Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

  1. #1

    Default CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    I saw the preseason ranking and I feel like Mines is going to be a lot better than most people think. Mesa lost 24 seniors last year, but I expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season. CSU Pueblo has a lot of young talent and it's going to be interesting to see how they use it. On the offensive side of the ball the CSU Pueblo's offensive line is a mystery after losing most of their starters to graduation; however, I believe Wristen had brought in two transfers. For the quarterback position there are choices. Does CSU Pueblo bring back Brandon Edwards as its starter or move away from pro-set to a spread or read option offense with AJ Thompson? I honestly am more excited about about Gunnar Lamphere than Edwards or Thompson.

    One thing is for sure, I do not think the Thunderwolves should try to play two quarterbacks again this year.
    Last edited by WalterCampFan; 08-01-2018 at 07:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    4,743
    Rep Power
    392748

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Well the fact that Pueblo doesnt play in Durango this year should help! He he

  3. #3

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    I saw the preseason ranking and I feel like Mines is going to be a lot better than most people think. Mesa lost 24 seniors last year, but I expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season. CSU Pueblo has a lot of young talent and it's going to be interesting to see how they use it. On the offensive side of the ball the CSU Pueblo's offensive line is a mystery after losing most of their starters to graduation; however, I believe Wristen had brought in two transfers. For the quarterback position there are choices. Does CSU Pueblo bring back Brandon Edwards as its starter or move away from pro-set to a spread or read option offense with AJ Thompson? I honestly am more excited about about Gunnar Lamphere than Edwards or Thompson.

    One thing is for sure, I do not think the Thunderwolves should try to play two quarterbacks again this year.
    I think you are right with Mines. Along with the T-Wolves the play at QB is a big question. Mines QB's last year just wasn't what I became used to. Garcia-Brown then Dvorak. They are going to return a good running game, which is a switch. The defense was young last year, so should only get better. Only time will tell.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    11076

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Durango! Sloooooowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by inch. . . . . . .
    Sprinkles are for winners!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, CO
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    3000

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    I saw the preseason ranking and I feel like Mines is going to be a lot better than most people think. Mesa lost 24 seniors last year, but I expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season. CSU Pueblo has a lot of young talent and it's going to be interesting to see how they use it. On the offensive side of the ball the CSU Pueblo's offensive line is a mystery after losing most of their starters to graduation; however, I believe Wristen had brought in two transfers. For the quarterback position there are choices. Does CSU Pueblo bring back Brandon Edwards as its starter or move away from pro-set to a spread or read option offense with AJ Thompson? I honestly am more excited about about Gunnar Lamphere than Edwards or Thompson.

    One thing is for sure, I do not think the Thunderwolves should try to play two quarterbacks again this year.
    That is true on the transfers. One is from Baylor, He is 6'5" and 360, the other is from New Mexico State. I don't have the height and weight. We will see what the new Offense Coord has in store for the offense. All three QB's have positives and negatives. We should know in about 3 weeks on who wins the starting job. Defense again is the strong area for the team. They also have a new Running Backs coach. Don't know much about him.

  6. #6

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    How’s the Humboldt transfer Todd doing? He’s a very good player, should contribute huge

  7. #7

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Symo's coaching impact is being felt on the O-line. Glad he's back. Maul U!

    https://twitter.com/i/status/1029085994392334336

  8. #8

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    From the Pueblo Chieftain -- an interview of CSUP’s new offensive coordinator, Mike McCarty. Here's an excerpt from the article.

    "McCarty's offense will be more wide open than teams of the past.

    'This is a run-based offense and we will continue to be run-based, but it'll look a little different,' he said. 'We'd like to throw the ball more consistently.'

    Without giving away game plans, McCarty went on: 'We're more of eye-candy, speed sweeps, power oriented, lot of reads by the QB in the run game. Not the old-fashioned power. We have those but they are presented differently. We're giving the defense a lot more to think about. We don't want people to line up and say this formation, they are running power. It doesn't look like it did in the past and the amount of play action we use will be much more."

    Gory Shaw, the offensive coordinator, left after at the end of last season after 3 years of substandard performance. Pack fans got weary of watching the offense line up in a 3-tight-end formation and run the ball into the strength of the opposing team's defense. Looking forward to the change.

  9. Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    From the Pueblo Chieftain -- an interview of CSUP’s new offensive coordinator, Mike McCarty. Here's an excerpt from the article.

    "McCarty's offense will be more wide open than teams of the past.

    'This is a run-based offense and we will continue to be run-based, but it'll look a little different,' he said. 'We'd like to throw the ball more consistently.'

    Without giving away game plans, McCarty went on: 'We're more of eye-candy, speed sweeps, power oriented, lot of reads by the QB in the run game. Not the old-fashioned power. We have those but they are presented differently. We're giving the defense a lot more to think about. We don't want people to line up and say this formation, they are running power. It doesn't look like it did in the past and the amount of play action we use will be much more."

    Gory Shaw, the offensive coordinator, left after at the end of last season after 3 years of substandard performance. Pack fans got weary of watching the offense line up in a 3-tight-end formation and run the ball into the strength of the opposing team's defense. Looking forward to the change.
    Totally agree Lobo. These past three years were subpar after Daren left his position. To show where we have been here is a snippet of Coach Wilkinson's Bio on the Texas A&M. Kingsville website.

    In just their seventh season since reinstating football, CSU-Pueblo averaged nearly 35 points per game and 400 yards per game. Under his guidance, quarterback Chris Bonner was propelled to All-America honorable mention honors in 2013 and this season, ranks 18th in the nation with 30 passing touchdowns.

    Three offensive players, including running back Cameron McDondle earned Daktronics All-Super Region 4 honors as Colorado State-Pueblo earned its fourth consecutive Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference crown and reached the NCAA Division II Playoffs for the fourth straight season. Four offensive players were named to the Don Hansen All-Super Region 4 team.

    In his first season as offensive coordinator for the Pack, Wilkinson guided CSU-Pueblo to 509.3 yards of offensive per game and 42.7 points per contest, ranked sixth and seventh nationally, respectively. Bonner received all-region accolades, tallying 33 touchdowns, seventh most in the country.

    Wilkinson joined CSU-Pueblo after nearly four seasons as the quarterbacks coach and assistant recruiting coordinator for NCAA Division I program and his alma mater, Colorado State University. Serving under Rams coach Steve Fairchild from 2008-12, he helped lead Colorado State to the New Mexico Bowl championship in 2008. That season, his offense ranked in the top 40 nationally and former CSU quarterback Billy Farris went on to play in the National Football League with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009. While at CSU, his recruiting areas included San Diego, North Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, North Calif., Ariz., Nev., Utah and all quarterback prospects.

  10. Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Kind of looking like Brandon Edwards might be the starter for game one. Am I right on this?

    Also, CSU Pueblo is stacked at running back and wide receiver this year. Any word on who will start in those positions?

  11. #11

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by WalterCampFan View Post
    Kind of looking like Brandon Edwards might be the starter for game one. Am I right on this?

    Also, CSU Pueblo is stacked at running back and wide receiver this year. Any word on who will start in those positions?

    Who else? Bernard McDondle ...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, CO
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    3000

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    The Pack Defense looks great and will be a force to deal with by the opponent's. The Pack offense has me worried! QB's are inconsistent. Receivers dropping balls that they should catch. OL missing assignments. Symo about to lose his voice from all the yelling. The Backs are about the only thing that are a plus! As long as they don't get too banged up, the position will not be a problem. A few have minor bangs already. I just don't know watching them for 4 weeks now everyday. Worried!

  13. #13

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by Packfootball View Post
    The Pack Defense looks great and will be a force to deal with by the opponent's. The Pack offense has me worried! QB's are inconsistent. Receivers dropping balls that they should catch. OL missing assignments. Symo about to lose his voice from all the yelling. The Backs are about the only thing that are a plus! As long as they don't get too banged up, the position will not be a problem. A few have minor bangs already. I just don't know watching them for 4 weeks now everyday. Worried!

    Does the defense look so good because the offense is so bad? Or does the offense look so bad because the defense is so good? Or a combination of both? Either way, it appears the T-Wolves are going to have trouble when they have the ball.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,390
    Rep Power
    177111

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Doesn't help that Wristen and Co. have not once recruited a QB out of high school that has played at the level needed to win when it counts. They have relied almost exclusively on JUCO kids that are in the program for two years tops. Why can they not recruit the QB position effectively?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, CO
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    3000

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Does the defense look so good because the offense is so bad? Or does the offense look so bad because the defense is so good? Or a combination of both? Either way, it appears the T-Wolves are going to have trouble when they have the ball.
    When the offense is clicking on all cylinders they look good. Problem is consistency. They have made our defense look bad at times. But a few of defense problems have been broken assignments. That's happens at all levels of football. The offense is still trying to grasp a new system. Lots of kinks that still need to be worked out. But at least they will be exciting to watch when they are firing on all eleven cylinders!

  16. #16

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Doesn't help that Wristen and Co. have not once recruited a QB out of high school that has played at the level needed to win when it counts. They have relied almost exclusively on JUCO kids that are in the program for two years tops. Why can they not recruit the QB position effectively?
    Most good QB's who would be a fit are looking to go FCS or FBS, prospects be damned. If that is not at all in the cards, they want to go somewhere they can sling the ball. You know, instant gratification, kind of the way our society is. Leadership and skill in all phases seems to go by the wayside at the H.S. spread offense level. Seems like it would be tough to find H.S. kids who run that type of scheme.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, CO
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    3000

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Heard a coach say that the Pack Offense will be either very good or stink the place up. Guess we will find out today.

  18. #18

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by Packfootball View Post
    Heard a coach say that the Pack Offense will be either very good or stink the place up. Guess we will find out today.

    "There was a little girl, Who had a little curl, Right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, She was very good indeed, But when she was bad she was horrid."

    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

  19. #19

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    CSUP scored on six plays of over 65 yards or more. Hadn't seen that in the last few years. The ground game racked up 496 yards while the defense gave up only 68 yards on the ground. The T-Wolves posted 11.3 yards per carry and allowed Dixie just 1.4 yards per rush.

    One thing really stood out on offense. The O-line blocked to the whistle. Symo deserves all the credit for that. Thank you Wristen for bringing him back! New O Coordinator deserves credit too. As for the defense ... solid as usual.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, CO
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    3000

    Default Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    CSUP scored on six plays of over 65 yards or more. Hadn't seen that in the last few years. The ground game racked up 496 yards while the defense gave up only 68 yards on the ground. The T-Wolves posted 11.3 yards per carry and allowed Dixie just 1.4 yards per rush.

    One thing really stood out on offense. The O-line blocked to the whistle. Symo deserves all the credit for that. Thank you Wristen for bringing him back! New O Coordinator deserves credit too. As for the defense ... solid as usual.
    The o-line did good. BUT, they did miss assignments! Branden(4-5-0) did good, AJ (0-4-1), well stunk the place up with passing, but did run good. Running backs found the holes and exploded but dropped the ball way to many times (5 fumbles 4 lost)! Kicking Game was good even when the wind got blowing out of the north for the second half. But remember who this game was against. Dixie States defense just got it's tail whipped. And the offense got sacked! Guess we will find out for sure against Chadron next week how real this team is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •