a lot of stuff is covered up from all of the programs in both of those conferences.

With the exception of Ohio State and Columbus, none of those towns in the Big 10 or SEC are really in a city so to speak. A lot of them like LSU and Georgia are 60-90 minutes away from a big city, but for the most part, those schools are all in small towns.

They rule the roost in their area. People shut up about rumors. People don’t talk. The media doesn’t investigate the off field stuff. Stuff like what happened at Penn State, Michigan State, etc. There’s no way that stuff is able to happen in large cities with legitimate big time media surrounding those programs 24/7.

Journalists and media members love to break a story. But there’s a price to pay if you break the wrong type of story in those towns. Make no mistake about it. Local people who were some of the first on the ground with the Jerry Sandusky and Penn State scandal got death threats. They had to move. Get new jobs. Their lives were significantly altered simply because they investigated and reported uncomfortable issues. People care so much about the team they root for in these towns that they would be willing to kill somebody to not break or investigate a story because it would impact their football team’s ability to win.

College athletics is corrupt. I hate Division 1 football more and more each year. I think I began hating it more once I moved to Columbus. I moved to Ohio with every intention of adopting Ohio State as a team I rooted for. After a year, I found I just couldn’t do it.

All of these scandals are self created by us as fans. We keep watching. We keep buying tickets. We keep paying attention. There’s so much money coming in because of us as fans. These programs are willing to do whatever it takes to cover up any anything that could be seen as a black eye on their program. That’s the root of all of this.

Last edited by IUP24; 08-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.

I thought the Big 10 was the Ivy League? I guess I work with too many of its a-holes.
    I wrote a report one time for a project I had for work at Ohio State. When I received the review back from the senior project manger, every time I referenced “Ohio State University,” it was changed to “The Ohio State University.” Im not kidding.

I thought to myself.. “what a bunch of arrogant pieces of trash.”

Last edited by IUP24; 08-01-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Fair point but remember what these programs are worth to said small towns from a dollar standpoint.

How much coin gets left in Creepy Valley every home weekend? A freaking ton. Money talks. Always does.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

With the exception of Ohio State and Columbus, none of those towns in the Big 10 or SEC are really in a city so to speak. A lot of them like LSU and Georgia are 90 minutes away from a big city, but for the most part, those schools are all in small towns.
    The University of Minnesota is located in Minneapolis. Northwestern is located in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    The University of Minnesota is located in Minneapolis. Northwestern is located in Chicago.

My apologies. I think my point was this...

The traditional blue blood programs that bring in major cash, go to big bowl games, and battle for 5 star recruits aren’t located in big cities.

Nobody thinks of the Big 10 and thinks Northwestern and Minnesota football. Just like nobody thinks of the SEC and thinks of Vanderbilt.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post

And Ann Arbor is really just a far suburb of Detroit.

Fair point but remember what these programs are worth to said small towns from a dollar standpoint.

How much coin gets left in Creepy Valley every home weekend? A freaking ton. Money talks. Always does.

You aren’t wrong. But I think that also proves my point. We as fans created the cash cow that is major college football. Somehow it became important to drive an RV seven hours just to stand outside of a stadium and watch a game on a 20 inch television powered by a generator. Dropping 1,000 bucks on a weekend like that became important somehow.

We’re indirectly responsible for the problem that exists in college football. If it was only a football game, it wouldn’t be an issue. But like you said, it’s part of the economic model for those towns. Some of these places could be on life support 9 months out of the year, but they survive because of 6 Saturday’s that happen during 3 months of the year.

If a reporter breaks a story that could destroy a football program, they’re disrupting more than just football fans. I get it. But again, we created this culture.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    And Ann Arbor is really just a far suburb of Detroit.

You must’ve missed my post where I said a lot of those towns are like 60-90 minutes away from cities.

Point is, they’re mostly all small towns.

He’s a scumbag.

Yeah, this is spot on. I live 15 minutes from the OSU campus, so pretty much ground zero. Columbus is a great city with a booming economy, but the Ohio State football thing is way over the top. These people are almost in a hypnotic state. It’s hard to even explain, but you can get a taste of it by hoping over to Twitter to see the dumpster fire.

I’ve had a couple of personal interactions with Meyer, I wouldn’t call them good or bad. That said, I’ve talked with many who really know him and they paint a pretty ugly picture. I’m certainly not surprised by this situation, and deep down, a lot of people around here aren’t either.

This is a dirty program and the local media does its best to cover it up. Zeke Elliott is just one example in the spotlight as there have been dozens of others you never heard about. I doubt it changes with the next head coach.

Always say ... most egotistical fanbases ...

1. Ohio State
    2. Steelers Yinzer Nation
    3. IUP

Always say ... most egotistical fanbases ...

1. Ohio State
    2. Steelers Yinzer Nation
    3. IUP

A lot of the more egotistical fan bases are in the two conferences discussed above.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are right up there as some of the more egotistical and delusional fan bases out there. Alabama and LSU are like that in the SEC.

I liked EyeOfTheHawk’s word choice. “Hypnotic state.” That’s perfect. That perfectly describes what Ohio citizens are like towards Ohio State football.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Yeah, this is spot on. I live 15 minutes from the OSU campus, so pretty much ground zero. Columbus is a great city with a booming economy, but the Ohio State football thing is way over the top. These people are almost in a hypnotic state. It’s hard to even explain, but you can get a taste of it by hoping over to Twitter to see the dumpster fire.

I’ve had a couple of personal interactions with Meyer, I wouldn’t call them good or bad. That said, I’ve talked with many who really know him and they paint a pretty ugly picture. I’m certainly not surprised by this situation, and deep down, a lot of people around here aren’t either.

This is a dirty program and the local media does its best to cover it up. Zeke Elliott is just one example in the spotlight as there have been dozens of others you never heard about. I doubt it changes with the next head coach.

I was talking to a friend of mine today about the state of college football. His text to me read like this.. “Show me a clean football program and I’ll show you a losing football program.” He’s right.

People want to believe that tradition and attendance numbers keep the big programs on top. There are reasons that there’s only about 10 schools that get the really good recruits every year. These programs are all dirty in some capacity. And it’s a whole operation.

When Pitt was a national program years ago, Tony Dorsett is a perfect example the questions of recruiting and ethics. Here’s a poor kid from Aliquippa that didn’t have two nickels to rub together. His first week on campus he’s spotted driving a brand new corvette. Explain that one.

The media helps cover it up in a lot of places. The fans are brainwashed too. It was a matter of time before something leaked out of Ohio State. Alabama will get theirs eventually too.

Peel back the curtains for most of the big programs. Most people won’t like what they find. And as I stated multiple times in this thread already, we’re all indirectly to blame for that.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast